Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Looking To Build A New Computer.

Aspari

I actually prefer laptops but I cannot upgrade my Lenovo Ideapad with a new GPU. I haven't actually tried taking it apart but I heard that the iGPU is soldered into place and the BIOS won't read other cards. So I went to this website to look for PC builds I can get on a very small budget.

http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-600-and-1200

What I really need is advice. My budget is only 400 dollars (school grant money) and I want to get the most out of the budget for a gaming PC. I also went to PC Part Picker, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing on that site. I'm a hardware noob, but I know that it's way better to build your own PC than get an overpriced hunk of junk. And if it were possible I'd just upgrade my laptop's GPU since the only thing not good about my laptop is the GPU. 

I also looked at the ASUS XG Station, which is an external graphics card that uses the ExpressCard slot, but I don't even know how much it costs or if it's even being sold.

Overclocking my Intel HD 4000 doesn't seem worth the risk either since I read that the increase in wattage and frequency will barely have an effect on performance.

I appreciate any advice, but keep in mind that I've never even touched internal hardware before or did any sort of internal repairs on computers. 

Your budget is a bit low,but here is something that you could put together:

-Intel i5(or similar) quad core CPU around 200 dollars.

- Budget case with PSU 40 dollars

- 1TB Hard drive 60 dollars

- 4GB RAM 40 dollars

- budget motherboard 40 dollars

At this point you already spent your budget, but you still need a graphics card. You could either put the hard drive from your laptop into your new PC and spend those 60 dollars on a graphics card, or choose a dual core processor instead, and spend the money left on a graphics card. You might want to spend around 100 or more on a solid graphics card.

Prices are probably a bit off, as I don't know where you are from, and what the prices are there, but there should not be a big difference. You cant quite call this a "gaming PC" but it will run games just fine, and you can upgrade it if needed when you have some money to spend.

Edited by 4rum