Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dojo Sculpting Contest - Putting Down Roots

Xforce

Hi everyone! I'd like to announce a privately funded competition for anyone who has access to a pile of resources, and likes decorating like a madman. May I introduce...

Putting Down Roots – A Dojo Sculpting Challenge

An open challenge from Ikeaframe Central

Platform: PC only

Contest Runtime:

Feb 16th to the end of March 4th 

·         Winners will be announced on March 8th

Prizes:

Bragging rights, a short video review of the winners’ creations* and…

1st Place: 1000 platinum

2nd Place: 500 platinum

3rd Place: 250 platinum

2 runners-up: Forma Bundles

*The video review may not be ready on the same day as the winners are announced

The Details:

Hi, I’m Xforce, admin of a discord server called Ikeaframe Central, and I’d like to challenge you and your communities to try a little sculpting challenge. At this point, I’ve seen some truly wonderful sculpts that have incorporated plants into all manner of cool and quirky sculpts, often as hair, tentacles, manes and all sorts of other weird and wonderful things. Plants themselves, while ubiquitous, are frequently used as ornamentation, backdrop or composite chimeras that blossom into world trees or gnarly roots in what are honestly some truly ambitious gardening projects. Rarely, though – do I see animate, ambling, hungry plants that thrum with a sinister pulse of life.

With spring creeping over the horizon soon, I’d like to challenge all of you to germinate some truly unholy monstrosities and hit me with your best plant monsters. I want to see your best, most creative, most monstrous masses of vines. Your hundred eyed trees with roots pulling up brimstone from the depths of hell. Your most absurdly broken Piranha Plants smashing apart the thin tin cans you call dojos…

I’ve got the plat if you’ve got the goods. Hit me up… I’ll be waiting 😃

Sample Entries:

The Green Seraph, by Inahorange

YGAUqxe.png

The Weeping Machine, by Xforce

HmK4CWP.png

Rules and errata:

Part Count limited to 300 pieces

Backdrops and dioramas will not count toward the submitted piece unless they are directly connected to your creation

Creations must be fully funded by the cut-off date

Entries must adhere to the theme of the contest. Submissions that ignore or skirt the premise of the contest may be disqualified. (As an example, dragons with plant hair, or creations that are explicitly not plant creatures, but have some leafy adornments.)

Stone and mechanical components are fine, as long as they are supporting the theme of something that is both monstrous and a plant.

Submission Rules:

Entries can be submitted in this thread, or through Discord

• Here's the Discord link https://discord.gg/5GwrnNt - please follow the instructions on the landing page to get access to the server. I apologize for the speed-bump, but as an art focused discord, it helps to make sure that new entrants are able to read the rules.
  •  Entries can be submitted to #PuttingDownRoots, under the Sculptors and Designers section of the Discord server.

Entries must include the user’s in-game Warframe name, clan, clan tier, username and clan role. Please be aware that this contest is currently PC only, as I do not currently have a prize pool for console players. My apologies.

Multiple entries from the same clan are not allowed, and other decorators from clan AsurO (whose dojo I live in, like a goblin) are not eligible to win prizes, due to an obvious conflict of interest.

Up to 4 pictures and a gif or a short video can be included. (Imgur albums preferred)

Optional: A short paragraph describing your creation, your vision for the piece, the styles you implemented and your thoughts on what went into the sculpt.

Judging:

·         Judging will be done through joint decision from a panel of 3 judges consisting of myself and two other members of the Warframe community

·         We will be judging based on creativity, technical skill, use of colour and adherence to the theme

·         All entries will get a score out of 10, and entries that score a ranking higher than 7/10 will get a more detailed review with feedback from the judging panel. The amount of feedback, will, of course, depend on the number of entries.

Edited by Xforce
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While we were initially going to go ahead with judging, all of the entrants asked that other prospective participants be given more time ready their entries, as only a handful of projects had been submitted. The new deadline for the dojo sculpting contest will be the 31st of March, roughly three weeks from today. The rules for the contest are listed above, and if we see sufficient participation, I'll do what I can do expand the prize pool.

To compensate players who submitted entries during the original timeframe, I'm allowing them to use the extra time to ask for feedback and update and resubmit their designs once, if they see fit to do so. While I believe that all of them look wonderful as is, playing with the polychrome and fiddling with the orientation of your pieces is an addiction many people can find hard to kick.

As of this time, we have three lovely plant monsters awaiting judging, all submitted through our Discord link, which I'll link below again.

https://discord.gg/5GwrnNt - Ikeaframe Central

Best of luck to all the prospective participants, and have fun sculpting!