Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Possible Bug Research]Need A Favor From Ignis Users

AuroraSonicBoom

So, I think I've stumbled upon a bug connected to the Ignis and certain mods, most probably Shred.

Observations: Playing online games as client with the Shred-modded Ignis will cause the client to experience extreme amounts of lag after some time of play. The lag is network based, as the fps stays constant. The lag prevents the player from switching weapons, opening lockers or moving at all. Although he is able to move and fire his gun, he will not actually change his position and remains there until the lag spike ends. Other players will appear to run in place from the laggy client's PoV, whereas the other players see the affected player doing the same thing. Text chat seems to be unaffected by the lag. When the lag spike ends, the player may continue normal play.

I started experiencing these lag-outs during the survival event. On at least three different survival sessions(different hosts and players) I started lagging out around the 15 minute mark, whereas nobody else had any problems. Today, I started playing a few rounds of defense, and on Xini after about wave 15, the presumed bug reappeared again. The squad confirmed that I was the one lagging, not them. I did a follow up game with the same people, but removed Shred from the Ignis. We went to wave 25 without a single problem.

My hypothesis at the moment is that the puncture mechanic of Shred in combination enemies that have enough health to be penetrated with a certain amount of Ignis projectiles is the cause of this particular bug.

And here's where you can help. Could you guys load up your Ignis' with Shred(or maybe Metal Auger) and try to replicate this bug in a few high level missions? I would have sent this to support already, but I want to make sure it's not a problem on my end.

Edited by AuroraSonicBoom

I started experiencing these lag-outs during the survival event.

found your problem.

lols and jokes aside... could it be your end of things that is getting screwy?

will have to do some testing with shred on my ignis, but i really cant think of a reason why that specific combo would be an issue.

found your problem.

lols and jokes aside... could it be your end of things that is getting screwy?

will have to do some testing with shred on my ignis, but i really cant think of a reason why that specific combo would be an issue.

Well I never had this kind of lag problem in any other situation, and I'm trying to recreate it, but as I mentioned it's not my machine, it could but most probably isn't my connection(I'm only one using the net). I'm gonna play with my Ignis for a while longer an will try to recreate the bug as I play. Thanks for helping.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm bumping this because of the recent Ignis buff and because I've experienced the same bug again twice today. I realized that when this lag phase occurs, my upload shoots up from about 10 or 20kb/s to between a whopping 120 and 160kb/s, most probably causing all of the symptoms I'm seeing on screen, as my connection can only handle 0.4mbit upstream.

I'm gonna try and wireshark the traffic and fraps the moment the lag occurs in the session.

Just curious but are you the host or client?

Have you tried being a host?

It only happens when I'm the client. Hosting isn't possible for me because of my slow uploading bandwidth and another (maybe related) bug that causes WF to upload at 1.5mbits to the client even if I'm only hosting one player. So yeah, I'm trying to get info so this gets fixed.

I've added a screenshot of my traffic monitor for a 6 wave xini run. The first 5 waves I've exclusively used Despair without any kind of lag. On the sixth wave, I started using the Ignis. After I killed a few enemies, I started to experience the familiar lag phase. This image suggests that the client side(me) application is responsible for the lag, as it for some reason starts uploading huge amounts of data my connection simply cannot handle. The upload spikes at about 180kb/s during these lags.

YvBOyxS.gif

Another session:

Video:

Traffic log for this session:

wDgcz7T.gif

8 waves on despair, no problem. Wave 9, Ignis, semi-lag. Wave 10, Ignis even more lag, still not a complete lockup. Wave 11 through 13 I guess the upload shot through the roof causing massive lag for me. Around wave 13-14, my framerate dropped from 30(was frapsing) to 6, then to 3. I wasn't able to click on exit at wave 15, so I became the host. After that, framerate shot back up, lag was totally gone. I decided to keep using the Ignis, which basically cause everyone who connected to me to lag out pretty much instantly. I must've lagged out 5 or 6 clients. I knew I was going to loose and couldn't experiment any further, so before it was too late, I switched back to the Despair, which stopped the clients from disconnecting immediately. They still lagged like hell because my connection isn't fast enough anyway, but they stayed connected until we lost the cryopod. I have the whole session recorded as video.

I can currently replicate the lag on any mission type as long as I'm using the Ignis and I am the client. I've tried using an unmodded Ignis, which leads to the same result.

Update: I had a quite an enlightened experience today. I in an OD Defence mission with two other players, both using Ignis. Up until wave 10 there was no problem at all, but when we approached wave 12 or 13, I started feeling the familiar lag I usually get when playing with my Ignis as client, with my upload shooting through the roof and all. I asked the others, but they said were still fine. At about wave 16 or so, the other client started lagging really badly as well, and by wave 19, my fps gradually slowed down to a crawl. Then the connection to the host was lost and my fps instantly went back to normal, as well as all the lag disappeared(enemies not running on the spot anymore, etc.)