Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ether Daggers Vs. Fang - Aren't They The Same?

AlchemistMute

Question

So using the unreliable wiki, I've found that Ether Daggers are literally 30 damage Fangs. Almost the same speed, same method of attack (barrage of slashes), the charge damage of Fang is AP, but no one uses Fang for charge damage. Same critical chance and damage.

So if they're the same, why does everyone use Fang and no one use Ether Daggers? Enlighten me.

4 answers to this question

If memory serves, Ether Daggers do slashing damage, whereas Fangs do... stabbing damage/anti-armor damage, I guess. The practical upshot of this is that Ether Daggers are FAR more effective against Infested enemies compared to the Fangs; conversely, the Fangs are far more effective against the Grineer.

Bear in mind, I could be wrong about this, as I haven't used either weapon in quite a while, favoring a Ranged-Weapon approach.

Edited by Fraggoth

If memory serves, Ether Daggers do slashing damage, whereas Fangs do... stabbing damage/anti-armor damage, I guess. The practical upshot of this is that Ether Daggers are FAR more effective against Infested enemies compared to the Fangs; conversely, the Fangs are far more effective against the Grineer.

Bear in mind, I could be wrong about this, as I haven't used either weapon in quite a while, favoring a Ranged-Weapon approach.

Ah, missed that. Fang is AP and Ether Daggers are slashing, so it's Fang for Grineer/Ancients and Ether Daggers for light Infested.

Thank you.

Actually, due to the higher base dps, the Ether daggers do almost as much damage than the Fang - even to Grineer, and stagger with every hit. They are a significant dps loss from the fang prime tho.

Fang; 15 damage x 3 swings/attack * 1.5 attacks/second = 67.5 dps * 1.5 ap modifier = 101.25 dps

ED: 30 damage * 3 swings/attack *0.83 attacks/second = 74.7 dps * 0.2 armor modifier = 15 dps

Take that base DPS, modify by 120% PP, 30% bane, and 60% Fury = 308.9 dps Fang, 341.8 dps Ether Daggers

Add in 150% ap, 90% fire, 90% cold, and 40% elec and you get:

Fang                                 Ether Daggers

308.9 Base (AP)               341.8 Base (slashing)

463.3 AP                           512.7 AP

278 Cold                           307.6 Fire

278 Fire                            307.6 Cold

123.5 Elec                        136.7 Elec

1451.7 Total DPS              1469.7

Apply lvl 30 grineer resistances

Fang                                Ether Daggers

463.4 Base AP                69.4 Slashing DPS

695 AP DPS                    769.1 AP DPS

~69.5 Cold DPS              76.9 Cold DPS

~125 Fire DPS                138.4 Fire DPS

~55.6 Elec DPS               61.6 Elec DPS

1408.5 total DPS             1115.4 DPS

So the Ether daggers do roughly 80% of the damage that Fang does. But Imo the slightly longer reach, the ability to bring them to other factions and outpreform, and the stagger on every hit (very important against heavies) more than makes up for that 20% dps loss.

Fang Prime is ~ 20-25% dps above the Fang, so its too much of a dps loss to justify for the stagger from the ethers, imo.

Actually, due to the higher base dps, the Ether daggers do almost as much damage than the Fang - even to Grineer, and stagger with every hit. They are a significant dps loss from the fang prime tho.

Fang; 15 damage x 3 swings/attack * 1.5 attacks/second = 67.5 dps * 1.5 ap modifier = 101.25 dps

ED: 30 damage * 3 swings/attack *0.83 attacks/second = 74.7 dps * 0.2 armor modifier = 15 dps

Take that base DPS, modify by 120% PP, 30% bane, and 60% Fury = 308.9 dps Fang, 341.8 dps Ether Daggers

Add in 150% ap, 90% fire, 90% cold, and 40% elec and you get:

Fang                                 Ether Daggers

308.9 Base (AP)               341.8 Base (slashing)

463.3 AP                           512.7 AP

278 Cold                           307.6 Fire

278 Fire                            307.6 Cold

123.5 Elec                        136.7 Elec

1451.7 Total DPS              1469.7

Apply lvl 30 grineer resistances

Fang                                Ether Daggers

463.4 Base AP                69.4 Slashing DPS

695 AP DPS                    769.1 AP DPS

~69.5 Cold DPS              76.9 Cold DPS

~125 Fire DPS                138.4 Fire DPS

~55.6 Elec DPS               61.6 Elec DPS

1408.5 total DPS             1115.4 DPS

So the Ether daggers do roughly 80% of the damage that Fang does. But Imo the slightly longer reach, the ability to bring them to other factions and outpreform, and the stagger on every hit (very important against heavies) more than makes up for that 20% dps loss.

Fang Prime is ~ 20-25% dps above the Fang, so its too much of a dps loss to justify for the stagger from the ethers, imo.

That's why I love my Ether Daggers.