Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Are Venom(Saryn Rework Rant/suggestion)

Raileks

I just joined about 2-3 weeks ago so I probably have no clue what im talking about.  When I read up on Saryn, I instantly wanted the tanky poison factory but so far have been dissappointed.

1: Venom - Should swap names with ability 3 Contagion since its actually contagious.  I'd prefer if it were a skill shot with at least twice the distance, and the spores, after being on the target for say 2-3 seconds, would explode like proximity mines whenever other enemies were in effective range for it to spread(but can still be triggered early by shooting them).  This way you can fire it at a crowd and it'll go to work on those guys while you do something more important.  As it is now, by the time I get into range to use Venom I couldve shot the bloody thing dead and often my sentinel does shoot it dead.  IF I manage to Venom a target and it hasnt suffered a sudden lack of hp from ksing sentinel by the time i hit a spore theres no enemies left alive in range to spread it too.  I think maybe twice have I hit that magic set of circumstances where I actually got the spores to spread to enemies.  at which point i just ended up gunning them down anyway.  All in all its just a headache where this thing thats supposed to be a crowd killer is just a why did I waste time and energy using that?  As a result I rarely use Venom except to make mission achievements(use first ability 4 times) which is sad since its one of the more creative abilities in the game.

2. Molt - I like this. Use it alot.  Takes the heat off.... I guess if I ever pvp it'd still be useful as a shield?

3. Contagion - Should definatley swap names with ability 1 Venom.  Melee attacks inflicting poison are much more akin to a venomous animal injecting its toxins.  I have found this ability to be lackluster.  Firstly, its activation steals valuable time.  Melee buffs should be really quick or no interruption at all.  Secondly its difficult to tell if its actually doing anything.  Supposedly adding poison elemental damage to your attacks but still seems to take the same amount of swings to kill anything.  My thought is, buff this ability with an additional effect to increase her tankiness.  Healing off poison damage she does while this ability is active would synergize with her armor and increase her survivability in the close range hot zone, the more enemies(up to 5 I suppose) shes fighting against the better.

4: Miasma - Is this the same nuke that seems to be on half the warframes in the game with a different elemental type?  Tanky poison factory should not be a nuker, and sadly besides molt I end up using this ability alot, because if not thematic its at least useful. Sometimes you just need your space and enemies dont know when to take a hint.  What do you do?  EXPLOSION!  Personally I would prefer it if Miasma were a toggle ability that spawned a poisonous cloud where you went(maybe with an 8 meter range all around) and lingered after you left for about 5 seconds.  Instead of an upfront energy cost it would be a continuous energy drain that started light but escalated quickly the longer you left it on.  The cloud would do corrosive damage while enemies were in it and apply a toxic dot lingered for 3 seconds, the duration refreshing every tick they were still in the cloud.

Currently I dont even feel like Im playing the role intended for Saryn.  Do I need a break? Molt.  Are there alot of enemies around? Miasma  Any other situation? Shoot it.  Course the only other warframe Ive used is excalibur and I only relied on two of his abilities too, but those two(blade slash, super jump) were an epic rush and felt so much like "this is how I do."  There was also a lot more variety to how you could use them.

Imagine instead hitting one crowd with spores, then leaping into the next, unleashing a cloud and recklessly going to town with your blades, healing off the glorious toxic carnage.  Or running from pursuers, tricking them into a trail of toxic fumes while spores devour their flesh.

Edited by Raileks

I like this! Small changes that would make her so much more fun to play. Imagine running away from a horde of enemies, leaving a trail of poisonous cloud and in it you also leave your skin behind with Molt (love how Molt works now by the way, been using it a lot more). That would mean the poisonous cloud should also cause some kind of confusion so enemies wander around in the cloud only to make them think they see Saryn when it's actually the molt. They shoot it, it explodes, they die. Killing by deceiving. Lovely!

Also, another thing I want to point out to DE is the idea of making abilities different in that way. Not all of them have to be extremely useful on their own. There should be synergy in each warframe's abilities set. You already did it with Ember, Accelerant being so much cooler than I thought at first.

Anyway, by playing SMITE again recently, I've come to the conclusion that while Warframe is aiming to be a different game entirely, the way characters work is very similar to SMITE, but not on the same level when it comes to them being extremely fun to play and just being interesting. In that game each character has a passive and a lot of them have it in such a way that it has some kind of synergy with the 4 active skills. In many cases, those 4 actives have synergies between them. Let's take Zeus for example. With each zap he gets on his enemies he puts a charge on them His first ability does a chain-lighting on the enemies. His second ability applies a shield with movement speed on Zeus that puts a charge on the enemy if that enemy attacks him. His forth ability is a big thunderstorm that does quite some damage to the enemies and also applies charges if they are caught in it. Now here's the fun part, his third ability allows him to detonate those charges, dealing huge damage to the enemies that have charges on them (obviously), further putting charges on enemies near those with charges and stunning those that have at least 3 charges for about a second.

Balancing wise Warframe should be different, of course, because mainly a PVE game, completely different than SMITE which is a PVP game. I'd like to see Warframe move in that direction when it comes to abiltiies and all that, even if just a little.

venom is ok. it doesnt have much impact but it costs 25 energy only. molt and miasma is excellent, need no change. contagion is bad cos saryn has no other skills to support melee play. but as melee 2.0 is coming, let's see what will happen. i dont think much will change though.

Edited by Eric1738

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. saryn needs just one buff. and its that statuses proc 100% (or at least 80) on her venom and miasma. Every other elemental frame at this point has a 100 percent proc chance on their first skills and even other moves beyond those... except saryn. Give her 100 percent viral on her venom DE. Do it. It wouldnt break her, it would make her a tank killer, and she'd still be balanced since she has no cc outside of an uber. She could fill a role that there is pretty much only banshee for right now... and banshee has cc.

It would reward a high risk, high reward playstyle. She cant exactly lock down her opponents, seeing as she has no cc,but she could eliminate their defenses and make them easier for her to kill by spreading her venom. Volt gets shock to cc entire rooms. Ember causes panic and burst in an aoe. Frost gets a guaranteed freeze... make it fair for saryn and give her her rightful status proc.

venom is ok. it doesnt have much impact but it costs 25 energy only. molt and miasma is excellent, need no change. contagion is bad cos saryn has no other skills to support melee play. but as melee 2.0 is coming, let's see what will happen. i dont think much will change though.

its not just about it being good.  Its about it being original.  Miasma is the same aoe all around me ability that half the warframes do.  Im seriously considering dropping what i thought was going to be my favorite champ because I can do the same thing but better with a another one

Why does no one take into acount 1st moves are spamming moves for example venom does dot dmg low amount but stackable and with a duration increase it lasts a while i spammed venom on viral weak bosses just watch the numbers lol u cant read them they move so fast and if im right in under standing viral ignores shields and miasma is perfect as is atm what u missed is that it does corrosive dmg only and alway procures it lowering 75%armour on affected enermies, also venom is 100% procure but the splash spread is not and cotagion effecting primary and seconary is OP they have multi mods melee doesnt and if u read between the line u see she is a balance frame her moves are faction based except molt, contagion for infested,toxin  for corpus non-robotics which are hardest corpus units to kill and miasma for grineer. 

Why does no one take into acount 1st moves are spamming moves for example venom does dot dmg low amount but stackable and with a duration increase it lasts a while i spammed venom on viral weak bosses just watch the numbers lol u cant read them they move so fast and if im right in under standing viral ignores shields and miasma is perfect as is atm what u missed is that it does corrosive dmg only and alway procures it lowering 75%armour on affected enermies, also venom is 100% procure but the splash spread is not and cotagion effecting primary and seconary is OP they have multi mods melee doesnt and if u read between the line u see she is a balance frame her moves are faction based except molt, contagion for infested,toxin  for corpus non-robotics which are hardest corpus units to kill and miasma for grineer. 

Ill admit I have a growing respect for Venom as im starting to do missions where theres multiple heavies coming at you in waves and nothing dies very quickly.but even in those situations where multiple enemies arent evaporating before you can use venom, I wonder if venom is the most efficient thing you could be doing with the time it takes to cast and shoot the things.   Still really like the mechanic though even if I think its impractical.  I saw another Saryn thread where they suggested the venom pustules could pop on death or be triggered by other abilities.  In fact if you auto triggered all pustules on an enemy with a contagion powered melee attack, that alone would be awesome.  Theres a number of things to be done to improve the practicality of the move without affecting its base power.

Dont have a problem with the types of damage she can do.  I think thats great. My only problem is delivery and efficiency.  Contagion's activation time is so long and its effect so underwhelming that in the time it took to activate you could probably attack fast enough to deal more damage than contagions buff would give you.  Miasma is a great ability, but its the same great all around me explode on lots of warframes.  Does it really fit the theme of the close range bruiser/tank Saryn is?  Does it give the warframe her own unique feel?

I agree with the name changing and the change to Venom, but I swear Venom just naturally spreads as it does damage...hrmn...And to be honest I wish Contagion worked on all your weapons not just melee, if it is going to be melee only it needs a little bit more added too it.

I do agree with Miasma, it should be a constant output of Miasma rather than a instant "NUKE!" power. I'm honestly becoming a little tired of nukers...From what I remember Saryn's powers were supposed to be a DPS thing. Venom would tick over time to kill, same with Miasma, the longer duration they have the more damage they output.

Saryn DOES need a good looking at, but so do a bunch of other warframes. She is sill effective in combat with all of her abilities, it's just some of them seem to work best on higher level enemies which is...I donno...odd? Good? I'd rather they be OP to low level and good against high level, but it's weird that her power 1 does so much damage to low level guys that they die before it can even spread.