Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Discussion

YesIAmGod

The reason we don't have any good crit chance builds that are more effective then elements is because anything with a relative high and above 50% average of critting when properly modded is acused of being Overpowered.

It may be strong, but really, why complain when there is Acrid, Ogris, and Flux?

The reason we don't have any good crit chance builds that are more effective then elements is because anything with a relative high and above 50% average of critting when properly modded is acused of being Overpowered.

It may be strong, but really, why complain when there is Acrid, Ogris, and Flux?

Pretty much this. Crit on weapons has been universally bad until Soma and Strun Wraith. And to an extremely lesser extent Grakata.

I have max element mods for all weapons. Until I used the Soma and Wraith I had 0 max crit/damage mods for any weapon type. I didn't even have any that I had put points into.

Makes me sad that they made this gun instead of buffing the crap out of the grakata. It's a strict upgrage. Otherwise it's a really fun weapon to use. I can go up to about lvl 80-90 enemies before having problems. I just hope you guys stocked up on rifle ammo boxes. 

Soma is T2 Grakata.

like the Hind is T2 Burston.

DE talked about high tire weapons, and its logical that as you advance you get better weapons.

people should stop complaining.

dose the fact a better weapon was released made your favorite weapon preform worse? nope.

Its just like I have a Boltor that I formad 4 times, and a Flux i'm gonna forma 5 times, the Flux will be stronger, but it dosent make my Boltor preform worse then how it did when I used it. 

Edited by EagleRise

I kind of want to see the next weapon have a 40% crit chance and 1000% base crit damage, so that modded it'll have a 100% crit chance and 2800% crit damage. It would have a base damage of 2, so that it would effectively just do 56 damage per shot.

a side grade for the Grakata then lol.

Soma is T2 Grakata.

like the Hind is T2 Burston.

DE talked about high tire weapons, and its logical that as you advance you get better weapons.

people should stop complaining.

dose the fact a better weapon was released made your favorite weapon preform worse? nope.

Its just like I have a Boltor that I formad 4 times, and a Flux i'm gonna forma 5 times, the Flux will be stronger, but it dosent make my Boltor preform worse then how it did when I used it. 

Why would I use something when something else is just as easy to get and strictly better. If I give you two options for internet and one is 50% faster and more consistent. Would you use the slower one because it still performs the same as it used to? If so...you're kinda dumb. 

Why would I use something when something else is just as easy to get and strictly better. If I give you two options for internet and one is 50% faster and more consistent. Would you use the slower one because it still performs the same as it used to? If so...you're kinda dumb. 

Bad comparison. Internet doesn't give you Mastery.

Also... based on your example. Why use anything else beside Acrid?

Burston needs 1 Morphics, Hind need 6 Neurodes.

Grakata needs 2 Neurodes, Soma meeds 7 Morphics and 8000 Salvage.

"as easy to get"

Edited by EagleRise

He is not dumb in this scenario.

Digital Extremes said "We want tiered weapons", and they do it with straight upgrades to existing weapons.

Hind > Burston

Furax > Ankyros *Misspelled I'm sure*

Gram > Scindo

Reaper Prime > Hate

Soma > Grakata

Your responder is not the one lacking intelligence, he is just sharing information that was already told.

Bad comparison. Internet doesn't give you Mastery.

Also... based on your example. Why use anything else beside Acrid?

Requires 7 mastery. Pistol mods. Otherwise you're right. 

Soma/Grakata are available from the start. 

Digital Extremes said "We want tiered weapons", and they do it with straight upgrades to existing weapons.

Hind > Burston

Gram > Scindo

Reaper Prime > Hate

Soma > Grakata

Your responder is not the one lacking intelligence, he is just sharing information that was already told.

The problem is the availability. If it was harder to go up weapon tiers I'd completely agree. 

Edited by Kolos1001

Hind > Burston

Gram > Scindo

Reaper Prime > Hate

Soma > Grakata

Gram isn't better than Scindo. At best it's a side grade. Besides that Gram is boring. Sold mine a long time ago.

Gram isn't better than Scindo. At best it's a side grade. Besides that Gram is boring. Sold mine a long time ago.

Scindo is the same. So I don't see your logic about gram being boring, or how it even relates to balance.

The only thing Scindo beats gram out is knockdown attack. But otherwise Gram does outperform it.

how is soma for boosting antimatter drop? does antimatter drop count crit damage or only the base/mod damage? 

Let me put it to you this way: Firing my Soma into my AMD for about a second produces between 15-20k damage. At level 20. So, it's pretty good. (I think it's a second..... about 1/3-1/2 a clip)

And the Soma is VERY good, but it's not really OP, especially since Piercing Shot got knocked down to only 10%/rank.

The bullet economy on the Soma is actually pretty bad compared to a lot of guns, and I feel kind of sorry for anyone who doesn't have the Ammo Mutation mods (Which basically completely negate any ammo problems ever for anything period lol... unless you miss a lot or are fighting bullet sponges)

The wind up time on it, though slight, is enough to make it less reactive than many other guns, such as a braton. The beefier frames won't really care, but this can literally kill squishier frames like Nova in upper levels.

It starts out stupid weak. Like, you might as well be firing spitwads, it's that bad. So, it's kind of obnoxious to level at first.

And finally.... It doesn't like armor. Like, at all. With my x6 crit multiplier and a bit over 19 base damage (Not counting multishot), I will crit a level 60 grineer for TEN on a bodyshot. Fortunately, the thing is so freaking accurate you can almost snipe with it, but people who like to just spray and pray aren't going to get the best of use out of this gun (DISCLAIMER: I don't use an elemental build on this gun. I find it silly, aside from Piercing Hit, which I do use). And even when it's fully modded and leveled, it's still better to swap out to the heavier-hitting guns (I use Dual Vastos) when fighting those big mobs like Ancients and Bombards, unless you enjoy running out of ammo.

Oh and also compulsive reloaders will be sad: It has a 3 second reload time, which is just long enough to be problematic in a firefight.

These things said: The gun still rocks. It takes the best of the Braton and the Gorgon and puts them into one awesome package of murder.

Edited by Slifar

Let me put it to you this way: Firing my Soma into my AMD for about a second produces between 15-20k damage. At level 20. So, it's pretty good. (I think it's a second..... about 1/3-1/2 a clip)

what about compared to flux rifle?

what about compared to flux rifle?

Eeeeh.... I am INCLINED to say it might actually be better for that too, since it doesn't have to deal with armor.

Consider a 100% serration, a 6x crit, and about a 90% crit rate for the Soma. Actually, lets just say it crits all the time for the rough math. It will basically will NOT crit as much as the Flux Laser DOES, roughly.

The Flux Laser will do 400 a second with that 100% serration, and will crit 10% of the time, for a 400% damage tick. It ticks roughly 11 times for second, so you can expect, on average, one crit tick per second (NOTE: I could be forgetting how flux rifles work, as my mind is REALLY wonky right now due to various circumstances, but this calculation should still hold in the long run) This will make one tick that is normally approximately 40 damage deal 160 damage, raising your average DPS to about 520.

The soma will have a base damage of 20, but will crit roughly 90% of the time, for 120 damage. The Soma fires about 15 shots a second, so we're talking around.... 1800 DPS. About 1.5 shots will NOT be crits, which reduces our damage by about 150 on average DPS wise (100 for each non-crit shot), so you're looking at about 1650 DPS on average with these rough numbers, with only these three mods. So yeah.

And actually, even if you don't have Serration, you still crit for 60 damage, which gives you.... about 825 DPS.

Since the Drop is based on RAW damage and isn't reduced AT ALL, you should use a Soma for it if that's your only concern for some reason

Actually, truth be told, the crit rate makes the Soma better than the Flux in EVERY WAY except reloading and ammo economy.... Or it would, if the Flux Rifle wasn't Serrated Blade damage and ignored armor lol. (But the Soma is super duper accurate and hits weakspots really easily, so do keep that in mind as well!)

Edited by Slifar

Actually, truth be told, the crit rate makes the Soma better than the Flux in EVERY WAY except reloading and ammo economy.... Or it would, if the Flux Rifle wasn't Serrated Blade damage and ignored armor lol. (But the Soma is super duper accurate and hits weakspots really easily, so do keep that in mind as well!)

That's really the flux rifle's claim to fame though.  It doesn't stand out in terms of raw DPS, but it holds up well as enemy armor increases.  If you're just crunching damage numbers on a calculator, then of course the Soma will look better.