Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Think The Soma Is The Perfect Tenno Rifle

Darayas

It's not just the fact that it's one of, if not the, best hitscan weapons on the market right now - I feel the design philosophy of the Soma fits the Tenno way of combat like a glove.

This goes beyond the aesthetics of the rifle, it's also about its mechanics. Each bullet does relatively little base damage by itself; where it really shines is the absolutely immense crit rate and damage. Presumably, the bullet is designed to tear into weak points and exploit gaps in enemy armour. Sure, the Soma has a large magazine, but the way it does damage is not like a hammer - it is a precise scalpel-blade.

That to me is exactly what the Tenno method of war is all about: striking the enemy hard and fast, relentlessly harrowing them in their places of safety. Tenno in-game wage war not by crippling Grineer warships with huge fleets and a wave of firepower, but by quick infiltration and exfiltration into said warships, taking the fastest routes to the objective and then out again. 

Imagine each Tenno Cell is a bullet. Imagine the millions of Tenno awakening and forming Cells across the galaxy. Imagine those millions of Cells dispersing to the occupied territories of the Grineer and Corpus, seeking weak spots, exploiting them to deceive, sabotage, rescue and assassinate. That's the Soma for you.

So please: don't nerf the Soma's crit rate or crit damage. Keep it as a powerful reminder of how the Tenno fight. 

Edited by Darayas

So please: don't nerf the Soma's crit rate or crit damage. Keep it as a powerful reminder of how the Tenno fight. 

yes, and then make it a mastery 8 or 9 weapon bc it's more powerful than pretty much everything else in the game (im not rank 9 so i'm not saying this for myself).

Yeah, and in case of emergency, like Fomorian planetary siege event, pinpoint attacks escalate into shredding barrage that doesn't stop til it's all over. And to extend analogy - every tenno, like a shell in Soma's clip, starts in a lower half - the event, gets it's shot and then comes out on top - the forums, telling captivating story of whether he was amongst lucky 87.5% of successful tenno or not. In latter case story may not be all that captivating...