Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Origin Of It All

Lightsmith

I'm not a writer so I'll do my best about the lore and how I envision it.

Before more people bring it up, this is under the assumption that Dark Sector and Warframe are NOT connected. No official statements have been said eitherway so I choose that they aren't connected.

First, some detail on the players.
The Actors:

Tenno

Tenno are formerly human and were "twisted by the void"
One unknown is if the Warframes we use are suits how can our Tenno be both male and female in frames.
In my idea they return looking like fresh burn victims crossed with RoboCop under his armor. Limbs missing, features burned away. The missing limbs are replaced with ephemeral limbs when there is no armor. This allows Tenno to wear both male and female shaped armor.

Orokin

Originally human, culture seperated those with wealth, power and means from those who didn't. Those in power grouped together and found means to extend their life through technology. Orokin emerged being as beings purely digital who operate machine bodies. Each Orokin person was originally human.

Sentients

Many feel the Sentients are some Robotic race or some other alien. To me they are an extra dimensional race. Not used to our realm their forms are seemingly fluid as they stand like man they lack physical features like man and their surface is a changing tapestry of colors and images. Referred to as Sentients because it is like matter and energy itself has come alive.

-Based on the new release from DE, it may be that the actual existence of the Sentients is the light in the heart of the enemy units, and the rest are just the tools they use to better interact with our universe.

The Grineer - we know how they look

The Corpus - we know how they look

Vorokin - lol, these are his Warframish army he creates in the void. Not sure of the same though.

Pre Warframe Era

Origin of the Tenno

Having mastered their solar system the Orokin looked for ways to move beyond it. How to travel the vastness of space in reasonable time. Technology was found to tear holes to another realm and use that as shortcuts, this realm was the Void. After initial tests were successful the Orokin sent their first expedition.

A fleet of humans to be the first colonists outside the solar system. Shortly after the fleet suddenly appeared from void space, adrift.

The recovery team brought the ships back and when the boarded they found the crew and colonists "twisted," faces unrecognizable, uncompleted bodies. To the rescue party's surprise the crew could recognize them, even without eyes. They spoke but there was no mouth to move. (Note: they had some sort of nose or breathing orifice)

Some of these "people" were moving, even when they didn't have the limbs to allow it, where limbs were an ephemeral light existed that somehow supported their body.

The crew were taken to an isolated station for fear of some disease. There they were studied to understand. This was a difficult time for the future Tenno, they had no memories of anything, their previous lives or what happened while in the void. Their would occasionally be fights between these beings, fights like none before fire, ice and light would be emited through sheer will.

This revelation worried the Orokin, the ability for a single being to possess such destructive power, some suggested destroying them all. While some wanted to find a way to help them recover or to better function others saw it as an opportunity to gain greater power.

Suits were made to help stabilize the Tenno powers (Note: these are the suits you see in the relay). Research continued on ways to focus the powers in a more combat focus.

All this time the Tenno were kept from the rest of the humans. They began to form their own society of a monastic nature. This training was brought about to help stabilize raging emotions that were a danger to all, even themselves. They began to call themselves Tenno.

Origin of The Infested

Using samples from the Tenno, even going so far as dissecting some Tenno in secret, the Orokin attempted to duplicate the results of the void on a more controlled scale. They created a genetic mutagen to turn regular humans into these soldiers.

Original results were promising and these became the guards of the Orokin. Easily controlled, no morality and no training needed.

*This keeps in line with J3 Golem saying "We are your flesh" players thing that means Tenno are infected by the virus in some way, but this has a nice twist being that the infested came after the Tenno, and in a twisted way are their children.

Arrival of the Sentients

The Orokin never gave up on the Void, the continued to work on technology that would allow passage into the void without suffering the same fate as the Tenno. They were able to establish outposts safe from the effects. From here much research was done to learn and gain strength from the Void Space.

Then the existence later named the Sentients came. Emerging from the Void without warning at the very heart of the Orokin empire. They demanded that all actions within the void be halted and the "theft" would stop. The Orokin, used to being the masters of all, were angered by the hubris of these beings. They refused and immediately started attacking, the defensive weapons inside and outside the ship had no effect, in fact soon after engaging the weapons would short our and malfunction.

The Orokin sent their soldiers (infested) to attack. This proved more successful and the Sentient ship was driven off. Within moments a massive fleet of objects appeared at the very edge of the system. The Sentients' full force.

Rise of The Infested

The Orokin worked to boost the number of their super soldiers, altering the gene mutation to work even faster. They sent these soldiers out to battle. Only a short while after this these new soldiers went mad, turning on their commanders and even the previous bio soldiers, but they did not die, they continued spreading.

This along destroyed more territory than the Sentients had so far.

Rise of The Tenno

With no options left the Orokin released the Tenno from their isolated area and ordered them to war. The leaders of the Tenno agreed andformed an army of the most elite warriors who requested the weapons and equipment to suit their needs. They were given armor that would focus their energies making them living weapons. Other Tenno were requisitioned by the Orokin to protect their bases within the heart of the system.

The Tenno pushed out through the solar system cleansing the infested along the way. Once reaching the Sentient fleet they began an all out offensive. There was a high cost on both sides but the Sentients were forced to withdraw into the void. The Orokin demanded the Tenno to perdue saying nothing is safe while the Sentients were still alive.

The Tenno were at a disadvantage fighting the Sentients in the void, and were losing. A new technology was given to them by the Orokin, this device would force all the surrounding area out of the void and into real space.

Since the Void functions differently than normal space once activated the force would appear in an unknown region of space far outside their home system. Once the battle is over the Tenno would deactivate the key and return to the void to regroup. This tactic, would prove the most useful in the war.

Fall of the Orokin

After many years the battle became routine to both sides. Both exhausted they met, without the knowledge of their Orokin commander. The Sentients explained why the war had started. The Orokin in their experiments in the Void were literally killing their species. Not born of matter like humans manipulating the natural energies of their realm is no different than dismembering a human.

The Tenno also learned the the Sentients had simply asked (ordered) the Orokin to stop and that it was the Orokin that started the war that has cost so many Tenno lives. The Sentient ended by saying that if the experiments on the void stop they will not disrupt the physical work any more. The Tenno stated they will do this.

Upon explaining the information to their command unit it refused to accept that and ordered the Tenno to continue the war. Tenno experts disabled the unit and adjusted it to think the Sentients had won, as well as altering its personality, and objectives to be more in line with Tenno beliefs. The Tenno joined with other fleets and, using their advanced (altered) AI take over those ships as well. These Tenno unite under the common goal of eliminating the Orokin and keeping balance in the solar system.

Upon returning to the Orokin home world the Orokin provided symbolic honors to the Tenno, as they had become symbols to the regular humans. Throughout the system the Tenno struck destroying the Orokin, this also resulting in much fighting with other Tenno who had stayed as Orokin guards. They were easily overcome by the Veteran Tenno.

Knowing what had been done the surviving Tenno placed themselves into cryo sleep. Part for penance for betraying their masters, and also knowing they were the first transgression into the Sentients ' realm, and the first to "steal" from them.

The AI would watch over the system while many of the Tenno slumbered. This AI was Lotus. Her symbol is the Tenno's symbol of freedom from their Orokin Masters.

Unifying with Dark Sector (my thoughts)

Many want some connection between Dark Sector and Warframe and although I haven't played it based on my reading I will attempt to create a bridge between my lore suggestions and Dark Sector.

I'm not particularly a fan of these

1. The Technocyte Virus decimated earth after Dark Sector. Similar to the Black Plague, some were immune / adapted to it and survived. The virus remained in the systems of all humans and these people formed the population going forward.

2. This massive destruction of society would be a good reason why such a large divide was created between the Orokin and others, allowing them to be a ruling class.

3. Entering the Void the virus had some reaction that turned the Tenno into what I've previously described.

4. The Orokin then using the genetic samples from the Tenno create a new strain of the virus, this then mutates and becomes different / stronger which is why current generations are no longer immune.

5. Orokin use Hayden Tenno's proto Warframe as their template when designing the suits for the Tenno. The reason is the suits reaction to the slightly altered physiology of the Tenno / Virus. (I really don't like this one)

Current Era

Corruption of Vor

Vor entered the void, protected by the Janus key, he passed unharmed and came to the Neural Sentry. He was brought to a very unique place amoung the Void Towers. This was the head research station where much of the experimentation into the void was done.

From this location he builds a new army in alliance with this unusual Neural Sentry named "Janus" he begins to create more advanced fighters from his followers that still remain. They become like him, infused with the void, a new age of Warframes built around Grineer. With these elite soldiers he starts to take back the system.

- a style I like for these types of Grineer / Tenno is Darkseal's design for Boon
IPItttq.jpg

Return of the Orokin

-not sure if this even matters, DE may already have a way to integrate this.

As a response to Vor's tinkering with the void, the Sentients return feeling the Tenno did not keep their promise and the Orokin were not destroyed / stopped from harvesting energies of the Void.

Edited by Lightsmith

some answers are mostly there ...  the tenno are technocyte infected ... the powers come from themsleves ... the suits are just armor (see dark sector) also metal skin like hayden tenno (the first)

we even get the proto suit which shows part of the tennos bare torso and arm !!

Edited by Severuslanskerr

some answers are mostly there ... the tenno are technocyte infected ... the powers come from themsleves ... the suits are just armor (see dark sector) also metal skin like hayden tenno (the first)

we even get the proto suit which shows part of the tennos bare torso and arm !!

Tenno are not infected by the virus. Official lore stated they returned from the void twisted. That is what I used for the basis of this.

Many people want to connect this directly with Dark Sector, I don't agree, many factors of this game's history don't appear in that.

If they are just suits, how do you explain me "Lightsmith" going from Rhino, using rhion powers to Ember, a totally different shape with totally different powers.

Here is an excerpt from the codex about the Orokin of Tenno

The Sentients had won. They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses. The war was over unless we found a new way. In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed.

We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our saviors. Warrior-Gods cast in steel and fury striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend.

Excalibur was the first.

Based on that I don't see how Dark Sector could connect.

And, No I never played dark Sector, but DE has stated they are in different universes, I've also heard that they back away from that hard line, but since it isn't official, I personally believe it isn't connected.

Edited by Lightsmith

You haven't integrated the Lotus anywhere. Allow me:

Origin of the Lotus:
The Sentients were being pushed back by the Tenno. Knowing these were formidable warriors that could possibly mean their imminent demise, they created this artificial intellligence.  An AI, even though it is not technological in nature. It had no name, it's only purpose was to find out the connection between the Orokin and the Tenno, and sever it. Turn the Tenno on their masters.

This being had the power to enter the Orokin's systems and cause havoc inside it. Numerous Orokin, both military and civilian, have died at it's hand. Draining oxygen from their ships and bases was really a quite effective method. But, this being wasn't the perfect killing machine. It needed to adapt to their systems and learn their weaknesses, and thus was capable of learning.

the Great Separation:
On its journeys, it had learnt and retained much memories and knowledge from the Orokin. It was having doubts. "Why was this killing neccesary?" and "Is this all there is?" Growing ever more weary of the mindless killing, it finally learnt a key thing about the Tenno and their masters:

You see, the Tenno were never free. They were under constant control of their masters. The Orokin implanted their ideals, and the Tenno simply did it.

The being had successfully remained hidden inside the Orokin Systems. When it had learnt that the Tenno had successfully exterminated the Sentient invasion force in the Origin System, it knew that what had been done, was right. "I cannot allow them to exterminate these creatures, my masters are not better then the masters of these 'Tenno'." It, after successfully gaining sentience, decided it was best to lay low for a while, and observe the Tenno's masters.

When the Tenno came back, they were presented as heroes, while they were basically slave-warriors. While the Orokin celebrated the end of the Old War, the Tenno remained as their guards. At that moment, the being realized that what it was about to do, was to restore balance to a system where oppression and poverty come in daily doses.

At that moment, it called herself 'Lotus', because: no matter how murky the pond is where you came from, she came out uncorrupted.
Having suddenly realized she is now self-aware, she erased the Orokin's lies from their minds, and after years of brainwashing, the Tenno were finally free.

Then, the Lotus spoke to the Tenno for the first time: "I am the Lotus. I will be your guide, not your master. What you do with your former masters will be your choice, because you are free from now on." The Tenno, blinded with rage after years of being brainwashed, brutally murdered the Orokin wherever they could find them. Once the Naga drums had sounded, the Lotus said: "You have steeled yourself, and did what had to be done. Now, rest, Tenno. 

• 3 weeks later...