The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Gpu Not Being Utilised Fully - Doesn't Appear To Be Cpu Bottleneck. Is It Warframe?

Zakalwe

Ok, so:

i5 2500k@4.5ghz

Zotac 670 Amp Edition

8gigs Corsair Vengeance

z68x-ud5-b3 with latest bios

SSD 

OCZ Zs Series 750w PSU

Windows 7 64

Latest drivers.
Clean windows install.

-

Multi threading increased performance quite a bit for me in general. Whereas before I'd drop all over the place, now most of the game is stable.

If I solo, I get almost constant 60fps anywhere.

If I group up, FPS dips when more than a few enemies are on screen.

Checking my GPU usage, the game only utilises it around 40-50%. This is usually caused by CPU and other bottlenecks, but when I run games such as The Witcher 2 and BF3 on high/max the GPU is utilised at 99% constantly and my FPS is locked at 60.

So I know my system can make the most of itself, that my CPU is more than capable of letting my GPU run riot.

Any ideas? Does this look like an issue with WF or could it still be something on my end that I've overlooked?

To be honest, The game isnt the best optimization wise, Its probably the game because people with 1-2 grand rigs still suffer fps drops in things like xini, Once  its out of beta ( If ever ) Then hopefully it will be better optimised.

Also with the upcoming console release, They have to add better threading, Otherwise warframe will be "That game that lags" And people wont play it when the ps4 / Xbox one comes out

The game has some sort of memory leak. After a few runs, the game runs at 10fps while staring at the floor. Mind, I get full 60 after a restart of the game. Void + time spent in it greatly decreases my framerate, more so than doing normal missions, and only a game restart fixes the slowdowns.

Windows 7 x64

Phenom 9850

4GB DDR2

GTX 260 Core 216

Both before and after 327.23 WHQL. Multithreading on/off and 64-bit on/off. DX9 only (can't access 11 with this card).

Don't even start on my "lack" of ram. Alt-tabbing out of the game shows it has a full 1.5 GB it could be taking advantage of.

Also with the upcoming console release, They have to add better threading, Otherwise warframe will be "That game that lags" And people wont play it when the ps4 / Xbox one comes out

Somehow I doubt it would even pass MS/Sony certification in its current state.

Edited by blackgu4rd

Well, whoever created the Login UI should be tasked for optimising the game. My login screen jumps up to 90-100% on both cards, but while running any mission it sits around 40% to 60% on each card. So maybe Warframes gameplay isn't designed for SLI setups?

It's such a decent utilisation that I could probably use the login screen as a 24hr benchtest. The card RPMs jump right up because it kicks them up to nearly 70 degrees. Normal gameplay never goes above 55/60 degrees.

3930k @ 4.2Ghz

32Gb DDR3 @ 1600

2 GTX 670s in SLI

1920x1080 with max settings, without Bloom, colour correction and DOF.

Not sure if the MultiThreading option affects GPUs as well as CPUs? If it could be adapted to them as well then it would be GREAT!

...when I run games such as The Witcher 2 and BF3 on high/max the GPU is utilised at 99% constantly and my FPS is locked at 60.

So I know my system can make the most of itself, that my CPU is more than capable of letting my GPU run riot.

Generally using other games as a measure of 'my CPU is not bottlenecking me in this game' is a bad idea. Some games are more GPU dependent, others are more CPU dependent. 

However, I do agree that Warframe has some performance issue somewhere. My own laptop is hardly top of the line (quite the opposite) and I don't get full utilization either. 

This is all because warframe has 1 big game thread. See Planetside 2 dev discussion. He talks that planetside 2 has 1 big game thread for physics and everything, which obviously the ps4 cannot handle so they're going back to truly mutlithreading the game before ps4 release, and the patch will come on pc as well.

Hopefully warframe devs have the same plan. It would be a shame to see the pc version with beefy specs running below 30fps in a void against a ps4 version running smoothly. It shouldn't be a problem since its all x86.