Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction]Tenebris Novum

-Synapse-

PART 1  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have no recollection of my prior lives, the memories fade rapidly upon being re-born. The memories of laughter and mirth, the memories of sorrow and pain, even memories of death have been lost to me many times. My comrades say that you never truly die, that you are re-made ready for battle again. Ready for death again. I know will never stop living, I know I will always return to my duties. But by the Queens I will never forgive those who continue take my life from me. The Corpus. The Infested... and worse.

I am known as HM-173a. Or Ham for short. All Grineer have serial numbers, but names are much easier to remember and are more easily understood during firefights. I am considered somewhat of a hero nowadays, after a violent encounter with an Infestation outbreak aboard our ship, but heroism doesn't go very far on a military Cruiser holding nearly 200,000 troops. For this reason, I was now tasked with guard duty. A Sawman Skirmisher. On guard duty. I was not cut out for this line of work, I was meant to be on the front lines of fierce battles, felling foes with unmatched skill, tearing through the feble flesh of--

*Thump*

"Ham! Wake up you dunce, sleeping wasn't part of my orders!" Barked a deep voice from above.

"Huh... oh, um, Apologies, sirI just-"

"Was about to get back to doing your job? Patrolling, Ham, you remember the briefing? I'll give you a chance to sleep when Shren takes over your shift. Just be ready for work tomorrow morning."

"Yes sir."

I scrambled to my feet and saluted as my squad leader stormed off down the tight hallway to rag on some fresh recruits. He wasn't a bad person, really. He had a short temper, but at heart he cared for his squad and had done his best to train us.

Sighing, I adjusted my Cleaver and set off on my patrol. I didn't have much floor space to cover, just a small portion of a long corridor leading to the ships navigation room. I paced back and forth, periodically drawing my weapon, inspecting it's dull blade, testing it's non-existent balance, then placing back in it's sheath. Come to think of it, all of my gear was poor in quality. My armor consisted of some barely shaped Ferrite plates secured into place with old rubber straps. My helmet was open-faced, providing protection from neither bullets, claws, or even the musty air of this old ship. Truly a testament the the Grineer military's working conditions

Luckily I had a great squad to make up for the worse parts of this job. Crelt, the short-tempered leader I got woken up by earlier was an Elite Lancer. There was Teon, a good-natured Heavy Gunner, along with two brothers, both of them standard Lancers. And then we had Shren, a Scorpion to whom I'd taken a liking. Not in a romantic way of course, but she was a good friend and had helped me out on numerous occasions. None of these occasions included combat scenarios however, as I haven't seen very much action since my re-deployment, besides that little run-in with the Infested plague victims.

I patrolled for another hour or so, until Shren came to relieve me for the evening shift. She told me as I left for the bunk room that I 'Really should have slept the night before', rather than staying up to watch a live speech from Lieutenant Lech Kril. I had to admit, she was right. I wouldn't be staying up all night for a long time to come. I returned to the barracks and flopped down on my bunk. It had been a long day, I had daydreamed through the majority of it, and even dozed off a few times. Not a good thing to get in the habit of doing. I would have to sleep well tonight. I sat up, removed my boots and helmet, followed by the rest of my combat gear, and sank back onto the hard mattress. Then, with a last exhausting effort, pulled the blanket over me.

Sleep came easy.

Dreams poured through my mind and filled my vision. They were not pleasant dreams though. I heard screams, gunfire, and heavy footsteps. I saw myself being killed over and over, each death more brutal than the last. Red filled my vision and I saw a dark, kneeling figure draw a blade and jump at me. This sort of thing continued for far too long, before I was mercifully awoken by a familiar voice.

"Ham... Ham, wake up."

My eyes creaked open to see Shren, who had been stationed in the same bunk room, leaning over me.

"What is it?" I croaked in a drowsy tone.

"Come look at this." She beckoned me to follow.

I groaned, yawned, then hauled my self out of my bunk to follow Shren's dark figure through the room towards the open doorway. She motioned for me to stop when we'd reached the door. Peering over her shoulder and casting my gaze back an forth over the dark hall, I could just barely make out a slender figure kneeling by the far wall. As my eyes adjusted to the dark I could make out that the figure was wearing what looked like form-fitting porcelain, and had some sort of reactor on the back of it's head which emitted a soft, almost unseeable glow. My heart nearly stopped as I realized what it was. I Pulled Shren back and looked her in the eyes, nearly panicking.

"Hide!" I rasped in a voice more filled with alarm than I had hoped.

"Wh-why? She stammered, obviously confused as to why I sounded so afraid.

"Do you have any idea what that thing is?" I whispered harshly, scrambling under a nearby bunk.

"It's a Tenno, Shren! A Tenno!" I concluded as I tried to make myself go further back under the bunk than was possible.

No more needed to be said, she slid under the bunk with me and huddled up into a ball. 

We waited, huddled in cowardice on the dusty floor below what I now realized to be my squad leader's bunk. The tension was unbearable. Questions raced through my mind. What was a Tenno doing here? Why was it outside our bunk room? What did it want? Will I survive to see tomorrow?

A soft sound stirred the in the deafening silence. Footsteps, softer than anything I've ever heard, entered the room. I held my breath. Feet moved into view, and I closed my eyes. I heard dagger slide off of a magnetic sheath, a soft whimpering from Shren, then a fleshy thump. Seconds later the footsteps slowly left the room, and faded out down the hallway. After what must have been several minutes I opened my eyes. I glanced at Shren. She was shaking slightly, and still maintained her balled-up position, but looked unharmed. I was just about to venture a peek out to see if it was still lurking somewhere near, when a dreaded sound hit my ears.

*Drip*

*Drip*

*Drip

In horror, I saw what the noise was. Crimson blood dripped slowly, one drop at a time, from the bunk under which we were hiding.

I was as experienced as a Tenno two weeks out of the Cryo Pod could be, though that is not to say I was not as deadly as any other. Bearing the Nova Warframe was nothing new to me. I retained knowledge and skill from my prior life, even if I do not remember it. I was tasked by the Lotus to remove three of the Grineer's best squad leaders, something a true beginner would never be able to handle. I had completed my task 1/3 of the way already, and it was looking to be a very smooth job indeed.

"One down, two to go." I mused as I crept away from the rank bunk room. I slid the Despair I had used to end Sergeant Crelt Tem back into it's sheath. The ship was understandably quiet, according to Lotus most of the troops stationed here were on leave. Grineer rarely sleep, so most of them used the leave time to do just that. The perfect chance to perform my task.

"First sign of danger and I bail." I said to myself,

"No sense in losing my life for a simple task like this."

Halfway down the barracks hall I approached a guard on patrol, drew my Bo staff from my back, and slithered up behind him. I brought the staff around in a shallow arc, connecting with the guards temple with a dull crack.  He grunted and crumpled to the floor, unconscious. I was here to assassinate three renowned leaders, not to bother killing mere guardsmen. I propped him up against a wall to give the appearance of him sleeping of his own accord, then continued on towards my next quarry.

The second target went as smoothly as the first, as did the third.

My contract complete, I carefully made my way through the dark corridors in search of an airlock from which to extract. As a result of intense training in the arts of stealth and espionage, I was usually very good at navigating dark spaces. Which is why running head first into a locked door came as somewhat of a surprise. I fell on back, dumbfounded. I knew how Grineer systems worked. I had been forced to use them on several occasions, a door only locks when it's told to via a control console. I had passed one of these just a few meters back from the now locked door.

"Stop, Tenno." Rasped a grave voice from behind me.

I froze.

"You will not be leaving here alive!" Screamed the voice of what could only be a Scorpion. Nobody else had that eerie mechanized tone.    

Despite fearing that I might see more than I heard, I shot a glance over my shoulder.

A Grineer squad stood there, eyeing me with unfiltered fear. The squad appeared to be bottom-of-the-line in terms of unit quality. A lone Sawman Skirmisher stood at the forefront brandishing a rusty Heat Cleaver, two Lancers trained their weapons on me from behind him, and one Scorpion stood off to the side wielding a poor excuse for a sword. Though this rabble of rookies would not last long against me, I could make out the towering shadow of a Heavy Gunner in the distance of the hallway. I had to act fast if I wanted to make an escape before it showed up to spoil the fun.

Sliding my Bo staff into my hands, I look a deep breath, and lunged. 

Now standing behind the Tenno, I could now see it in it's entirety. The "porcelain" portions of it's body were a dark grey, highlighted with a deep red. It had two more reactors on it's back identical to the one on it's head, along side them was what looked to be a quarterstaff of sorts. And then there were the knives. Dozens of them in each sheath, of which there were two, one on each thigh.

"Stop, Tenno." I barely whispered the phrase. I was terrified.

"You will not be leaving here alive!" Shren yelled at it.

This obviously angered the Tenno, as it swiveled it's head to face us. Even though it's face was obscured by a mask, I could tell it was smirking. Before I could do or say anything, it drew it's quarterstaff and leaped at me. However, rather than striking with the staff, it jumped into the air and attempted to plant one of it's feet in my chest. I ducked under the kick, spinning into a swing with my Cleaver. My weapon connected with it's side, sending the Warframe skidding towards the sibling Lancers, who opened fire at the same time.

The Tenno took several shots from their Grakadas before managing to land some solid hit's on them. After a few blows to the brothers' knees the Tenno whirled around, striking both Lancers in the head. They fell to the ground limp, and likely seriously injured.

"Death to the Lotus!" Came the battle cry from Shren as she swung her sword at the Tenno. It blocked the strike with ease, flipping her sword out of her hands with a complicated twist of the staff. It was then that I decided to act, dashing towards the Tenno as it brought it's staff around to finish Shren. I grabbed the staff, twisting it out of the Tenno's grip. I flung the weapon down the hall with as much strength as I could manage. I quickly brought my knee up into the Tenno's stomach, causing the opponent to bend over. Raising my Cleaver high in the air, I prepared to deliver the final blow. I swung down at it's neck, aiming to decapitate it. But the blow never landed. The Tenno had recovered from my previous strike and, moving with incredible speed, ducked to the side and slammed a foot into my knee. 

*CRUNCH*  

Bone shattered, skin tore, vision blurred. The pain was unbearable. I toppled over, but unfortunately remained conscious even through the agony. I saw the foregoing events unfold in a blurry daze. Shren was executed with a knife to the heart. I wanted to scream, I wanted to help, but my body would not move.

As my vision began to go dark, I saw Teon storming towards the Tenno, Gorgon raised. I could hear the massive gun spooling up and firing. Hundreds of rounds hit their target every second, tearing the Warframe's armor to shreds. Teon stopped firing as the Tenno staggered back and to dropped heavily to it's knees, blood beginning to seep out of several bullet holes.

"Heh... so they do bleed." I thought, though my mind was beginning to go numb.

The Tenno fell do the side, and moved no more. 

With that, I closed my eyes and dropped into blissful darkness.

With reluctant ears I heard it approaching, heavy metallic clanks echoed through the hall as it barreled towards me. I turned from the dying Scorpion to face the figure of my demise. I didn't have time to scream, I didn't have time to run. The wall of lead hit me before I could even flinch.

Round after round struck true, dropping my shields in seconds. Then the pain came. It hit harder than any bullet could.  

Hundreds of bullets eagerly ripped into me, every wound worse than the last. Dropping to my knees with all the finality and closure of death itself, I felt the shot's cease, and the monstrosity lowered it's weapon. Letting my head bow, I saw the damage that was done.

"Why?"

The word repeated itself over and over in my head. But I already knew the answer. As I felt myself tip to the side, my thoughts left reality. It was like falling asleep, only without the fear of waking. I could feel my body dying, though strangely I didn't feel remorse, or regret, or fear.

I was. . . happy.

But, like all good things, my dip into the afterlife did not last. A gentle shake brought me screaming back into my body. I gasped, sitting upright with a start. There was a Grineer kneeling next to me with one leg twisted at an odd angle.

"You put up a good fight." He said flatly.

Then added with a slightly lowered tone, "You should leave. There will be more here soon, and they will not think twice about killing you."

I didn't have the strength to ask why he was was helping me, or how he thought I was able to move, but the fact that he would betray his people to save me, his mortal enemy, was beyond my understanding.

"I know the way to the nearest airlock, can you walk?"

A stupid question for sure, but I gathered my wits and gave a response.

"No."

He frowned and appeared to be contemplating something.

"Can you crawl?" He asked after some time.

"Maybe." I replied, though I knew such a process would be excruciating.

"Follow me." He said, starting to crawl towards the door.

It was unlocked this time. I rolled over onto my hands and knees and followed him. Surprisingly, moving wasn't as painful as I had anticipated, though it still hurt like Hell. Eventually we made it to an old airlock room. As expected, the Snub fighter was already attached to one of the ports.  I thanked the Grineer, whom I now recognized as the one who's leg I had broken. He nodded solemnly and watched as I pulled myself up onto the Docker and locked myself in.

He left the room sealing the door behind him.

"That was odd." I thought to myself.

"Aiding the Tenno is punishable by death. Why did he do it?" 

Maybe he was in shock, maybe he had some kind of trap planned, or maybe he just had a strange sense of honor. Whatever the case, I survived.

Barely.

Serial #: HM-173a                                                           

Conviction: Affiliation with Tenno operative                    

Sentence: Death

My new squad leader had given me the data tablet at the beginning of the days shift, I had put off reading it until I was relieved by Shren's replacement, and had retired to my bunk. I frowned as my eyes swept over the words again and again, wondering how this all came to be and when it had all started.

I remembered waking up in a cold sweat, dazed and confused. I had seen the Tenno laying there in a puddle of her own blood and felt, for lack of a better word, mercy. I had heard stories of the horrendous crimes the Tenno committed on numerous occasions, but this one didn't seem to match those stories in any respect. For one, the Tenno of the stories were bloodthirsty and ruthless... but this one had only killed when it had to, opting to incapacitate whenever possible. She had also thanked me for my aid, in an instance where the Tenno of the stories would have painted the walls with me. Either I had been lied to about these people, or this individual was a special case.

However, no matter my reasons, no matter how I justify it to myself, my actions had gotten me sentenced to death.

I sighed, tucking the data tablet under my bunk and pulling my blanket over me for the last time. I didn't sleep. How could I when my death was scheduled for the very next day? Under any other circumstances I would just be cloned anew, ready for duty again. But this was different. They don't clone traitors, they kill them. For good.

"What's it all for, anyways?" I thought to myself.

"Why do we fight and endless war against a clearly superior force? Why do we deny our empire's inevitable fall?"  These thoughts were traitorous, but apparently so were my actions. I had committed treason, and I would pay the price to keep my honor.

"Grineer don't have honor, you know that much." The more logical side of me reasoned.

"Then I am no Grineer." came the reply from the traitor in me.

"Ham will die a traitor...." I said in a voice shaking with both anger and fear. 

"No." I corrected myself sternly,  "Ham will die a Tenno."

With that, I smiled and fell into a restful sleep.

THE END OF PART 1

PART 2 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why does it hurt to think?" The voice within me said, "Has your mind been so contorted, so twisted, so influenced,  that the mere thought of another way pains you?"

My 'name' is Ham, and I am a traitor. Now standing face against the Deathwall, back to the firing squad, I tremble as my permanent death approaches. Like the thunderous roar of worlds splitting, I heard seven Karak rifles @#&$. Like the silent screams of departing souls, I heard arms raise, eyes take aim, and trigger fingers tense.

"Serves you right traitor!" A painfully familiar voice called out through the jeers of the onlooking crowd. . . Shren. Cloned anew, mind directed and sculpted to believe and fight for whatever she was told. She was alive again, but not to me. I cried. Silent shudders and sobs as the first bullet hit, cries of more than just physical pain as the next several found their mark. I fell back. . . or was it forward? I don't recall, pain keeps the memory foggy for a reason. I just remember hitting the floor with a sickeningly wet thump. This was too familiar. I let myself go.

I was dressed in  only my undershirt and boxers, yet somehow as I lay on the ground in a growing puddle of tainted blood, I felt no pain. I was. . . happy. I was calm, I was ready. But it did not -could not- last. No, whatever personified cruelty is controlling my life would have none of it. 

I woke to the sound of splitting air. Gunshots. Screams. Footsteps. The sight of. . . a figure in grey and red
"Warframe! Attack!" Were the last words of a particularly unlucky Butcher as his head was messily skewered by a quarter staff. There were still too many, some 200 Grineer marines encircled the poised Tenno. No way she takes them all on, not a chance. 

The gunshots started, an ear-splitting cacophony of hundreds of roughly engineered weapons of war all going to work at once. But it didn't keep up, a glowing particle formed in the Tenno's hand and was slammed to the ground with a flash so overwhelmingly blinding I could swear I had after images of after images. 

When the sting had faded and I could see clearly again, everything including my own body was covered in a shimmering film that vibrated with the faintest of hums, almost as if a massive amount of energy was soon to be released. I looked to the Tenno in panic, but no mercy would be found there. She drew a throwing knife and lunged at me. I saw a prior dream before my eyes, a tragic fantasy had become reality.

This was no rescue mission, it could only be another assassination. They are monsters after all.

Edited by -Synapse-

I was as experienced as a Tenno two weeks out of the Cryo Pod could be, though that is not to say I was not as deadly as any other. Bearing the Nova Warframe was nothing new to me. I retained knowledge and skill from my prior life, even if I do not remember it. I was tasked by the Lotus to remove three of the Grineer's best squad leaders, something a true beginner would never be able to handle. I had completed my task 1/3 of the way already, and it was looking to be a very smooth job indeed.

"One down, two to go." I mused as I crept away from the rank bunk room. I slid the Despair I had used to end Sergeant Crelt Tem back into it's sheath. The ship was understandably quiet, according to Lotus most of the troops stationed here were on leave. Grineer rarely sleep, so most of them used the leave time to do just that. The perfect chance to perform my task.

"First sign of danger and I bail." I said to myself,

"No sense in losing my life for a simple task like this."

Halfway down the barracks hall I approached a guard on patrol, drew my Bo staff from my back, and slithered up behind him. I brought the staff around in a shallow arc, connecting with the guards temple with a dull crack.  He grunted and crumpled to the floor, unconscious. I was here to assassinate three renowned leaders, not to bother killing mere guardsmen. I propped him up against a wall to give the appearance of him sleeping of his own accord, then continued on towards my next quarry.

The second target went as smoothly as the first, as did the third.

My contract complete, I carefully made my way through the dark corridors in search of an airlock from which to extract. As a result of intense training in the arts of stealth and espionage, I was usually very good at navigating dark spaces. Which is why running head first into a locked door came as somewhat of a surprise. I fell on back, dumbfounded. I knew how Grineer systems worked. I had been forced to use them on several occasions, a door only locks when it's told to via a control console. I had passed one of these just a few meters back from the now locked door.

"Stop, Tenno." Rasped a grave voice from behind me.

I froze.

"You will not be leaving here alive!" Screamed the voice of what could only be a Scorpion. Nobody else had that eerie mechanized tone.    

Despite fearing that I might see more than I heard, I shot a glance over my shoulder.

A Grineer squad stood there, eyeing me with unfiltered fear. The squad appeared to be bottom-of-the-line in terms of unit quality. A lone Sawman Skirmisher stood at the forefront brandishing a rusty Heat Cleaver, two Lancers trained their weapons on me from behind him, and one Scorpion stood off to the side wielding a poor excuse for a sword. Though this rabble of rookies would not last long against me, I could make out the towering shadow of a Heavy Gunner in the distance of the hallway. I had to act fast if I wanted to make an escape before it showed up to spoil the fun.

Sliding my Bo staff into my hands, I look a deep breath, and lunged. 

Edited by -Synapse-

Now standing behind the Tenno, I could now see it in it's entirety. The "porcelain" portions of it's body were a dark grey, highlighted with a deep red. It had two more reactors on it's back identical to the one on it's head, along side them was what looked to be a quarterstaff of sorts. And then there were the knives. Dozens of them in each sheath, of which there were two, one on each thigh.

"Stop, Tenno." I barely whispered the phrase. I was terrified.

"You will not be leaving here alive!" Shren yelled at it.

This obviously angered the Tenno, as it swiveled it's head to face us. Even though it's face was obscured by a mask, I could tell it was smirking. Before I could do or say anything, it drew it's quarterstaff and leaped at me. However, rather than striking with the staff, it jumped into the air and attempted to plant one of it's feet in my chest. I ducked under the kick, spinning into a swing with my Cleaver. My weapon connected with it's side, sending the Warframe skidding towards the sibling Lancers, who opened fire at the same time.

The Tenno took several shots from their Grakadas before managing to land some solid hit's on them. After a few blows to the brothers' knees the Tenno whirled around, striking both Lancers in the head. They fell to the ground limp, and likely seriously injured.

"Death to the Lotus!" Came the battle cry from Shren as she swung her sword at the Tenno. It blocked the strike with ease, flipping her sword out of her hands with a complicated twist of the staff. It was then that I decided to act, dashing towards the Tenno as it brought it's staff around to finish Shren. I grabbed the staff, twisting it out of the Tenno's grip. I flung the weapon down the hall with as much strength as I could manage. I quickly brought my knee up into the Tenno's stomach, causing the opponent to bend over. Raising my Cleaver high in the air, I prepared to deliver the final blow. I swung down at it's neck, aiming to decapitate it. But the blow never landed. The Tenno had recovered from my previous strike and, moving with incredible speed, ducked to the side and slammed a foot into my knee. 

*CRUNCH*  

Bone shattered, skin tore, vision blurred. The pain was unbearable. I toppled over, but unfortunately remained conscious even through the agony. I saw the foregoing events unfold in a blurry daze. Shren was executed with a knife to the heart. I wanted to scream, I wanted to help, but my body would not move.

As my vision began to go dark, I saw Teon storming towards the Tenno, Gorgon raised. I could hear the massive gun spooling up and firing. Hundreds of rounds hit their target every second, tearing the Warframe's armor to shreds. Teon stopped firing as the Tenno staggered back and to dropped heavily to it's knees, blood beginning to seep out of several bullet holes.

"Heh... so they do bleed." I thought, though my mind was beginning to go numb.

The Tenno fell do the side, and moved no more. 

With that, I closed my eyes and dropped into blissful darkness.  

Edited by -Synapse-

With reluctant ears I heard it approaching, heavy metallic clanks echoed through the hall as it barreled towards me. I turned from the dying Scorpion to face the figure of my demise. I didn't have time to scream, I didn't have time to run. The wall of lead hit me before I could even flinch.

Round after round struck true, dropping my shields in seconds. Then the pain came. It hit harder than any bullet could.  

Hundreds of bullets eagerly ripped into me, every wound worse than the last. Dropping to my knees with all the finality and closure of death itself, I felt the shot's cease, and the monstrosity lowered it's weapon. Letting my head bow, I saw the damage that was done.

"Why?"

The word repeated itself over and over in my head. But I already knew the answer. As I felt myself tip to the side, my thoughts left reality. It was like falling asleep, only without the fear of waking. I could feel my body dying, though strangely I didn't feel remorse, or regret, or fear.

I was. . . happy.

But, like all good things, my dip into the afterlife did not last. A gentle shake brought me screaming back into my body. I gasped, sitting upright with a start. There was a Grineer kneeling next to me with one leg twisted at an odd angle.

"You put up a good fight." He said flatly.

Then added with a slightly lowered tone, "You should leave. There will be more here soon, and they will not think twice about killing you."

I didn't have the strength to ask why he was was helping me, or how he thought I was able to move, but the fact that he would betray his people to save me, his mortal enemy, was beyond my understanding.

"I know the way to the nearest airlock, can you walk?"

A stupid question for sure, but I gathered my wits and gave a response.

"No."

He frowned and appeared to be contemplating something.

"Can you crawl?" He asked after some time.

"Maybe." I replied, though I knew such a process would be excruciating.

"Follow me." He said, starting to crawl towards the door.

It was unlocked this time. I rolled over onto my hands and knees and followed him. Surprisingly, moving wasn't as painful as I had anticipated, though it still hurt like Hell. Eventually we made it to an old airlock room. As expected, the Snub fighter was already attached to one of the ports.  I thanked the Grineer, whom I now recognized as the one who's leg I had broken. He nodded solemnly and watched as I pulled myself up onto the Docker and locked myself in.

He left the room sealing the door behind him.

"That was odd." I thought to myself.

"Aiding the Tenno is punishable by death. Why did he do it?" 

Maybe he was in shock, maybe he had some kind of trap planned, or maybe he just had a strange sense of honor. Whatever the case, I survived.

Barely.      

Serial #: HM-173a                                                           

Conviction: Affiliation with Tenno operative                    

Sentence: Death

My new squad leader had given me the data tablet at the beginning of the days shift, I had put off reading it until I was relieved by Shren's replacement, and had retired to my bunk. I frowned as my eyes swept over the words again and again, wondering how this all came to be and when it had all started.

I remembered waking up in a cold sweat, dazed and confused. I had seen the Tenno laying there in a puddle of her own blood and felt, for lack of a better word, mercy. I had heard stories of the horrendous crimes the Tenno committed on numerous occasions, but this one didn't seem to match those stories in any respect. For one, the Tenno of the stories were bloodthirsty and ruthless... but this one had only killed when it had to, opting to incapacitate whenever possible. She had also thanked me for my aid, in an instance where the Tenno of the stories would have painted the walls with me. Either I had been lied to about these people, or this individual was a special case.

However, no matter my reasons, no matter how I justify it to myself, my actions had gotten me sentenced to death.

I sighed, tucking the data tablet under my bunk and pulling my blanket over me for the last time. I didn't sleep. How could I when my death was scheduled for the very next day? Under any other circumstances I would just be cloned anew, ready for duty again. But this was different. They don't clone traitors, they kill them. For good.

"What's it all for, anyways?" I thought to myself.

"Why do we fight and endless war against a clearly superior force? Why do we deny our empire's inevitable fall?"  These thoughts were traitorous, but apparently so were my actions. I had committed treason, and I would pay the price to keep my honor.

"Grineer don't have honor, you know that much." The more logical side of me reasoned.

"Then I am no Grineer." came the reply from the traitor in me.

"Ham will die a traitor...." I said in a voice shaking with both anger and fear. 

"No." I corrected myself sternly,  "Ham will die a Tenno."

With that, I smiled and fell into a restful sleep.

THE END OF PART 1

Edited by -Synapse-

Thanks for reading/commenting, I really appreciate it.    :)

I think I'll take a bit of a break before writing up part two. I want to have a more of a plan next time around, rather than just throwing it together on the fly.   

woah... just woah... what a story...!!

I wish'ed we were gonna save him like in one of those rescue missions!

So much role-playing... i wonder "ok, when the movie?" XD

edit: luckly it was just a Nova, imagine if it was a Rhino buahaha XD

Edited by Phoenix86

• 6 months later...