Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Mining Chasm [Planet-Side Map Concept With Pictures]

Notso

Now that Corpus have two map tilesets in the "Corpus style", I was brainstorming ideas for a new tileset for the Grineer. Originally I thought "let's give them their own spaceship tileset", but that's not very inventive. So why not give the Grineer their very own planet-side tileset?

tLXJPH8.jpg

[ignore the equation in the top right, I sketched this during some boring maths homework]

It's basically a huge, deep crater, which has been turned by the Grineer in their thirst for resources into a mining quarry, with buildings all around the top and on the walls of the quarry. It could also re-use some of the asteroid tileset layouts for indoor sections, just with some slight alterations to make it look more like it's on a planet than an asteroid [perhaps a recolouring to make it grey-ish?].

The main outdoor section would create some neet obstacle courses out of things like containers full of resources hanging from cranes, which could be made even more difficult by having them moving as we try and run across them [the engine can clearly support moving, "solid" objects, as seen by the enemies we pin to doors with the Paris].

What do you think?

I will add some more drawings when I get round to it

Okay, got some more "concept-y" concept art for it. I had no idea what a Grineerian building might look like, so I kind of made it up. I went for quite rounded shapes, after thinking about the Grineer archetecture there currently is in the game [their armour, the doors in the asteroid tileset, the lockers in the asteroid tileset].

You'd be amazed how flipping hard it is to draw rocks that look like rocks lol

kpT07Nz.jpg

Extremely Yes!

It works well with the Tile-Concept and Random Map Generation

It's imposing, athmospheric and has an open sky

It incorporates parkouring and vertical movement

It could even tie in with the Grineer Asteroid Base Tileset!

In my book, this is a definite win!

I hope this tileset gets recognized by the developers. :)

Edited by Sherbniz

I wanted to add walkways in, but I felt the picture would have just got too busy, plus I wasn't really sure how to put them in with the correct distance scaling [making them smaller as they get further away] without making them look funny. You can see in the first rough sketch I did I have a walkway crossing the chasm.

Edited by Notso

Well, if only I was paid by DE to design tilesets, I could "push this through" as you say. As all I am is a physics student about to go study science at UCL, all I can do is provide DE with ideas I come up with. C:

• 1 month later...