Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Handheld Shields (Shield/block Mechanic 2.0?)

C4Chaos42

I would like to propose that shields be added to the game for defensive and offensive play. The shields will be used by tenno to block incoming fire at reduced cost to stamina, providing strategic cover for their own protection as well as others.

Functional concepts:

1. The shield when activated (blocking), will be held infront of the tenno, providing cover from incoming fire and even explosives. The protection from explosives should probably trigger a visual effect in which the blast is distributed in a cone behind the tenno.

2. The shield may also extend out the sides to provide additional cover for tenno attemping to attack from behind it or through it, if it's energy based, providing a new strategic form of play.

3. When blocking with the shield, the tenno will move at reduced speed. Moving with the shield will increase the cost of stamina when blocking incoming fire.

4. Attacking with the shield will knock down enemies directly infront of the Tenno. This will cost stamina and have a delay before allowing the Tenno to use it again, preventing the Tenno from spamming a single group of enemies.

The vision I have for this, is to give the stamina system some more uses, encouraging stamina builds.

EOISCM302T_Pavise_Shields.jpg

_44213137_policeshields_afp.jpg

Edited by C4Chaos42

This what Silva and Aegis should`ve been at the beggining.

And I`d totally use a Shield instead of a melee weapon. So technically shield would be a weapon with a stance and 2 positions. God I love my own idea :D

I just want shield bashing; maybe few shield bashing combos, on of which allows you bashing the Grineer all sort of way in 500 shield-hits combo.

As I remember DE stated that bashing and holding an enemy as a shield would be possible in future.

Edited by Vicious_D

3. When blocking with the shield, the tenno will move at reduced speed. Moving with the shield will increase the cost of stamina when blocking incoming fire.

I'm with you except for this part, but I'm willing to compromise on this part of the idea:

Make small shields that don't hinder mobility while blocking, and offer a decent boost in defense. Sort of like Silva & Aegis. Like a buckler or heater shield. Good for staying quick on your feet while still being able to take more hits than someone without a shield.

Then make large/heavy shields that slow you down, and offer the best boost in defense. Something like the Shield Lancer's shield. Really big. Good for really taking the hate without all the hurt, so you and your squad can push forward safely, but at the expense of mobility.

Also, it would be nice to be able to use secondaries while blocking with the shield, like the shield lancers, except our secondaries tend to be stronger than our primaries.

shields like this please.  Regular shields are boring ;d

Definitely need something like this. :D

On a side note, what if each weapon had it's own passive block bonus?

Staves - Able to knock away rockets

Swords - Able to deflect shots back at enemies

Heavy Weapons - knock back melee targets

Shields - Since their offensive capabilities are limited, they gain all defensive bonus of other weapons?

etc...?

Edited by C4Chaos42