Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Machine Guns For The Ninjas

--Q--Nagling

I've been playing Warframe for over two years and I've been quite satisfied with the diversity of weapons that are offered. However, I do feel that we're missing a heavy machine gun from this game. I know that some people will say that it won't be very stealthy/ninjaish, but we already have very ninjaish weapons such as grenade launchers.

For me the idea of a heavy machine gun is the potential for ridiculous firepower (yes, ridiculous, bare with me), but with a cost. So in general the heavy machine gun would provide lots of firepower for a group of tenno, but the tenno operating the machine gun cannot equip other weapons and cannot shoot the gun until it is planted on the ground. Afterwards the gun is planted it will have a narrowish cone to shoot and several guns couldn't be planted near each other (just to prevent stacking machine guns on each other eg. in a defence and shooting the everything to pieces). Also when the weapon is planted, the operating Tenno will lose his/her Warframe-abilities and they will be replaced with modification option of the machine gun.

For example:

+ Ridiculous firepower

+ Machinegun specific modifications

-> 1: Normal rounds (only effects come from mods equipped on the weapon). No energy cost

-> 2: Shrapnell rounds (enemies hit will have a slash proc and enemies near the original target will take some radial slash damage). Costs x-energy per shot.

-> 3: Piercing rounds (gives innate punch through to all shots fired). Costs x-energy per shot.

-> 4: Last stand (Greatly enhances the fire rate, damage and status chance of shots). Costs x% per second, while firing, draining all energy in ~6seconds.

While carrying the machinegun:

- Unable to operate the weapon until planted.

- Slowed movement.

- Unable to equip other weapons.

- Planting the weapon and dismantling it has a cast time (~4 sec each).

Machinegun is planted:

- Unable to gain energy via plates/trinity, only energy orbs (while the weapon is planted).

- Loose ability to use Warframe specific abilities.

- Unable to move.

- Small cone of firing.

- Cannot have multiple machine guns near each other (eg. 20 meter radius).

- When changing position/angle of firing cone, weapon must be dismantled and planted again.

So I sincerely hope that we might be seeing something like this in the game in the future. DE if you're reading, I hope this idea would appeal to you also.

Since the other topic didn't have the full post I'll post my thoughts here:

Honestly, with it prohibiting the use of abilities, not being able to equip other guns, and having to be planted it doesn't sound all that useful unless it can mow down level 100+ enemies with ease, and even then with the amount of enemies that come from almost all directions having it firing in a narrow cone would be detrimental to the user's survival.

Though I do support the idea of a HMG. Personally I'd love to have a belt-fed machine gun similar to a M60 or MG42. Assuming the Tenno have above-human strength (which all of them probably do have, since they're supposed to be mutated super soldiers) they could carry something like that and fire it without having to mount it.

Although I like the idea and I'm all about new weapon concepts, I think ammo consumption would be a major issue. For long missions I don't see it working outside of bringing dozens of ammo restores or having a GMag fishing for ammo, but then again, almost every long mission has a Gmag or Nekros or both.

Actually, I do take grenade launchers for stealth

Everybody has their style. But for weapon design perspective, silent weapons are specificly designed for stealth runs. Why couldn't we have a weapon that is specificly designed for defence type of missions, where you have a heavy gunner dealing with the mass of enemies, while the rest of the group watch your back and deal with the other enemies seeping in from the sides?

While I like the concept of a bigger gun as much as anyone else, I feel like the tradeoffs that would be necessary to prevent HMGs from becoming "buy-this-to-win" weapons like the Synoid Gammacor was before its nerf would be too great to make them worthwhile anywhere except Defense/Mobile Defense.

Also, lead walls are so 2007.

Cry_some_more.jpg

Edited by TenguBlade