Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quest Skip.

INight00

My neighbour initially introduced me to this game... what a ride of updates it has been. While I have been on top of the content they stopped playing a few years back.
When he wanted to get back into the game, to progress further story quests had to be completed.
He discovered that to do one quest you must do another quest... but to do the other quest you need to do this other quest.
The story for him has been somewhat dull purely because you are going around scanning, but then eventually fighting something that overwhelms you making progress slow.
Due to his outdated gear, he has also failed a mission during the quest. Sometimes more than once.
This meant that to do the same mission, he had to sit through all the cut-scenes and dialogue again and again with no way to skip through and get straight to the point.

While some quests are cinematic in nature, the story may not be of interest to some players who are around for game-play.
Can there be a way to skip cut-scenes and box dialogue during the quests?
Perhaps put it as an option "Press '[Key]' twice to skip in quests" in the options menu.
That way it is available, but it wont always be on in-case of accidental skipping.

22 minutes ago, INight00 said:

Can there be a way to skip cut-scenes and box dialogue during the quests?

As an ancient, I generally would generally advise against this.  There's a reason why the stories are told to you in this order; one that involves the immersion in the game. Each part of the story quests show the procession from simple warframe fighting the factions in order to establish order in the system to one involving the operator of the warframe.  For example to do The Sacrifice would be grand, but it would make no sense to skip over Natah, Second Dream and the War Within just to get the prize at the end of the mission.  Particularly when you consider each of those quests also have prizes and gifts that will definitely enrich the overall player experience in the game.  

If your friend is having problems with the mission -- it might not be the outdated potato that he's running, but would most possibly be something else, given that I have watched several streamers plowing through the missions with an unpolarized  and un-Catalyst Starter frame with little to no problem.  

Might I suggest you have your friend come to the forums -- head over to players helping players and explain the situation and anyone one of the vast number of people that have completed those quests -- even on potatoes -- to help him with his dilemmas.

8 minutes ago, MBaldelli said:

There's a reason why the stories are told to you in this order; one that involves the immersion in the game.

un-Catalyst Starter frame with little to no problem.  

even on potatoes

Which is why I suggested an option:

52 minutes ago, INight00 said:

Perhaps put it as an option "Press '[Key]' twice to skip in quests" in the options menu.
That way it is available, but it wont always be on in-case of accidental skipping.

There is no problem with the story, I'm not suggesting skipping the story and the quest entirely, just the dialogue that has already been viewed.
Or dialogue that isn't entirely main-line story relevant like Sayas Vigil.

In this case, it was using the operator to fight Excalibur Umbra without having attained the first Mote Amp from Quill Onkko and large chunks of the quests relating to you going around with a scanner. It was a bit of a bore then a sudden transition into being overwhelmed.
Keep in mind, the streamers you watched are 'skilled' in the game and know what they are doing.
My neighbour has been off for a few years and so all the new mechanics relating to the operator was new and unfamiliar. Even Parkour 2.0.
Naturally I did help him, but in solo-quests there is only so much you can do. A person would suggest play the game more and familiarise yourself... but he did the quests back to back in order to catch up. It was an exhausting ordeal considering I took over the controls to help him.

His PC is fine, no performance issues.

4 hours ago, INight00 said:

Or dialogue that isn't entirely main-line story relevant like Sayas Vigil.

Warframe quests are supplemental.  I might get behind the idea about skipping the quest in order to clear it, but all of them usually end up giving something to build the warframe featurd in the quest  instead.  It might be good to skip the supplemental/warframe quests,  but even going through the options menu to skip it and while this might seem like a plausible idea -- I've experienced in the forums the facepalm reactions of, "I shouldn't have thrown that warframe blueprint as quick as I did."  And the last thing DE wants to generate is more help desk tickets requesting to undo that bad player decision. 

5 hours ago, INight00 said:

Keep in mind, the streamers you watched are 'skilled' in the game and know what they are doing.

That might be true of the bigger streamers...  As a general rule I tend to watch smaller streamers new players to the game attempting to stream, and with the exclusion of one -- most of them usually struggle as we all did when we first started the game.  Some of them hysterically bad.  

5 hours ago, INight00 said:

My neighbour has been off for a few years and so all the new mechanics relating to the operator was new and unfamiliar. Even Parkour 2.0.

Oh, he's as old if not older than I am in the game.  There are also a ton of old veterans around here lurking in Players helping Players that would more than happily get him caught up to speed.  Including the ease of using Parkour 2.0 to the familiarity to Parkour 1.0.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it...  I believe it's possible to suspend the quests in question, but skipping might end up a bad idea if the person suddenly has a change of heart.   

I do agree the old bp selling thing is harsh... (those ether daggers haunted me for quite a while), but I account that to being a rookie mistake, as that was when I started.
The quest - I don't think said a thing about said daggers.

The change of heart... While the reward may not be re-obtainable, the quests are replayable.

I'm only suggesting the option to skip already viewed dialogue. When he did the Sayas Vigil quest, he spoke to Konzu, then Saya, got into the plains, but had to abort as his Wyrms Crowd Dispersion launched the Grineer across the map making them near impossible to find in order to progress. Upon trying again he found he has to speak to Konzu and Saya again.
I found the same thing happens with Fortuna quests.
But if it has to be implemented for the player base who doesn't care about story and only gameplay, let the skip option skip all even when dialogue has not been viewed.

As it is, I am helping get up to speed, mini-tutorials, steady progression etc.
The reason I posted this topic is because they asked me to, I doubt he would go on the forums.

Edited by INight00