Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Overhauling the Scan mechanic

Good night everyone.

I began playing warframe last year and have been enjoying it, but there is one mechanic in this game which really seems lacking and unfulfilling, almost like a chore to do. Which is the scanner.

Warframe recently have been taking a different approach on how to enrich its lore by telling parallel stories, Nightwave being its best example. By telling more about the system without having to move on the plot about sentients or the search for space mom, after all the system is more than just the Old War.

There is a lot in this game that i feel that could have a more interesting and fulfilling way of explaining things, after all it has a lot of alien lifeforms and unique biomes in the system, also ways in which the factions divide themselves (Grineer has the Tubemen, Corpus has the new Amalgams, etc). We get that for example, Kavats were able to survive by going feral and eating infested on the Derelicts, but how do we know? Scanning a Cephalon Fragment. It's not fun in the slightest, let alone even interesting. And there is still a lot of stuff that gets me wondering and yet I didn't found out "How can it be", for example how does the Lunar Pitcher managed to survive in the Void? Or why does Kubrows lay eggs?

To find out most of this stuff we have to either scan Cephalon Fragments or have Simaris tell us why. The Orb Vallis missions for The Business took a different approach, but still we're left with a lot of lackluster stuff to do in order to explore the rest of the system. I feel like we don't need quests to explain every single aspect of the game, there is a lot of cool aspects that gets even better when we can find out ourselves.

So, can DE perhaps take a step towards giving more depth to this mechanic and what it accomplishes? Could we get stuff to put on our Empyreans or Dojos like a tank to breed indigenous lifeforms? To study new flora? I bet it could even employ more tennogen, by selling vases to put new plants or stuff. It just sound so wasteful to see biomes labeled as "Tilesets" and we just tag along thinking like that. I would love to explore the oceans of Uranus, to study how does Argon Crystal forms and all that. But as of it now, we just can't, and the only mean we have to get that like curiosity satisfied is this sole mechanic, the scanner, which is a chore.

Scanning is used to gain several useful advantages.

1. Lore. Codex entries can contain interesting lore

2. Weaknesses. Scanning reveals every enemy's strengths and weaknesses to certain elements

3. Stats. Scanning also reveals general stats of a level 1 enemy, which can be used to calculate higher level enemies if you google the formula

4. Simaris XP. Using the synthesis scanner can get you some pretty cool rewards with Simaris rank.

Of course, you can also just use Helios like any sane person and it'll do the scanning for you :p

The map is called a Tileset because there are different tiles they put together to make the map. This is why every run has a randomly generated set of rooms to run through to reach the end point.