Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Click Click Click-- Please Let Us Fire Semiautomatic Weapons By Holding The Mouse

Barnago

I enjoy Warframe a lot, but not since Diablo has a game put so much stress on my hands and threatened to give me an RSI between the "finger acrobatics" involved in movement and the fact that there are so many "clicky" guns in the game.

What I mean specifically by "clicky" guns are weapons that require you to repeatedly hit mouse 1 in order to fire the weapon (semiautomatic guns). This is primarily a problem with sidearm pistols, but there are some longarm weapons like the Latron or Burston that also require a lot of clicking. The biggest culprits are of course the dual sidearms like the Aklato, Akbolto, Dual Vasto, or any other gun that has a high rate of fire on paper, but requires you to click like crazy to keep firing them at their maximum speed.

My feedback is pretty simple here-- these types of guns are really straining to use and I find myself less likely to use them because of how obnoxious it is to have to click so much.

My proposed solution is also very simple-- Allow an option for semiautomatic weapons to fire automatically at a reduced proportion of their maximum rate of fire by holding the mouse button.

This lets people who really want to spit out every bullet as fast as they can to continue to click their fingers off for maximum performance, while allowing people to use these weapons more casually and painlessly in exchange for a reduction in fire rate. The reduced fire rate makes it completely unambiguous that it is still most effective to manually fire semiautomatic guns, and as such they will retain their unique identity as principally semiautomatic weapons. Semiautomatic weapons become more accessible and friendly without making them any more (or less) powerful, and they still retain their current functionality for folks who have no problem with current implementation.

Edited by Barnago

But that Totally defeats the purpose and function of Semi auto weapons.

I didn't read the OP entirely, but hand cramps/ hand problems are a common problem in older players.

Macros are used to alleviate that pain, of course some use it on their Acrid to spam it even better.. but more power to em.

Indeed, Also, it forces you to be more accurate. If everything were full auto, no matter how slow the fire rate, It would make you waste so much ammo.

I'm sure I don't have to explain that there are many times in this game that you will find yourself dumping into a mass of enemies where you cannot possibly miss a target, and having automatic fire would be nice.

I also think pointing to third party macro solutions is a bit specious. Players shouldn't have to resort to third party solutions if they feel there's a problem with how the game controls.

Edited by Barnago

Yeah at that point they're just automatic weapons

So?

Make it an option. Turn it on/off.

Doesn't hurt you, because those that turn it on can't fire the weapon any faster than you can, because MOST semi-auto weapons can easily be clicked faster than their actual fire rate.

Some people have old, tired fingers and the click click click click causes RSI, not to mention extra strain on hardware (do you have any idea how many mice I wore out with Diablo 2?)

Allowing us to turn an option on to Auto-fire Semi-Auto weapons would not hurt anybody. You want Semi-Auto? You can still individual click each shot if you so wish. Those of us who are older, can hold the mouse button down. Same fire rate.

And yes, using 3rd party software to do the same thing is just lame. I don't want to have to do that just to enjoy a game more.

Edited by Xylia

Yeah at that point they're just automatic weapons

But that Totally defeats the purpose and function of Semi auto weapons.

What exactly is the purpose of a semiautomatic weapon in Warframe? What part of an optional ability to fire these weapons automatically at a reduced ROF, a change that doesn't offer superior performance, would preclude people from continuing to use semiautomatic weapons the way they do now?

So?

Make it an option. Turn it on/off.

Doesn't hurt you, because those that turn it on can't fire the weapon any faster than you can, because MOST semi-auto weapons can easily be clicked faster than their actual fire rate.

Some people have old, tired fingers and the click click click click causes RSI, not to mention extra strain on hardware (do you have any idea how many mice I wore out with Diablo 2?)

Allowing us to turn an option on to Auto-fire Semi-Auto weapons would not hurt anybody. You want Semi-Auto? You can still individual click each shot if you so wish. Those of us who are older, can hold the mouse button down. Same fire rate.

And yes, using 3rd party software to do the same thing is just lame. I don't want to have to do that just to enjoy a game more.

Actually, semi-auto is balancing minus to weapon. Just look at Gremlins vs Akbolto.

Use one yourself, I enjoy clicking. Feels more powerful ingame.

Liking the "feel" of a semiautomatic firing weapon is totally valid and I respect that, and I would never want to take that away from other players.

I feel that the change I have described would not actually prevent you from clicking your guns, or affect players at all who don't want an automatic firing mode.

Edited by Barnago

Actually, semi-auto is balancing minus to weapon. Just look at Gremlins vs Akbolto.

You are not wrong that semi-auto fire can be used as a way to add a drawback to a weapon. My suggested change was that firing a semiautomatic weapon automatically by holding the mouse should only fire the weapon at some smaller proportion of its maximum ROF, say 50% or so.

I think it would be hard to deny that Akboltos firing at 50% their maximum ROF is worse than Akboltos being manually fired at their maximum possible ROF, which would be worse than some imaginary fully-automatic Akbolto firing at that speed. The balance relationship would remain fully intact. I am not advocating for every semiautomatic weapon to now be fire-able automatically at their maximum possible ROF--that would be hugely disruptive.

Edited by Barnago

I'm sure I don't have to explain that there are many times in this game that you will find yourself dumping into a mass of enemies where you cannot possibly miss a target, and having automatic fire would be nice.

Missing a target is different than hitting in a weak spot. Full Auto = Much Less Accurate, its that simple. Accuracy is so extremely important in this game, that i even burst fire high firerate weapons, Only exceptions are the Gorgon and Supra.

You are not wrong that semi-auto fire can be used as a way to add a drawback to a weapon. My suggested change was that firing a semiautomatic weapon automatically by holding the mouse should only fire the weapon at some smaller proportion of its maximum ROF, say 50% or so.

I think it would be hard to deny that Akboltos firing at 50% their maximum ROF is worse than Akboltos being manually fired at their maximum possible ROF, which would be worse than some imaginary fully-automatic Akbolto firing at that speed. The balance relationship would remain fully intact. I am not advocating for every semiautomatic weapon to now be fire-able automatically at their maximum possible ROF--that would be hugely disruptive.

I don't see why you'd have to make them fire less than their max ROF.

If Gun A is Semi Automatic and fires 1.5 shots a second, why does it matter if you fire 1.5 shots a second by click click clicking the mouse, or firing 1.5 shots a second by holding the mouse button down?

Same thing.

Maybe you're worried about accidentally firing 2 shots when you only wanted 1, well... most FULL AUTO guns won't do that (Grakata aside). Braton and its Prime, yeah. Sometimes I get 2 shots when I only wanted 1, but even I can single-fire a Braton if I want. Most Semi-Auto guns are NOT that fast to worry about getting accidental shots, and again if you do, just make it an option you can turn off.

Missing a target is different than hitting in a weak spot. Full Auto = Much Less Accurate, its that simple. Accuracy is so extremely important in this game, that i even burst fire high firerate weapons, Only exceptions are the Gorgon and Supra.

And again, nobody is proposing we take that away from you. It'd be an option to turn on/off and even if you had the option turned on, you can still single-click even if the gun allowed you to hold the mouse button down. I single-fire my Braton quite often in lower-level missions, because with enough mods, it only takes 1 headshot to kill stuff.

If Gun A is Semi Automatic and fires 1.5 shots a second, why does it matter if you fire 1.5 shots a second by click click clicking the mouse, or firing 1.5 shots a second by holding the mouse button down?

Clickity-click requires more skill/less sensitive mouse to keep your aim at rapid-fire — that's how your hands work. There is difference. If you don't see it, try to open your door with your hands first and with chopsticks second.

Clickity-click requires more skill/less sensitive mouse to keep your aim at rapid-fire — that's how your hands work. There is difference. If you don't see it, try to open your door with your hands first and with chopsticks second.

"Skill"?

It takes "Skill" to move your finger rapidly?

lol........

Boy, I swear, some people want to slap the word "Skill" on everything these days. *rolls eyes* I'll tell you what rapid unnecessary clicking DOES cause -- Hardware wear-and-tear (how many people ruined their mice in Diablo 2 days?), and RSI.

"Skill"?

It takes "Skill" to move your finger rapidly?

lol........

Boy, I swear, some people want to slap the word "Skill" on everything these days. *rolls eyes* I'll tell you what rapid unnecessary clicking DOES cause -- Hardware wear-and-tear (how many people ruined their mice in Diablo 2 days?), and RSI.

Well, we should restrict all fighting games since it's only about speed of pressing buttons as well.

We are really arguing a pointless topic...I mean, yes, i know that semi auto is superior, but if they want to have an option for full auto, even on semi auto guns, Why not? It would be useless to me and id never use it, but it wouldnt harm my gameplay any at all. The only thing it would really effect would the the flavor of the gun...It would make much less differences between some of the weapons. But still, not really that big of a deal to me.

We are really arguing a pointless topic...I mean, yes, i know that semi auto is superior, but if they want to have an option for full auto, even on semi auto guns, Why not? It would be useless to me and id never use it, but it wouldnt harm my gameplay any at all. The only thing it would really effect would the the flavor of the gun...It would make much less differences between some of the weapons. But still, not really that big of a deal to me.

Because that would be auto, not semi-auto. Let's also give everybody option of switch on/off infinite mods slot, health damage and energy losses.

Because that would be auto, not semi-auto. Let's also give everybody option of switch on/off infinite mods slot, health damage and energy losses.

Come on. Please make arguments in good faith rather than ridiculous hyperbole.

Choosing to fire a semiautomatic weapon at a reduced ROF in exchange for automatic refire is a tradeoff that results in objectively reduced performance. It's worse DPS than firing in a true semiauto mode.

Construing this as some kind of cheat or hack comparable with godmode is totally absurd. It offers no performance benefit at all other than allowing you to play more casually.

If you have a meaningful argument to make about why semi-automatic weapons optionally firing automatically in and of itself is a bad thing which harms the game, please make that point instead.

Edited by Barnago