The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Game Constantly Crashing [SOLVED]

VisualRhythm

For the past week, for some reason that I cannot identify has been causing the game to crash after playing anytime from 3-15 minutes. This happens most often and quickly while in the Plains of Eidolon, but has occurred outside of it. So first the game suddenly freezes for 3-5 seconds, then hard crashes. I've tried EVERYTHING, researched everywhere in and outside of the forums for any potential solutions and nothing works. List of things I've tried to fix the issue:

1. Verify/optimize game multiple times

2. Swap between DX10/11/9

3. Lowest graphics settings

4. Disabling CPU overclock

5. Uninstalling all software I had which was known to cause issues with the game. in my case: MSI OSD, Razer Synapse, and Riva Tuner

6. Reinstall game from steam version to launcher version

7. Clean wipe off GPU driver with DDU and fresh install of latest driver

8. Swapping between Fullscreen, Windowed, and Borderless.

9. Increasing Page File and moving to an alternate HDD

10. Probably other things I can't think off the top of my head.

With all of these actions eventually the issue still persists and is making the game borderline unplayable for me since I lose all progress I make in the mission once it crashes. The game was working fine until the start of this week as I never had the issue ever before but now it's extremely consistent, and I've no idea what could've caused it, be on my end or if it's an issue with the game itself. If anyone has/had ANY similar issues or may have any insight on what the cause may be, please contribute to this post so we can eventually come up with a solution to the issue here. Thank you in advance

Specs:

Cpu - Ryzen 7 1700

GPU - GTX 1080

RAM - 2X 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 Mhz

Game installed on 1 TB SSD with about 400 GB remaining

MB: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming.

OS - Windows 10 64 bit

Edited by VisualRhythm

OK, so I've had such crashes before, especially in PoE, as I described here (and the link in that post too). ☺️

Now, I seem to have fixed it. OK, mine is a special case, because I'm a Linux/Wine/DXVK user, so it may not be applicable to Windows. Still, it seems I got a solution after reading this.

Looks like the crashes I had were due to some obscure bugs in audio libraries (specifically, the XAudio2 implementation). After replacing the libraries with FAudio (which should be included in Wine soon), I didn't have any more crashes, and I ran several multiplayer bounties in PoE.

PS: I did it at the same time 32-bit/DX9 support was dropped, so I don't know if that contributed too.

12 hours ago, ArgusXen said:

OK, so I've had such crashes before, especially in PoE, as I described here (and the link in that post too). ☺️

Now, I seem to have fixed it. OK, mine is a special case, because I'm a Linux/Wine/DXVK user, so it may not be applicable to Windows. Still, it seems I got a solution after reading this.

Looks like the crashes I had were due to some obscure bugs in audio libraries (specifically, the XAudio2 implementation). After replacing the libraries with FAudio (which should be included in Wine soon), I didn't have any more crashes, and I ran several multiplayer bounties in PoE.

PS: I did it at the same time 32-bit/DX9 support was dropped, so I don't know if that contributed too.

I looked around and all the technical stuff was confusing to me for the most part, but from what I could gather, I assume this is a solution to an issue exclusive to the mentioned Operating Systems and can't be replicated on Windows. If I'm wrong, I'd love an explanation or even another alternative solution.

23 hours ago, VisualRhythm said:

I looked around and all the technical stuff was confusing to me for the most part, but from what I could gather, I assume this is a solution to an issue exclusive to the mentioned Operating Systems and can't be replicated on Windows. If I'm wrong, I'd love an explanation or even another alternative solution.

Actually, I finally found my own fix. Surprisingly it seemed to be me enabling XMP in my BIOS to run my RAM at it's advertised 3200Mhz speed was causing my issue. I turned it off and set my BIOS to default settings and boom. Game been running as it once was. I've done 2 nights worth of Eidolon hunts and not a single crash since. Only downside is my RAM being at 2133Mhz but it's not too difficult to check it back on if a certain game needs it. Hopefully others with similar issues might find this a fix for them.