Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unstuck, And How It Makes Everyone Happy.

Azure_Kytia

There are methods to implement /unstuck that I believe have virtually no cons save from a little development time.

For example, an unstuck function that becomes available after <x> period of time of being in the same location (give or take 4 or 5 on the x/y/z values to account for wriggle room). If you fall out of the map, the game could check whether the warframe has reached minimum z value, and is jumping to max z value. If that flag is tripped, unstuck would then become available.

This unstuck function could repurpose the code that spawns items back to an origin location on a tile, or just where the items themselves respawn when they fall out of bounds. When using Unstuck, the player would have a screenshot taken of their surroundings, as well as the EE.log file and their CurrentTile, warframe x/y/z values being uploaded to DE's server tied with an ID number. The user could then optionally include instructions on how to reproduce the stick, if further information is necessary.

After these processes have taken place, the warframe would then reappear on the origin point of the last tile they entered.

This way, we see a number of positive changes, for both players and developers:

Developers:

- When a warframe gets stuck in a map, they have access to information faster.

- They get more feedback, as the vast majority of players simply ignore getting stuck, abort and restart, to growing frustrations. This helps indicate how prominent particular issues are.

- Decreases the amount of useless feedback (e.g. A forum post "I was in this room and then this happened but I didn't take a screenshot and I can't remember which room it was in.")

- Know exactly where an issue takes place, due to the x/y/z coordinates of the Warframe being recorded.

- Automatically have the ability to reproduce the level that the player encountered the issue in, due to the EE.log being uploaded as well.

Players:

- Can explore and break the game to their fullest capabilities without fear of losing their sweet loot from the run (I've lost a despair BP because of getting stuck, it is not a happy feeling and does drive players to leave, I'm sure)

- Can provide feedback in-game, without a 5-10 minute break to screenshot, make a thread, etc. It's all done automagically. You can however, still provide additional information if you wish to.

It's been said a bajillion times, I know.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

What happens if you fall through the map, and thus, are constantly in motion?

For that issue, it could check to see whether the warframe is jumping from minimum z value to max z value. If it is, then you've clearly fallen out of the map, and unstuck could be visible. I apologize for not putting that into the OP.

Then there is also another request in this subforum somewhere that asks for teleport layers to be added at the bottom of every tile, or a hard-coded limit could be implemented a little higher up than it currently is to spawn you back to the last tile you accessed.

Check the livestream, They don't want to implement a developer tool like unstuck when you can report the issue, and have it fixed by the design team. That's why no unstuck feature.

Guess you never listened properly then, or you would remember that it was me that asked the question in the first place. I don't believe that the answer Scott provided is an entirely acceptable one, given that his response was so short sighted. Therefore, I am presenting a solution that explains how it can be implemented that resolves his issues with such a feature.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

I agree. Scott's answer ignored what seemed immediately apparent solutions do the issues (there are real issues with it).

One worry from the player's perspective is history: Developers sometimes use blanket "unstuck" commands as a sign that they are giving up on fixing issues, which none of us want. A parallel example is when a developer discovers that players are farming massively by getting on a hill that the melee-only mobs can't reach, so it is safe no matter how low level the player is. The solution? Give every mob a ranged attack . . . WAIT WHAT? But it happens.

I think this can be resolved and help both sides, and I hope it is. Soon. One of my friends quit playing because he fell through the floor twice in a row on Kiste. I can't blame him, after 15 minutes and having it all thrown away when you only have an hour a day to relax away from kids and wife? Not worth it if 20% of your free time is spent waiting/quitting/etc.

I agree with this thread.  All of it.  You all have good and valid thoughts and I hope that you are all heard.  Also, I've made a huge mistake.

True, unstuck is a "cop-out" but not having it causes issues in a "Finalized" product.  I had many times playing Transformers: FoC where I fell about 3 feet through the map.  JUST BELOW it, couldn't participate and had to quit or wait till the end of game.  

Since this game is beta, and 3 months old at that, I am sure we are early in the "Please give us a /unstuck" command", as frustrating as getting stuck. is.

Learn to laugh at opening a door and seeing an invisible floor, and how to laugh harder as your friend or fellow ninja run past you and fall in to Infinity and Beyond.

Guest failscapade

So in effect, their customers can all go to hell because they want to be pedantically correct in their solution?

I just fell through the map on the special weekend defense alert. I was globing the team and it seems they lost too.

I couldn't get back in because the mission had "expired", and they want me to file a ticket to help them fix

the root cause but any mods or goodies that me or my group lost... doesn't matter?

If there was ever an instance of a game breaking bug, this is it. Please reconsider DE, for no better reason

than if you implement a workaround, you stop your problem also being your customers problem.

• 2 weeks later...

it just makes me wonder what the purpose of an 'open beta' is. I assumed playing a game in beta was to help iron out bugs. We're paying for the privelage to bugtest for them, and the tools to report gamebreakers aren't provided to us.

Why DO I play this game again?