Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Fix Coptering And Butt-Sliding Without Removing Them From The Game

Aure7

First of all I want to say that I really hate all of this "zorencoptering" business as well as this slipping around you can see on veteran players. Every time you slide, you gain some momentum at the press of the crouch button. This helps to slide further and enchant the gameplay but it all became abused because everyone is repeatedly tapping the crouch button to gain free momentum which comes out of nowhere. this (and melee sliding) looks incredibly silly. It become a reflex, even rebecca on primetime does this and we all don't even notice it. I don't think this is a good habit for warframe players.

NOW ON THE POINT:
Sprinting should gradually become faster for several seconds after starting to sprint, with that bonus speed resetting once you stop (or slide, slide with melee), but leaving your regular sprint speed unchanged.
I don't know the numbers but for start let's say after 3 seconds of sprinting you would reach maximum speed which is 105% of your regular sprint speed (mods included)

this would encourage players to sprint rather than slip everywhere, because it would be the fastest way to get from point A to point B (not in combat). AND This shouldn't leave any players angry because:
- zorencoptering (even though I hate it) would remain.
- sliding to boost yourself forward would remain and be used in combat.
- sliding and doing melee spin attack to boost yourself would remain and be used in combat.
- your starting sprint speed would be equal to the current values, all you will be getting is BONUS SPEED (very little). So combat would feel same.

This idea is the newest addition to the glorious thread called "the grand thread for parkour improvements"
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119650-is-this-a-true-ninja-game-after-all-the-grand-thread-for-parkour-improvements-and-fixes/ but I feel like this should be up in the game as soon as possible.

Can't we all just have good things?

Edited by Aure7

Good idea.

You saw something you disliked, and you didn't complain about it.

You thought up a solution which will lessen it's effect while not actually changing the problem at all.

Straight to the source, not the symptoms.

I support this suggestion, if it is possible to code with the existing sprinting mechanics.

Perhaps even a new version of the "Rush" mod? +x% sprint speed per second sprinting, with the speed being higher than default rush at max level.

I like everything there except the part about the bonus resetting when sliding or jumping. That's a bit arbitrary and makes the sprint just a "go faster" button with less use in combat. I think frames with extreme speeds should move a bit like cars: They gain momentum with high speed and have to make more careful turns so you don't lose control. This feature could set up for melee abilities that only work when you get enough forward momentum.

Edited by sewens

First of all I want to say that I really hate all of this "zorencoptering" business as well as this slipping around you can see on veteran players. Sliding gives a boost in momentum but it can be abused which creates slipping ninjas everywhere. I don't know about you but I am really disgusted to see everyone slipping and melee sliding on every single mission and on every single corridor. It becomes a reflex, even rebecca on primetime does this and we all don't even notice it.

NOT ON THE POINT:

Sprinting should gradually become faster for several seconds after starting to sprint, with that the bonus speed resetting once you stop (or slide, slide with melee), but leaving your regular sprint speed unchanged.

I don't know the numbers but for start let's say after 3 seconds of sprinting you would reach maximum speed which is 105% of your regular sprint speed (mods included)

this would encourage players to sprint rather than slip everywhere, because it would be the fastest way to get from point A to point B (not in combat). AND This shouldn't leave any players angry because:

- zorencoptering (even though I hate it) would remain.

- sliding to boost yourself forward would remain and be used in combat.

- sliding and doing melee spin attack to boost yourself would remain and be used in combat.

- your starting sprint speed would be equal to the current values, all you will be getting is BONUS SPEED (very little). So combat would feel same.

This idea is the newest addition to the glorious thread called "the grand thread for parkour improvements"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119650-is-this-a-true-ninja-game-after-all-the-grand-thread-for-parkour-improvements-and-fixes/ but I feel like this should be up in the game as soon as possible.

Can't we all just have good things? 

I notice it just fine, it's one of the reason i don't bother watching their video stuff anymore, because their marketing doesn't match the actuality of the game's design.

I like everything there except the part about the bonus resetting when sliding or jumping. That's a bit arbitrary and makes the sprint just a "go faster" button with less use in combat. I think frames with extreme speeds should move a bit like cars: They gain momentum with high speed and have to make more careful turns so you don't lose control. This feature could set up for melee abilities that only work when you get enough forward momentum.

it makes perfect sense for it to reset on slide because of the friction. In the end it wouldn't even be different than now, because the boost from slide you get would be somewhat similar to the increased sprint speed.

The very point of this suggestion is to offer an alternative to constant slipping everywhere, and without speed resetting when sliding it wouldn't work.

it makes perfect sense for it to reset on slide because of the friction. In the end it wouldn't even be different than now, because the boost from slide you get would be somewhat similar to the increased sprint speed.

The very point of this suggestion is to offer an alternative to constant slipping everywhere, and without speed resetting when sliding it wouldn't work.

I think I know what you mean now. What I'm saying is the speed from the sprint bonus should carry over into the slide. You would lose speed due to friction but you would slide further than without the speed bonus from constant running.

I think I know what you mean now. What I'm saying is the speed from the sprint bonus should carry over into the slide. You would lose speed due to friction but you would slide further than without the speed bonus from constant running.

well we already receive magical momentum out of nowhere when we slide, and you want even more of it? :D

wat

Every time you slide, you gain some momentum at the press of the crouch button. This helps to slide further and enchant the gameplay but it all became abused since everyone is repeatedly tapping the crouch button to gain free momentum which comes out of nowhere. And this looks incredibly silly.

I agree that things have gotten out of hand, to the point that it feels like every stage is a giant Slip n Slide. I do feel that the increases in sprint speed should proc a bit earlier than what you put in your initial posts though, as after three solid seconds of sprinting most early frames will start to run short on stamina.

Don't forget that part of the reason why people slide everywhere is because it does not cost any stamina to do so. Combined with the speed burst it became the most efficient way to travel.

Every time you slide, you gain some momentum at the press of the crouch button. This helps to slide further and enchant the gameplay but it all became abused since everyone is repeatedly tapping the crouch button to gain free momentum which comes out of nowhere. And this looks incredibly silly.

Well I'm not talking about magical maglev momentum. Im saying slides should keep the momentum of your sprint speed bonus and not add to it. A frame sprinting without the bonus and equipped with a maglev should slide the same speed as one that has the bonus but no maglev.

Not saying I like the maglev mod or anything, just using it as a comparison to what you thought i was talking about.

I like the OP's idea. In general, warframes feel really slow without max rush mods, and run out of stamina far too quickly considering they're ninjas and all.

I suppose they might be concerned that newer players would have a hard time keeping up or something? I figure they're already having that problem when most pick-up groups seem to all be running max rush anyways.

Simply, the current stamina system when applied to movement is annoying. Movement in a game like this should be more fluid than it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Olympic athletes should check out Warframe... Sliding every 10 feet could mean new world records for 100m sprints!

I agree with the OP. Sliding and Zoren coptering are silly means of increasing speed, while paradoxically using less stamina. I'd even be on board with getting rid of stamina for sprinting, just use it as a measure of how long you can defy gravity on a wall. Sprinting lets you get places increasing your time doing fun stuff like murder and looting, and wasting less of your time traversing empty tiles, and I don't see how infinite sprint breaks anything in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

This wouldn't work.

The way the Stamina system works makes just sprinting useless, and your changes would have no effect. You need to address the issue with Stamina, sprinting and sliding before slip & slide levels go anywhere. If you don't know what that issue is, try just sprinting and then try sprinting and sliding, and see what happens to your Stamina bar.

I personally kinda like slip & slide gameplay, I just wish it wasn't practically mandatory.

I personally kinda like slip & slide gameplay, I just wish it wasn't practically mandatory.

I do slide a lot too. Hundreds of time during a mission, but you've got my point exactly, I just wish it wasn't so mandatory.