The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

FPS issues in borderless fullscreen mode

warhammercasey

When im in normal fullscreen I can get a steady 60 fps (may be more but its capped at 60), but in borderless windowed I usually get around 40-50 fps. I do expect a slight fps drop of less than 5 fps on borderless since ive heard that the difference between the two performance wise is in borderless, the gpu still runs everything else on the screen behind the game window while fullscreen it just runs the game, but my gpu dosent go above 80% usage and dosent even ramp up its clock speed above 900 mhz and my cpu is around 60% usage, so I dont think that its just too hard on my gpu. Plus I have both integrated graphics and a Nividia gpu and it seems like the integrated graphics runs my second monitor while the Nividia gpu runs the game (confirmation on if thats what happens or if it completely switches to the Nivida gpu would be nice if anyone knows).

One thing I have noticed is in Cetus (havent noticed anywhere else) my gpu does go up to its overclocked speed but stays below 80% usage and one thread on my processor gets up to 90% usage while the rest stay 60-70%.

I have tried this solution.

I have a gtx 960m 4gb, 16 gb ram, and a core i7 6700HQ@2.6 ghz (turbo at 3.3ghz). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Exclusive Fullscreen will always run better then Borderless Windowed. Exclusive Fullscreen takes the screen and solely outputs all the resources to the game with nothing being rendered on that monitor except the game. Also, the only way your second monitor is using the IGPU is if it is connected to the motherboard while your main monitor is connected to the GPU. This is usually not enabled by default in BIOS.

If you are having FPS issues with borderless try closing all programs and have it run with just Warframe in borderless. If it still has FPS drops it may just not be able to get decent FPS in windowed mode.

I’ll try to run it in borderless alone, but if my gpu simply can’t handle it why does it run like it’s not even trying? Like 80% usage and only 800-900mhz.

EDIT: normally I would assume there’s a bottleneck somewhere but I can’t find anything that’s slowing it down

EDIT 2: I’m testing it with a lower resolution second monitor and it’s the same thing. You might be right about it not being able to handle it but I still don’t understand why it seems like my gpu isn’t even trying tho

Edited by warhammercasey