Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prisma Vulkar?

LeFancyHeadcrab

Void Trader is appearing a little too soon to suggest this for his next appearance, but an upgrade to a sniper that could use some love is desirable, especially with the upcoming sniper update.

The majority of this is light comparisons scratching the surface of each weapon. If you believe that the Vulkar can indeed outdamage the Vectis Prime on Corpus with modding and can give proof of such a thing, please do post it here.

Vectis P and Vulkar both have the same crit chance, although Vectis does have a higher status chance. Vectis always had a slightly higher amount of general damage and reload, which is fine. The magazine, of course, is much smaller, which makes it a better candidate for Charged and Primed Chamber. Vulkar, in return, has a larger magazine.

The true icebreaker between them appears to be Vulkar's clear-cut Corpus impact based attacks that can knock the socks helmets off of any corpus troop, but being particularly useful in demolishing shields. Unfortunately, when modded, the Vectis Prime clearly excels in damage versus the Vulkar in quite a noticeable number.

Vulkar is a Grineer weapon. It can't be primed, but it certainly could become Prisma or Wraith, which is a fine chance to give it some additional general damage as well as improvement in it's favored type, Impact.

Keep in mind I do not expect nor particularly want the Vulkar to outdamage the Vectis/Vectis Prime in general, I simply want it to perform better in the situations it is designed for - fighting Corpus. In this aspect, it may be seen as a situational weapon in comparison to other snipers, but as far I can see that's what it's supposed to be.

I second this. Also having put multiple forms in both I can say that there is nothing Vulkar can do that the V Prime couldn't do far better, even more so if they both are modded for a specific faction. Sure vulkar has a larger clip but that is killed quickly by its reload time while V prime can maintain its output far better. Also while ISP damage matters little in most cases when fully modded, in order to get close to the raw damage of the V prime, Vulkar relies heavily on impact damage, arguably the worst physical damage type.

I wouldn't say the additional 60% damage means quite as much. The syndicate augment feature is something to laugh at, though. Sniper wielders shouldn't be in need of health and a burst of damage to nearby non-existent enemies.

Even with this damage in mind, though, the Vectis Prime can still outdamage it with ease. I've experimented with numerous builds, based on the actual practicality (i.e: magazine, max ammo, reload) and pure damage. Vectis P still outdamages in all situations.

Edited by LeFancyHeadcrab

Love the augment love the gun hopefully they decrease the reload time somehow and I'm good

Reload is nice, but it isn't really the problem of Vulkar. If a Prisma variant were released, It'd be fine to simply put some reload mods on it.

Vectis P and Vulkar both have the same crit chance, although Vectis does have a higher status chance. Vectis always had a slightly higher amount of general damage and reload, which is fine. The magazine, of course, is much smaller, which makes it a better candidate for Charged and Primed Chamber. Vulkar, in return, has a larger magazine.

The true icebreaker between them appears to be Vulkar's clear-cut Corpus impact based attacks that can knock the socks helmets off of any corpus troop, but being particularly useful in demolishing shields. Unfortunately, when modded, the Vectis Prime clearly excels in damage versus the Vulkar in quite a noticeable number.

Keep in mind I do not expect nor particularly want the Vulkar to outdamage the Vectis/Vectis Prime in general, I simply want it to perform better in the situations it is designed for - fighting Corpus. In this aspect, it may be seen as a situational weapon in comparison to other snipers, but as far I can see that's what it's supposed to be.

Just to clear up some things. Vulkar has always had lower crit chance than Vectis (20% base versus Vectis's 25% base).

I've been using the Vulkar since a little before its first damage buff to 145. I've stuck with it for a while and it's definitely come through after getting a Syndicate augment and 2 buffs.

I remember when Vectis got its increased status chance, I originally had though they were giving Vectis the buff that the Vulkar should have gotten. That is to say, Vectis should get the damage and Vulkar should get the status.

But I've later realized that Vectis's distribution of procs will be all over the place, as it has roughly even-ish distribution of IPS; it lacks consistency in its procs. Despite being the worst of the IPS damage types, Vulkar's large Impact damage inclination necessarily means you will almost exclusively be getting Impact procs and elemental procs.

For this reason, status becomes a sort of "whatever bonus" on the Vectis (because it's also ancillary to damage for most people), while it can becomes a handy stun (Impact) or elemental proc on the Vulkar for heavies that you miss a headshot on.

I feel as though classifying it as a "Corpus" gun just because of Impact damage is unfairly categorizing it. After all, Elements are where most of your damage comes from. IPS damage will definitely push your gun a little farther (or hold it back slightly), but to say its usefulness lies in one faction seems slightly misguided.

In my opinion, if you want Vulkar to perform better without just a damage increase, I'd just imagine a Prisma version to have 1 or 2 more shots in the mag with 5% more status chance or 2.4 seconds reload with 5% more status chance. This lets Vulkar get more procs, which will either soften up enemies (Corrosive,Viral) or stun them (Impact, Blast). Having a couple of extra bullets just means you can sustain your fire for a little longer or shortened reload for a similar sort of effect.

Due to its higher zoom, I feel like Vulkar works better at a distance where you can pick off a few high-threat enemies (Gunners, Bombards, Ancients), and reload when there's only a few grunts left. In that sense, it strikes me as a little bit of a support weapon (or proc/stagger for enemies that don't fall over if you miss a headshot). Having extra bullets or shorter reload means you can offer longer supportive fire or less downtime between support. The extra status just gives more proc opportunities.

Their damage can be similar actually, assuming you utilize Dead Aim from Lasting Purity (shooting while zoomed)

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Vectis/t_30_22222003_132-2-5-137-0-10-138-6-5-140-4-5-141-7-5-144-5-3-150-1-10-159-3-5_137-7-150-8-132-8-159-5-140-5-144-9-138-11-141-6/en/2-0-23/66158/0

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Vulkar/t_30_22332000_132-1-5-133-2-5-137-0-10-138-7-5-140-4-5-141-3-5-159-5-5-382-6-3_137-7-132-8-133-6-141-6-140-5-159-9-382-7-138-11/en/2-0-24/61180/0

I'd normally switch that 3rd element for Punch Through, but that's another matter. Though this is comparing regular Vectis and Vulkar. Vectis Prime builds often outdamage the Vectis which naturally means the Vulkar in turn.

Why ask for a powercreeped version of a gun that's already strong AND whose weapon class is being revised?  It makes more sense to ask for Prisma versions of weapons that are obtained early on, like the Strun, Kunai, and Kestrel.  Slightly stronger variants of those give people the powercreep that they want without creating overpowered monster weapons that trivialize content even further and create a precedent of just powercreeping every mediocre design instead of fixing it.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

<Wall of Text>

Certainly interesting. The reason I consider it good at corpus is the damage multipliers and the fact that all snipers, perhaps Lanka excluded, generally have their power limited versus infested due to fast movement, no visible heads, and mass numbers. It doesn't do particularly better against Grineer since half of Vectis P's main damage goes to Puncture, which only has positive multipliers vs Grineer.

I reckon you are right, though. Elements do indeed make the majority of the weapon's damage and calling it a gun destined to fighting a specific faction isn't fair until it's modded. This hadn't been on my mind much at time of post.

Regardless, I do still believe that a Prisma variant would be interesting itself. Any additional bullets to pop is always nice, but extra reload would be particularly interesting to put some competition between the two. Hit a reload mod on it if it does get a buff (or not, it really doesn't *need* one), make some more use out of impact proc.

Perhaps I should experiment more builds.

Vectis Prime is still the clearcut winner.

G41szd0.png