Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Survival Is Not Unreasonable.

Karma_Ghost

In regards to the theoretical outdoor oxygen supply and all the people complaining about it, the idea is not completely unreasonable.

For closed environment.

If we assume "outside" is actually a contained structure [i.e. a giant dome] deactivating life support systems would have the same effect as within a ship. Usable oxygen would gradually be expended through respiration and combustion.

For open environments:

In the case that the planet/planetoid has no atmosphere whatsoever, breathable air would have to be constantly pumped into the environment. Deactivation would result in air escaping into the vacuum of space.

In the case of a planet/planetoid with an atmosphere consisting of something other than breathable air. Heavier than air gasses would displace the breathable air when the system is turned off. If the atmosphere is lighter than air, breathable air would be concentrated at ground level and the usable oxygen would gradually be expended through respiration and combustion.

In the case that the (presumably terraformed) planet/planetoid has inherently breathable air, heavier than air gasses can be pumped into the environment which, again, causes the breathable air to be displaced. Technically this isn't shutting off life support systems. Rather it's just creating a toxic environment.

Edited by Karma_Ghost

well, Lore says those are planet surfaces, so we assume that the Lore is always right, because... it is. 

it's a game, the Lore are the only concrete laws.

just like Lotus will tell us the ship is in lockdown when we're on Phobos, etc. uhhh.... no. 

Edited by taiiat

well, Lore says those are planet surfaces, so we assume that the Lore is always right, because... it is. 

it's a game, the Lore are the only concrete laws.

just like Lotus will tell us the ship is in lockdown when we're on Phobos, etc. uhhh.... no. 

I didn't say it wasn't on the surface. I didn't make any argument against lore. I just provided possible explanations to the effect of life support functions being deactivated in an apparently open environment. 

Edited by Karma_Ghost