Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Glaive Type Weapons And The New Charge Mechanic

EX-Zanki

I know there are a lot of topics focusing on charge AND charge on weapons like Glaives, Mios, Redeemer and others with a previous charge mechanic, but in this topic i would like to focus the attention on the Glaives as many changes have been made to this weapon's class.

Big wall of explanation incoming, I made special effort on being very detailed in every case, I made this so a DE member could understand the reasons they should revert the changes made to this type of weapon because it doesn't offer nothing positive and they are mostly nerfs.

TLDR: Revert ALL changes made to the Glaive please, except the very slightly improved targeting of the throw mechanic.

I'm a long glaive user so I know a thing or two about these weapons, i'll clasify every change and their effect in the battlefield and compare it to their previous state.

Postive side: It seems glaive weapons like the Glaive and Glaive Prime have better targeting, this is noticeably on stealth missions, its not a very big change but happens more often than before.

1.- Charge time: The glaive's charge mechanic was mostly used in three very specific situations:

- In stealth situations, i know its not a very popular game choice, but its always there and some people like stealth for fun purposes or just because.

- To deal with nullifiers, this is a very popular situation in specially in open battlefield scenarios, like the void defenses or survivals, you need to equip Power Throw for this to work.

- To deal with large clumped groups of enemies, Power throw is again required for this to work, alternatively and depending on your Glaive's speed and your reflexes you could also use channeling when throwing the weapon.

Now with the new charge time its innecessarily harder to use the throwing in all those situations due to the natural pace of the game, this increase of time only slows down the user and puts him in a greater risk of being downed or discovered while atempting to use it, please return it as it was pre-change.

2.- Normal Attack first, then throw: This is the action that happens before attempting to throw the glaive, your warrior will make a normal attack and then will throw even when you just hold the attack button, this only happened with the unsheathed "version" of the weapon.

Now both "versions" incurr on this behavior which only slows you down and makes throwing weapons not being fluid and easy to use.

3.- The new animation for throwing: I will start saying that the new animation looks very cool, having said that its very impractical because most players use the crosshair to the right, this new animation is suited for a left crosshair, so when attempting to lock on an enemy your glaive will never reach its destination because it will collide with a wild object of the battlefield, this is very noticeable in stealth situations, its not really a problem of the crosshair, that stays without change its the animation that's affecting the throw.

Please return it as it was pre-change.

4.- Slide attack: Maybe this is not a very known fact but pre change you could make the slide attack up to three times and some times four depending if you executed the move from jumping position, its used in large clumps of enemies prefereably from a stealth position and was a very comfortable animation because it allowed you to hit enemies with a very fast second slide attack in case of a missed first try.

It now behaves as every other weapon, it was a special and unique feature of this class of weapon and it was very welcomed as it just felt easy to use. Please return it as it was pre-change.

EDIT

Found something else:

It seems that max travel distance of the Glaive and Glaive Prime has been affected and now its a bit shorter, previously it was 25meters so it synergized well with enemy sense and enemy radar for measuring purposes, if it appears on your radar, it could be hit 100% of the time, current max travel distance is around 24.5, so now you have to guess or trial and error when trying to hit an enemy from afar.

Edited by EX-Zanki

I was just about to open a feedback about it, I found this so I don't need..

Anyway,

as everyone said here before me, the charge attack is too slow and the animation is confusing.

I tried to do the sortie mission with my Glaive Prime, but it felt too slow and it took me a lot of time to understand why I can't throw it. I later relized it's because the new charge attack mechanics requires you to hold the attack button longer, it feels slow, too slow.

About the animation, it is confusing. I see my frame doing a twist I didn't see before, but it's not the throw I remember so I kept stoping my attack because I thought it's just going to attack normally. Only later I relized it's the new charge attack mechanics.

About a better targeting system, I didn't see any difference, I always was a sniper with this type of weapon so it's hard to tell.

Gunblade class - I didn't try the new charge attack with this weapon yet, but I heard from a friend of mine, who is a big fan of the Redeemer, that it's not comfterble and feels awkward to use.

Please, DE, bring back the old mechanics for the throwing melee and gunblade classes of weapons.

Charge attack takes too long with thrown melee and throwing while holstered is clunky at best. Devs warned in latest devstream that throwing while holstered is a WIP though.

One thing I actually like is the fact the glaive is thrown using the hand that holds it now. No magic glaive hand switching. That's why it charges with a left handed throw on the first movement. If you start charging during another part of the combo it may throw it with the right or left hand according to the combo.

Edited by lukaself

Yup as a glaive user I agree.  The quick launch of the glaive in "non-melee 2.0" mode was lost and honestly it's kinda weird how other weapons retained their distinct quick melee and melee 2.0 modes, while the glaive is now behaving the same way in both modes, just without the energy trails.  Doesn't make sense.

It just looks broken to see my character begin to do a melee combo, then mid way jerk over to the charge for 2 seconds, with the crosshair and camera behaving strangely, while targets are moving by the way, then launch the glaive into nothingness.

I think the glaive and other thrown melees like it should just have this advanced charging mechanism in melee 2.0 mode only.

Please give us back the quick launch, without the weird jerky animation that cancels the combos, in quick melee mode.

EDIT:  The new wonky combo before launch also makes builds with the quick return mod kind of pointless too.

Edited by sushidubya

Here, have every +1 I have left on the forums.

Kestral is my most used weapon, and within minutes of loading this update I turned it off to play something else.

Not suggesting my reaction is of concern to DE, but it just shows how bad this felt to me personally.

My only hope is it gets fixed, or at least reverted when they add charge attacks to quick melee.

If it absolutely has to have the extra movement in the animation for charge attacks to work, why not shorten the charge time by the equivalent so that overall it still takes the same amount of time?

It feels as long as charging up an unmodded Opticor now!