Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Motion controls with unattached Joy-Cons glitchy/unresponsive.

(NSW)DreamsmithJane

When in handheld mode, motion controls work as expected, but when in tabletop mode or docked with unattached Joy-Cons, motion controls demonstrate some odd behavior. In the latter case, horizontal movement has extremely low or zero sensitivity (barely moving or not moving at all, even with the sensitivity setting turned all the way up), and the camera occasionally seems to wander even when the controller is not moving (or in the opposite direction from the controller movement). Problems are severe enough that it becomes necessary to disable motion controls entirely for the game to be playable, and playing without them is not ideal.

This happens both when the Joy-Cons are separate, and when they are placed in the grip. I don't have a Pro Controller to test whether the behavior is the same when using that. So far, playing in handheld mode is the only remedy I've found.

Update: As it turns out, removing the Joy-Cons for docked play changes the controller axis used for horizontal aiming, apparently under the assumption that the controller will be held level rather than facing the player. Since I hold the controllers in the same orientation for both handheld and docked/tabletop modes, I found this very confusing. However, as I now understand the intention, I find that the controls are working as designed, and can't rightly call this a bug. It's literally a case of "you're holding it wrong". But perhaps, as both control types exist, an option for the player to select which one they prefer would be desirable.

Edited by (NSW)DreamsmithJane

11 hours ago, (NSW)Evident said:

the game wants you to turn the controller like a steering wheel.

That's why it's been misbehaving? It interprets inputs differently depending on whether the Joy-Cons are attached to the console or not? That's so bizarre. I tried it out, and you're right. The controls work perfectly under that assumption. So I have to revise my complaint: motion controls unintuitively use a different controller axis for horizontal camera movement, depending on whether the user is playing in handheld mode or using an unattached controller. I assume that a Pro Controller behaves roughly the same as a loose Joy-Con. Not necessarily a bug, then, but really questionable behavior nonetheless.

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

When using gyro controls with detached Joy Cons or Pro Controllers.

-the game only uses 2-axis input instead of 3-axis (for reference examples Breath of the Wild or Odyssey use 3-axis gyro). The result is you have to point the Joy Con or Pro Controller directly at the screen to use gyro control effectively. The natural orientation of the controller in-the-hand is at a 45 degree angle, not parallel with the ground.

- There is a lot of drift when using the gyro controls, meaning the reticle will not come back to it's original orientation in-game when your controller returns to it's original position in real life. Additionally, when halting movement of the controller in real life, the reticle will make seemingly random additional adjustments to your aim (throwing your aim off)..

The gyro controls are needed to make aiming bearable. However, they are a real pain to use right now. To use the Joy Con or Pro Controller gyro controls effectively, I have to hold my forearms up and steady, pointed directly at the screen. To make up for the drift, I have to frequently make huge adjustments to the reticle orientation using the the analog sticks.

DE, would you please look at the gyro controls, fix the drift and enable 3-axis in docked and tabletop mode?

Edited by (NSW)Nahaha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...