Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dojo Planner (Gimp + Photoshop + Raw Images)

Khunvyel

Question

I've shared this with a few people already, and since they've been grateful for it, ... why not trying to see if anyone else finds it useful? So I slapped a few files together and uploaded them for you.

Since I wanted to plan ahead for my very own Dojo, I've screened all available Dojo rooms once I got to the point of building through all the halls. Then I slapped the cut-out images on a fitting grid and drew abstracts on top of them. Then colour coding and sorting everything into neat folders allowed me to happily drag around layers which always snapped neatly in place.

What I noticed when drawing out the abstracts, is that the rooms work on a rough 8x8 pixel grid base when it came to collision alerts as I learned by placing certain rooms in a way that they would intersect if they always would occupy the same base space. So I always filled the related room tile to the next grid section to make sure it would never collide with anything else ever. There are a few exceptions to this, where it really doesn't matter, like the Grand Hall, which has a few "unfitting" cutouts, simply to make a compromise in favour for the visual distinction between Grand and Grandest Hall.

I kept the original images in case you want to have a more "natural" approach to your layout, but they're inconsistent in appearance, and I didn't bother much with revisiting their looks.

For those who don't want to bother with gimp, there are plain versions of all tiles included packed onto one image, to import to the program of your preference.

Happy layering!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3mxavjydzimc5c/Khunvyels_Dojo_Planner.zip?dl=1

Content of the file:

• Photoshop Dojo.psd    (high program version compatibility)
  • Gimp Dojo.xcf     ( No idea how compatible it is with older versions than 2.8, I just downloaded and converted it for you peeps )
  • Abstract light.jpeg    (single image of all room abstracts on light background )

• Abstract med.jpeg    (single image of all room abstracts on medium grey background )

• Originals light.jpeg    (single image of all original rooms on light background )

• Originals med.jpeg    (single image of all original rooms on medium grey background )

Jpegs are highest quality, no graphic artefacts. Just saying, because jpegs seem to always get bad rep *cough*

Edited by Khunvyel

2 answers to this question

Jpegs are highest quality, no graphic artefacts. Just saying, because jpegs seem to always get bad rep *cough*

There are always artifacts when it comes to JPEG, it is just a question of whether the human eye can see them. They still mess up object isolation.

As for the resources, I will have to check these out...

Edit: ARTIFACTS:

3by.png

I had to do some pretty serious contrast and brightness modification to make them visible, because max quality jpeg is actually quite good, I just can't resist giving you a hard time since you made that statement.

As for the pieces, they look useful. My sister and I did something similar a while back, but never got around to doing all the rooms.

Edited by egregiousRac

I just can't resist giving you a hard time since you made that statement.

Haha XD I think I should have been more clear. I haven't seen anyone yet who could distinguish a quality 12 jpeg of Photoshop from a max quality png or bitmap with just the naked eye even on a screen optimized for graphic art. And for the most purposes, this will do the trick. I mainly made the statement because many jpegs saved indeed have like... noticeable quality loss.

Of course I just could have used static gifs to conserve disk space, but I don't like how it occasionally shifts the colour slightly as opposed to use exactly what should have been taken, selective picker or not.

I didn't test the gifs out actually, it was just an experience thing so I didn't bother, and the total files are small enough to not make that much of a difference anyhow. I might or might not look at that, but right now I don't see any reason to put more work into this until new Dojo tiles come out.

Edited by Khunvyel