Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Cosplay

Kielix7

Fellow Tenno, Community Moderators, and DE, I need your help.

I've been a fan of this game for a while now, and I've had a lot of fun playing it. I've talked to a lot of people about this game, both in real life, and from regularly stream this game on Twitch.tv, and the people that I've talked to really enjoy the game. I don't think this game necessarily needs more promoting, but hell, it couldn't hurt.

So, an idea that I had for promoting this game, as well as furthering my personal agenda, is making a Rhino cosplay.

Without making this a bleeding heart thread, all I'm going to say is that there are multiple reasons why I want to do this. I am going through massive changes, physically, and mentally. I'm going to try and make this thread one that I regularly post updates with my progress, but primarily, I wanted to make it primarily about making a full Rhino suit.

In short, I will say: I am not an engineer, I am not much of an artist, and I've never cosplayed before. This isn't going to be a suit made with spandex and taped plastic armor. This is going to be a masterpiece, and I'm planning on working for this in insane detail to get everything right. 

Knowing these things, I feel kind of stupid to ask for help, regarding my lack of knowledge, but I'd be more than willing to try, and take any advice.

So, right now, I'm just drawing out rough sketches and just trying to get an understanding to the proportions of the frame. I'm also trying to calculate (primarily guesswork) as to how big this suit would have to be to look natural.

In closing, I would like to ask anyone if they have any information that could help, such as:

-sketches

-wireframe or zbrush models

-specific recommended programs

-anything else I can't think of

Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Kielix7

well I could help you with some stuff depends how much money you've got for cosplay, and which materials you're allergic to, and how long do you wish to wear it? (up to 6h, the whole day etc)

edit: ah about the money: I'm not asking you to pay me, but I can't provide you good datasheets for cosplay if you're not willing to spend some money in the costume

Edited by SeiraSunmin

Get in game using Rhino, find a well lit area and press F6 for screen captures. (side, front, back, angles.) Take screen captures from capture folder, out in photoshop and crop the Rhino. Print those, skip sketches. Mess around with filters to possible create an outline of armor pieces (or scrub with brush, if you are seeking a black and white outline image or something). Take photo of self, crop, and scale to armor. Do side by side prints; overlays (faded layer of Rhino over self); side, front, back, angles.

good luck

Alternatively, google "Rhino Warframe" in image search for other possible stuff. Might be something to use in https://warframe.com/community/fankit

https://warframe.com/game/warframes/rhino

screen shots of Mods for Rhino (lil Rhino drawings); http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rhino_(Warframe)

Merely suggestions for image acquisition.....

materials, parts, and assembly are up to u. good luck

Edited by Floham

Get in game using Rhino, find a well lit area and press F6 for screen captures. (side, front, back, angles.) Take screen captures from capture folder, out in photoshop and crop the Rhino. Print those, skip sketches. Mess around with filters to possible create an outline of armor pieces (or scrub with brush). Take photo of self, crop, and scale to armor. Do side by side prints; overlays (faded layer of Rhino over self); side, front, back, angles.

good luck

Alternatively, google "Rhino Warframe" in image search for other possible stuff. Might be something to use in https://warframe.com/community/fankit

screen shots of Mods for Rhino (lil Rhino drawings); http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rhino_(Warframe)

a good cosplay will be in layers, how you cut the parts is also important to get an overall great look

Maybe to start off get a  motorcycle underamor to add some bulkiness to yourself.

12555d1361892477-fellow-forum-member-goe

If you manage to get the rhino 3d model file from DE (I have trouble extracting it from game files) you can try pepakura for the solid parts. This is a process used by most Master Chiefs and alike cosplayers usualy for helmets, but also for body armo and it's pretty straight forward process and gives accurate results with some patience and knowhow.

Where you basicly print parts of armor on paper, cut them out, fold them and glue them together to make a rough 3d armor parts, some hardering chemicals (resin) to make it solid and some bondo to make it smooth. Google "pepakura armor" for more info.

Or you use Eva Foam mats for body armor. It's easy to cut, you shape it with heat gun ("fan") and it's pretty cheap if you live in a country where they sell it. And it should work well rhino armor parts

for a quick view

I'm always open for questions.

Edited by Garth_Tremor

This is awesome! I don't have any cosplay experience myself either unfortunately.

I would imagine Rhino is really hard to make since his body shape is so weird. I'm wondering if I might be easier to make a different Warframe first, say Excalibur, just to warm up and get a feel for making something look like a warframe in the first place?

Best of luck!

Edited by McCrabby

This seems like a really cool idea, i was just thinking about doing a frost prime cosplay the other day. I'm also inexperienced with cosplaying so hopefully we can each pass along ideas to each other

Actually, while thinking about what frames I could create, I ran into this:

http://www.sciencebobstore.com/products/Wizard-Stick-Smoke-Generator.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&adtype=pla&gclid=CNeJwPG66bcCFY0WMgodkH8AeA#productReviews

If you're tech savvy with the rewiring and remodeling, I could definitely see this used as shoulder parts for the Frost's smokey effect.

well I could help you with some stuff depends how much money you've got for cosplay, and which materials you're allergic to, and how long do you wish to wear it? (up to 6h, the whole day etc)

edit: ah about the money: I'm not asking you to pay me, but I can't provide you good datasheets for cosplay if you're not willing to spend some money in the costume

Bruddah, as far as wearing it goes, I don't really mind how heavy it would be. That being said, I would like to make it a 50/50 split between function and form. I basically just want it to be solid enough to stand some roughing up, if I move around or bump into people or fall, I'd like it to not break. If it uses toughened plastic or sheet metal, I could care less. 

I'm not allergic to anything on this earth (that I know of, so I'd say anything goes), and as far as money goes, I don't really have a feasible limit, because I don't know exactly what I need, or what materials you're thinking of.

If anything, link me to some sites that sell materials or something and I can browse around.

Check out Youtube and look for instructional vids with people doing this stuff for cheap.

I definitely will look into details on how to make guns. I was thinking about making a Hek, because what's more intimidating than a Rhino? A Rhino with the strongest goddamn shotgun in the game, that's what.

As for the foam armor, I'm looking for some material that would be a bit more hardy / resistant to damage. I'm not going to go MMA fighting, but I'm very concerned about the integrity of the suit.

I've seen a Rhino Cosplay once.

Da bes.

Get in game using Rhino, find a well lit area and press F6 for screen captures. (side, front, back, angles.) Take screen captures from capture folder, out in photoshop and crop the Rhino. Print those, skip sketches. Mess around with filters to possible create an outline of armor pieces (or scrub with brush, if you are seeking a black and white outline image or something). Take photo of self, crop, and scale to armor. Do side by side prints; overlays (faded layer of Rhino over self); side, front, back, angles.

good luck

Merely suggestions for image acquisition.....

materials, parts, and assembly are up to u. good luck

That's what I started doing, a hundred screen caps of different angles and analyzing every single feature of the frame, and then sketching out a few rough drafts.

pls never use paper, pro cosplay work with foam mats

I'd use it, then immediately set myself on fire.

Make sure you include the "Horn" inbetween his legs for emphasis.

Truly it is a work of art.

This is awesome! I don't have any cosplay experience myself either unfortunately.

I would imagine Rhino is really hard to make since his body shape is so weird. I'm wondering if I might be easier to make a different Warframe first, say Excalibur, just to warm up and get a feel for making something look like a warframe in the first place?

Best of luck!

Definitely a little more skill involved in making Rhino over Excalibur, but I decided once and for all that I would build Rhino. He's got a lot more meat on him and the size is kind of wonky, but hell, I'm gonna go for it.

Thanks for all the feedback, wasn't expecting a turnout so soon. 

Still just getting some rough sketches together. I'm mostly just focusing on the helmet right now.

(Also I forgot to mention I was going to build the Thrakk helmet.)

Check out this video.  I imagine crafting a guyver suit is much the same as crafting a warframe.  Creating a really high quality cosplay, especially of a full body exo-suit, may take more work than you think.  It may be beneficial for you to make friends with some talented costume makers to help you with your project.

If weight isn't an issue and you want this to be really tough, go metal.  Most hardware stores will have raw sheet metal, both aluminum and steel- look at cold forming techniques and tools, such as the sorts of things that they use to make fancy motorcycle parts.

Get a beginner's Resin Casting kit and experiment a little- different two-part epoxy resins have different properties, and the process can be used to make incredibly detailed, yet still flexible and tough parts.  Probably best for some of the mid-layer stuff.

For directly next to your skin, definitely go with foams and foam rubbers.  Again, casting is your friend here- if you can get a plaster cast of your various body parts (head, arms, legs) you'll be able to make a perfectly form-fitting suit that'll be less likely to separate or flop.  For temperature- you should be able to get a small fan inside the helmet, and a lot of the bulkyer parts could also hide fans, open air channels, or even water-cooling tubes (look into computer water-cooling, perhaps?  Or you could maybe rig something up with aquarium plumbing bits.)

But yeah- I think for the outermost armour plating, doing some sheet work with thin aluminum sheeting would be best- lightweight, easily formed, but still hard and it'll scratch realistically and survive pretty hefty roughousing.

Check out this video.  I imagine crafting a guyver suit is much the same as crafting a warframe.  Creating a really high quality cosplay, especially of a full body exo-suit, may take more work than you think.  It may be beneficial for you to make friends with some talented costume makers to help you with your project.

Wow that might be beneficial for anyone who wants to make a suit. I might now XD Excalibur!

http://www.bioweapons.com/HOW_TO.htm

I linked his website on how to start planning and making a suit of your own.  Although incomplete it still is a great way to start it now and once you get the feel of it you'll prob just do touch and go after that.

I found out that one of the conventions I would go to with this suit discourages people from using metallic substances as part of their costumes for fear of poking someone's eye out. 

So, I might have to settle for a substitute for that. I might just say screw it, because the whole suit is going to be solid,  and it's not like Rhino has a lot of pointy parts on his frame; just the codpiece and the helmet, really. 

BTW im looking forward to a day when i can see DErebecca cosplay as Lotus in skimpy costume.

Also, shameless bump.

yep check out coplay forums for guides and such example pink foam tutorial http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=95725

I would start small first. example try making the Rhino forearm guard first. It's one of the lesser detailed pieces but would help figuring out scaling and the like.

Also on scaling, I'm a big fan of using grid lines on pictures to figure out a scale conversion. example, forearm plate is "2 grid square long and my forearm is 10 inches long, i know my conversion is going to be 1 grid unit = 5 inches. just watch out for how angles and figure posture may distort full body measurements.

So, I might have to settle for a substitute for that. I might just say screw it, because the whole suit is going to be solid,  and it's not like Rhino has a lot of pointy parts on his frame; just the codpiece and the helmet, really. 

Yeah, wouldn't want to prod someone with that girth.

I am a professional cosplay model. As in I get paid to do this stuff haha. I make all my costumes/outfits and weapons/props so I can tell you right now, it is going to be a very long process and very expensive too. That is if you want it to look good and be able to move pretty well. Your best bet would be to try and get someone to sponsor you doing this such as DE if you could and or even get those same people to help you make it as well. I can help start you out if you need help and what not. Though also know this, if you are to ever go to a convention looking as badass as this you should really look up how to "act" as a cosplayer. That is because you are going to be asked for thousands of photos each day and in many different poses some of which will make no sense to you at all. 

Edited by Fireblac