Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ideas for Improving atlas and general thoughts

crashapple12

with atlas prime on the horizon and with his rework failing to improve him enough to bring atlas players in i'm throwing my own thoughts in the ring

my general thoughts on atlas is he is currently a terribly flawed warframe, one that is fun to punch things as but with some  absolutely confusing design
regarding his rubble mechanics and his petrification state, both contributing to why he is such an under performing warframe

to start off with
the inability to status proc petrified enemies really cripples atlas in many ways, while at low level this is a non issue, at high level this outright ruins the value of this state
as status procs absolutely dominate scaled content, be it corrosive, viral, slash or gas (though it does pause currently active proc timers (but so does limbo's stasis))
this isn't exclusive to atlas as frost and gara have the same inbuilt flaw onto avalanche and mass vitrify, though atlas suffers from this drawback far more for a few reasons
firstly while gara has her blind which she can use with finishers to bypass the scaled resistances of enemies or outright instant kill them with a dagger and frosts avalanche reduces armour
atlas has neither instead petrified enemies only take bonus damage, atlas has absolutely no means to overcome this outside of praying he can get a squad of corrosive projections

this in itself is the start of multiple problems with atlas's scale ability that leave him a brutal cycle
firstly it makes enemies unnecessarily difficult to kill outright harder to kill than using no power at all, even though it is a unique form of cc
which causes enemies that are high level to be less likely to die in order to drop rubble
which means atlas is less likely to be able to collect and maintain his rubble armour
which means he takes more damage which prevents atlas from collecting more rubble armour as even missing 1 hp will  cause rubble to become health instead of armour
which means his armour peels off even faster making him even more reliant on enemies that are unnecessarily hard to kill
or repeatedly spamming rumblers not for the sake of having them around, but solely to generate rubble

the petrify state was an issue even before his rework, his rework only highlighted the issue more as it forced the use of the state to generate rubble
and with wukong's stellar recent rework all i can ask is why, why even tie the armour mechanic to something so inherently unreliable

and thus comes to my collection of improvement idea's 

• Landslide:

allow range scaling on the dash
allow natural talent to affect speed
Reason:  if other dash power can range scale properly why not atlas

• Synergies:

allow landslide to target tectonics
punching a tectonics wall shatters the wall dealing damage to enemies on the opposite side of the wall

Punching a tectonics ball would launch it like a cannon in the direction of the crosshair
exploding on impact

Reason:
fun combo interactions

• Tectonics:

Remove ball following crosshair
Reason:  following the crosshair does little but cause the ball to immediately slam into a wall

• Petrify:

reduce energy cost to 50 or preferably 25
make petrified enemies instantly die below 35% health
reduce petrified enemies armour
make rubble only heal atlas and his rumblers

Reason:
while i would prefer it if the petrified state not prevent procs, it is also a unique state that makes sense for it to prevent them
decoupling rubble armour from petrify allows it to be used solely as a lightly unreliable source of healing
the low health execution threshold just being a cool means of "shattering" enemies turned to stone
(i would also appreciate this on gara and frost for consistencies sake)
as for the reason for the cost adjustment, there are far stronger forms of CC that cost less that don't make enemies proc immune

• Synergies

put rumblers into a berserk state when hit increasing their attack speed and movement speed for 10-15s

petrified enemies hit by either tectonics or landslide have a chance to drop rubble

Reason:
fun combo interactions

• Rumblers:

remove radial petrify....
Reason:
if you have two sources of petrify one being a cone the other being radial, why would you ever choose to use the cone

become stationary channeling while absorbing all damage before summoning the rumblers
absorbed damage increases rumbler damage and health
absorbed damage increases atlas's armour by up to 1500 until the duration expires
have rumblers deal impact damage and whatever elemental damage types are present on equipped melee divided up equally

Reason:
its a way of utilizing a very well implemented absorption mechanic used on wukong in a way that makes sense and isn't just a copy paste
that and people already spam rumblers for rubble armour so why not just make it part of the ability,