Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No Weapon Affinity On Ability Kills?

StuffedTurkey007

According to the wiki you do not get weapon affinity when you kill an enemy with a warframe ability, or your sentinel kills it. However, when someone else's sentinel gets a kill, or they get a kill with a power (or any kill) you gain weapon affinity.

...Why? I assume it's a bug, something the devs overlooked. I'm hoping it gets fixed soon since I don't like having to unequip dethcube and stop using powers when I want to level a weapon.

When you kill something, the weap/ability you used to kill it will gain 100% of that exp. When your teammate kills something, you gain 25% exp for all your equips

Something like that, but when you kill an enemy with a weapon, you get 50% exp to your weapon and 50% to your Warframe.

If you use an ability, you get zero weapon affinity.

Experience Mechanics - WARFRAME Wiki

Everything is explained here.

i can confirm it works.

This is a good page on the wiki. The only thing I'd add to think about is that I leveled a lot of melee weapons with Loki + invisibility and it seems to give the frame an extra large cut of XP for using skills that buff damage. I would finish a mission like Lua or Eurasia having done almost all melee kills but I'd have a much larger frame bonus than XP bonus, despite only using invisibility. Also seemed to do the same thing when I did Rhino using Roar for a few games.

I have no proof or vids or anything, just an observation over time. Could be wrong.

This is a good page on the wiki. The only thing I'd add to think about is that I leveled a lot of melee weapons with Loki + invisibility and it seems to give the frame an extra large cut of XP for using skills that buff damage. I would finish a mission like Lua or Eurasia having done almost all melee kills but I'd have a much larger frame bonus than XP bonus, despite only using invisibility. Also seemed to do the same thing when I did Rhino using Roar for a few games.

I have no proof or vids or anything, just an observation over time. Could be wrong.

ill try to make example why it is like that, but im horrible at making clear examples so...here it goes.

Assumption:

XXX enemy Gives 1000 Affinity (Aff).

Team is in close range, passive exp gets shared.

You kill enemy with melee weapon.

Your melee gets 500 aff.

Your suit gets 500 aff.

Your team members get:

Frame 250 aff.

Primary 250 aff.

Secondary 250 aff.

Melee 250 aff.

Now, on defense/mdefense missions, if you play frame that has no NUKE ability (like nova/saryn for example)

They  do most of kills with their ultis, while Youre milking that passive exp.

Nova in your team just killed 10 enemies.

She gets 10000 frame aff.

You get 2500 melee/2500 secondary/2500primary/2500 frame aff.

+ You killed 2 with melee weapon, which gives your melee 1000 aff. /suit 1000 aff..

*Numbers are just numbers, to make it clearer*

ill try to make example why it is like that, but im horrible at making clear examples so...here it goes.

Assumption:

XXX enemy Gives 1000 Affinity (Aff).

Team is in close range, passive exp gets shared.

You kill enemy with melee weapon.

Your melee gets 500 aff.

Your suit gets 500 aff.

Your team members get:

Frame 250 aff.

Primary 250 aff.

Secondary 250 aff.

Melee 250 aff.

Now, on defense/mdefense missions, if you play frame that has no NUKE ability (like nova/saryn for example)

They  do most of kills with their ultis, while Youre milking that passive exp.

Nova in your team just killed 10 enemies.

She gets 10000 frame aff.

You get 2500 melee/2500 secondary/2500primary/2500 frame aff.

+ You killed 2 with melee weapon, which gives your melee 1000 aff. /suit 1000 aff..

*Numbers are just numbers, to make it clearer*

Right but if you're getting all melee kills that should still leave you dead even between frame and melee weapon. Both sources of affinity split evenly.

Try it once. Go Loki and only do melee kills while using invisibility often. It comes out higher on the frame than the melee weapon by a very noticeable margin. Or at least that's how it seemed to come out for me when I was farming rank on Loki. Again, I might just be wrong. I never did it as an actual structured test. It's just something I noticed over time.

Right but if you're getting all melee kills that should still leave you dead even between frame and melee weapon. Both sources of affinity split evenly.

Try it once. Go Loki and only do melee kills while using invisibility often. It comes out higher on the frame than the melee weapon by a very noticeable margin. Or at least that's how it seemed to come out for me when I was farming rank on Loki. Again, I might just be wrong. I never did it as an actual structured test. It's just something I noticed over time.

im getting loki next, ill try it:) 

may be im wrong, may be we r both wrong. but more or less, its better to stick as group;D

Doesn't using abilities give xp too? So using Invis would give you xp for the frame then killing with melee would give frame and weap xp.

Personally, I dislike the current affinity system very much. I think they should change it towards the shared XP system all the time, even for your own kills, but with extra XP towards the piece that made the kill.

That way I could finally play a nuke frame again when I want to level stuff. I only use Nyx or Loki in survival/defense/mobile defense so I can actually level my stuff - although sometimes I'd rather play an offensive frame, too, but then I won't be getting much XP anymore.

Edited by Wojek

Personally, I dislike the current affinity system very much. I think they should change it towards the shared XP system all the time, even for your own kills, but with extra XP towards the piece that made the kill.

That way I could finally play a nuke frame again when I want to level stuff. I only use Nyx or Loki in survival/defense/mobile defense so I can actually level my stuff - although sometimes I'd rather play an offensive frame, too, but then I won't be getting much XP anymore.

Well, at least this is SOMETHING to pay for using "Press 4 to win"-tier frames.

This i true, but getting 100 affinity for killing 2000 affinity worth of enemies if you had killed them with your gun is rather discouraging.

From the Wiki - 

• Suppose a player kills an enemy that grants 300 experience with a Warframe ability. He will gain 300 Warframe experience.
  • Suppose a player kills an enemy that grants 200 experience with his Rifle. He will gain 100 Rifle experience and 100 Warframe experience.

When someone else gets ANY kill, it is divied out among all of your equipment. It is not a glitch, just a perk of playing with other players.

Perk?

You mean its an incentive to not kill anything yourself, and let everybody else do all the work, as if we didn't have enough lazy players.

I kill something: 1/2 XP to my Warframe, 1/2XP to my weapon.

Someone else kills something: 1/4xp to my Warframe, 1/4xp to Primary, 1/4xp to Secondary, 1/4xp to Melee

So, I'd be better off to let other people kill everything, as long as I don't have any Lv30s equipped on me.

Edited by Xylia

It straight out discourages using damaging warframe skills if you are trying to level equipment though. Like if i'm on Nova for infested defense and there are a ton of enemies around that I could just blow up with 4, i'm not going to unless we are in danger of losing, even if enemies are starting to pile up. When you play with other players who are aware of how affinity works, it becomes a competition to try and get other people to use their warframe skills instead.

It encourages leeching - While I could contribute with my leveled weapons or abilities if i'm trying to level up a level 1, non-potatoed weapon, i'm going to just keep shooting level 40 enemies with a useless weapon because thats how the system is designed.

Edited by Servanin

From the Wiki - 

• Suppose a player kills an enemy that grants 300 experience with a Warframe ability. He will gain 300 Warframe experience.
  • Suppose a player kills an enemy that grants 200 experience with his Rifle. He will gain 100 Rifle experience and 100 Warframe experience.

Thank you, either the wiki was wrong when I read that page a month ago or they patched a change to exp mechanics.

It straight out discourages using damaging warframe skills if you are trying to level equipment though. Like if i'm on Nova for infested defense and there are a ton of enemies around that I could just blow up with 4, i'm not going to unless we are in danger of losing, even if enemies are starting to pile up. When you play with other players who are aware of how affinity works, it becomes a competition to try and get other people to use their warframe skills instead.

It encourages leeching - While I could contribute with my leveled weapons or abilities if i'm trying to level up a level 1, non-potatoed weapon, i'm going to just keep shooting level 40 enemies with a useless weapon because thats how the system is designed.

Pretty much this. Though, i dont think its as bad as you make it out to be. Well unless the mentioned people are total douchebags. I regularly run Kappa and Kiste for affinity with my Nova, and as a rule of thumb, i only Prime enemies when the station/artifact starts taking health damage.

It aslo encourages leveling multiple items with a differing amount of levels. One you use to kill stuff for more xp, and the others to leech affinity from teammates powers. When everything works out it can be both fun (less Nova explosions, more action) and profitable (everyone getting high affinity for their desired gun, while still getting the shared party xp).

Pretty much this. Though, i dont think its as bad as you make it out to be. Well unless the mentioned people are total douchebags. I regularly run Kappa and Kiste for affinity with my Nova, and as a rule of thumb, i only Prime enemies when the station/artifact starts taking health damage.

It aslo encourages leveling multiple items with a differing amount of levels. One you use to kill stuff for more xp, and the others to leech affinity from teammates powers. When everything works out it can be both fun (less Nova explosions, more action) and profitable (everyone getting high affinity for their desired gun, while still getting the shared party xp).

Actually, it is better to the other 3 players if you DO prime and kill everything yourself.

They get more/easier XP in the end run, because they get XP for all 4 pieces of their gear, not just two.

But sadly most people don't UNDERSTAND this, and they'll whine at you when you Prime everything to death.

Edited by Xylia