Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Does Warframe Perform On A Lan?

MueR

My girlfriend and I both play Warframe. I've already switched to different ports to avoid the annoying strict NAT issues (though they still pop up), and we're having real difficulties joining sessions. I can join her session just fine, but her joining my session requires up to thirty invites. Annoying, but ok..

Come october, I will be on a LAN party with a few friends who also play Warframe. I was wondering if I should be expecting a true nightmare to get everyone to play. I mean, would we be able to play at all? Does Warframe seek the shortest route to the host (local network) or does everyone play via a remote server? We're about 30 people there and I expect at least half to already play or want to play. Would this be at all doable? And yes, we do have an internet connection, but it's not a huge broadband connection..

Edited by MueR

You could try setting the ping filter in the game settings screen to something like 50ms.  That's about the absolute fastest connection speed you'll get on anything less than broadband.  You gotta remember that you're not just direct connecting from host to joiners.  You have to connect via DE's server as well.

Most LANs have sub 10ms ping, but ping filter is irrelevant for private/invite game sessions.

I believe Warframe only uses DE's servers for matchmaking and stat tracking, but it probably tries to connect the client/host via WAN IPs, which would almost certainly try to reach beyond the LAN even if a LAN connection was the path of least resistance.

Honestly not sure how the game would react in a LAN party setting.

I'm not worried about the ping between us. We've got a lovely gigabit network setup that performs very well. The main worries are our outgoing connection (8/1 mbit) and the UPnP. I'm reluctant to allow UPnP and even slightly unsure if it will work, since I route all internet traffic through a proxy before it goes to the routers. The proxy (a pfSense machine for those interested) is there to ensure we don't blow up the internet connection. I filter out streaming video, usenet, torrents and other data-hogging protocols and sources. 

Since Warframe seems to have UDP ports hardcoded, I'm wondering how this will affect performance and connectivity.