Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Channeling Suggestion

TheBrsrkr

Channeling is just really poor as a function in Warframe. Every melee weapon has the same multiplier of 1.5, which is kind of poor due to how melee mods are. Channeled block serves more as a hindrance than anything, as it drains way too much energy to really be a viable option at any level, and you're forced to use it when you want to use ANY channeling function. Only 2 channeling mods raise efficiency, and all others lower it by horribly large amounts, and the mods on a whole don't provide enough benefit to swap them out for any of the standard mods they compete with. It's in pretty bad shape. Not worth the energy at any rate.

What I propose is that channeling should be a state rather than a function. Space Magic™ Energy is always in high demand, and melee has to be seen as a viable enough option to use it on, if at all.

The proposed channeled state will increase all aspects of the Tenno. Speed, melee BASE damage, swing speed, bullet jump and double jump distance, all by (at least) 15%. Channeled block will no longer be automatic, but require you to block as usual. Knockdown and stagger recovery is increased by 30%. Parry is innate to blocking, but the mod will apply it to the non-channeled state. Reflection is innate. Slam attacks have their range increased by 1m. All at the (average) cost of 5 energy per second when swinging that goes up to 8 when channel blocking, and 2 energy for simply being in the channeled state.

Channeling efficiency mods are left as is, but negative channeling efficiency is halved on all mods (except Life Strike and Corrupt Charge) and removed from some of the weird ones, like this status chance and crit chance channelling mods. Mods will be added that cater to every aspect that gets increased (such as a BJ/DJ distance mod when channeling) and some that add additional effects, such as x energy restored on kill, x% knockdown resistance, X% damage reduction while in a channelled state, or even some elemental mods if feasible like the bullet jump mods.

As for weapons, the channeling multiplier should be buffed to 2.0x at base on average. A rough outline of channeling efficiencies will be something like this:

Hammers: specialized, with the Jat at 7 EPS and a 2.5x multiplier, the Fragor on average and the Magister at 4 EPS and a 2.8x multiplier.

Swords: 3 EPS, average everything else

Dual Swords: average, 2.5x multiplier, 2.7x on the Nami Skyla

Ninkanas: 6 EPS, 2.3x multiplier

Machetes: average, 3x multiplier, 3.2x on the Nami Solo

Heavy Blades: 8 EPS, 2.5x multiplier

Scythes: average, additional chance to proc slash

Claws: 3 EPS, average

Fists: same as claws

Sword and Board: average, 2.2x multiplier, does not drain additional energy on channeled block

Whips:4 EPS, average multiplier, additional status chance

Gun blade: 9 EPS, 3.0x multiplier, applies to gun

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but you get the gist of it.

The point is nor only to make channeling a viable part of melee, but also to give a variety of choices on how to mod for melee. It makes the player have to choose between abilities and channeling and actually have to ponder it instead of abilities being flat out better all the time, and doesn't force your melee weapon to tickle enemies while you do it.

Edited by TheBrsrkr

I like your ideas, but I'd fuse together that and what we have now (Energy per Hit), instead of having a EPS only mode. That is because of the "time gap" often necessary to reach the next victim (the word choise is intentional XD) for which one would consume high energy just to move a bit faster, in particular in big maps (and if toggle channeling is on in particular). If we have, I don't know, 50% of that cost as a costant drain and the rest as a per hit drain maybe it would be more melee friendly...

Actually I'm not totally sure about what I wrote, I think testing would be needed to decide. BTW I support your idea

I like your ideas, but I'd fuse together that and what we have now (Energy per Hit), instead of having a EPS only mode. That is because of the "time gap" often necessary to reach the next victim (the word choise is intentional XD) for which one would consume high energy just to move a bit faster, in particular in big maps (and if toggle channeling is on in particular). If we have, I don't know, 50% of that cost as a costant drain and the rest as a per hit drain maybe it would be more melee friendly...

Actually I'm not totally sure about what I wrote, I think testing would be needed to decide. BTW I support your idea

That seems like a good idea. I'll edit it in.

Channeling only  needs some tweaks:

-Being a toggle function and drain energy per second instead of per hit (current per hit benefits slow hard hitter weapons over fast low damage ones, and drain per enemy hit make channel drain all your energy in one or two swings agains a horde of enemies)

-Channel mods positive effecst buffed (Quickening, Enduring strike, True punishment) or the negative channeling efficiency reduced (Life strike)

-Return old channeling mods with new purpose: Warrior's grip (reduce the energy consumption by channel blocking)

Edited by Nazrethim

• 1 month later...