Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Adaptive Exposure. Fix it. Other graphical setting issues. Huge performance impacts

Stormandreas

I've been having a lot of fun with Gauss, however I've noticed that whenever I use Mach Rush, EVERYTHING around me just goes black. Why? Because of the Adaptive Exposure.

This makes using Mach Rush quite hard in long stints when it's dark anyway, as you now can't see a thing, and even indoors it can cause issues. I did some digging and found this has been a constant issue with Adaptive Exposure for over 4 years now!!!
Essentially, what is happening, is the game is detecting a bright COLOUR, and darkening everything down to the point of being blind, instead of darkening a bright LIGHT like it should be.
This causes anything that uses bright colours and particles to cause huge amounts of darkness accross the board, which defeats the whole point of Adaptive Exposure.

Now this can be worked around by turning off High Dynamic Range, and only have 1 or the other on, however, that causes a whole host of other issues, like the Navigation screen and White ares on menus being obnoxiously bright. 

What also doesn't make sense, is turning literally every single setting OFF, and still getting Bloom, Glare, and Dynamic Lighting. I spent a good half hour turning settings on and off to see if it would make a difference. None.
There's no way at all to turn off certain Bloom and D-Lighting effects, which again, defeats the entire point of even having those graphical options.

NOT ONLY THAT, but some options absolutely tank performance for no explainable reason. Runtime Tesselation is one. As far as I could tell, it does absolutely nothing, as even on PoE or Orb Vallis, Foliage, certain textures, effects and models don't get rendered anyway past a certain point anyway, and RT does nothing to solve that. Having this on cuts my performance by about 30%

Lastely, is down to enemy spawns. For whatever reason, a single enemy spawning causes huge loads on the PC, with lots of enemies causing lag spikes. This is very noticable in (Elite) Sanctuary Onslaught, where destroying a huge wave of enemies will result in a massive lag spike, followed by all the new enemies spawning all at once (similarly for the Conduits materializing for some reason as well).
I ran this through DE's own stress tester (use the Login screen, and type Corpus.Outbreak). This never once happened after 2 hours of leaving it running. When actually playing however, this well happen regularly.
Also, while being a host, my performance HALFS! My rig can play comfortably at a capped 144 FPS, without too many issues at all, however as soon as I host a game, I drop to an unstable 100fps, again for no explainable reason. The only thing I could summarise is that my PC is having to work overtime just to send information to the Clients, in order to ensure everyone sees something die or spawn at the exact same time. In doing so, it diverts an unreasonable amount of resources from actually rendering things for me. There's even been the case that my performance dropped so badly being the host, I couldn't do anything, so my teammates had to complete the mission (and had no performance problems either).

I have tested all this on MULTIPLE difference PC setups over 2 years, all with varying different levels of success, but all with the same issues, ranging from Intel I5's, I7's and my current AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, alongside a GTX560, 660, 960. 970 and current 1070. All setups used 16+GB of RAM.
I am actually not kidding when I say, I got better performance using a weaker rig and lower settings, than my current strongest rig and MEDIUM settings. 

DE... fix you damn graphical engine/settings.

Edited by Stormandreas

The only thing you've mentioned are a few specs and your in-game settings. 

I'm assuming you're either using the in-game fps tracker or (key word there; or) task manager. Neither are reliable to look at. 

Do you have parked cores? Is your anti-malware software being overly aggressive(this won't show exactly how many resources it is utilizing in task manager)? Is your RAM working over time? Is your CPU "usage" higher than your GPU? (I'm going to contradict myself here, but DO compare them in task manager - just for the sake of ease). 

Not everybody is experiencing these issues, nor can you use the argument, "but I've seen a plethora of posts that show just how bad this game is optimized." Just... Don't do it. 

Is the game optimized really well? Yes and no. It's too broad of a topic to go into detail over. 

What settings have you messed with in your GPU? Windows? Drivers up to date? Be as detailed as possible here so I can try and help you. Your system is extremely far ahead of mine, yet I can run at 100fps stable, with 0 dips in performance. However, I had to do a good amount of optimization within windows itself before I could pull it off - and YES I have EVERYTHING on High PLUS Enabled, with Anti-Aliasing enabled (high settings - can't exactly remember what it was called as I only turned it on for testing purposes - TXAA(?))

I run:

AMD 8350 8-core CPU

Radeon FX-480 8GB GPU

8GB DDR RAM

Samsung EVO 250GB SSD along with an m.2 drive

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

800W PSU (slightly overkill for my build). 

Nothing is over locked. Everything is stock because I didn't care to mess with everything at the time (and still haven't but plan too before upgrading for S#&$s and giggles). 

Again, I have 0 performance issues. You've checked (to my knowledge based off of this post) one small area of a multitude of areas in which the problem could be laying. 

Lemme know please!

12 hours ago, Bigheadwallz993 said:

The only thing you've mentioned are a few specs and your in-game settings. 

I'm assuming you're either using the in-game fps tracker or (key word there; or) task manager. Neither are reliable to look at. 

Do you have parked cores? Is your anti-malware software being overly aggressive(this won't show exactly how many resources it is utilizing in task manager)? Is your RAM working over time? Is your CPU "usage" higher than your GPU? (I'm going to contradict myself here, but DO compare them in task manager - just for the sake of ease). 

Not everybody is experiencing these issues, nor can you use the argument, "but I've seen a plethora of posts that show just how bad this game is optimized." Just... Don't do it. 

Is the game optimized really well? Yes and no. It's too broad of a topic to go into detail over. 

What settings have you messed with in your GPU? Windows? Drivers up to date? Be as detailed as possible here so I can try and help you. Your system is extremely far ahead of mine, yet I can run at 100fps stable, with 0 dips in performance. However, I had to do a good amount of optimization within windows itself before I could pull it off - and YES I have EVERYTHING on High PLUS Enabled, with Anti-Aliasing enabled (high settings - can't exactly remember what it was called as I only turned it on for testing purposes - TXAA(?))

I run:

AMD 8350 8-core CPU

Radeon FX-480 8GB GPU

8GB DDR RAM

Samsung EVO 250GB SSD along with an m.2 drive

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

800W PSU (slightly overkill for my build). 

Nothing is over locked. Everything is stock because I didn't care to mess with everything at the time (and still haven't but plan too before upgrading for S#&$s and giggles). 

Again, I have 0 performance issues. You've checked (to my knowledge based off of this post) one small area of a multitude of areas in which the problem could be laying. 

Lemme know please!

I have been using Ingame FPS, Task Manager, an other various pieces of software to measure PC performance and FPS tracking. All show the same thing, plus it's VISIBLY noticeable for the performance problems.

I always set Warframe to bypass anti-virus and firewall software, so that's not an issue.  Infact I set Warframes priority over everything else in every regard, and it doesn't make a bit of difference to the performance.
Given that, over the course of 4 years, after every single update, there are new people making posts about performance issues of very similar things, it is very much an argument. All DE needs to do is search up say, "warframe adaptive exposure" and find tons of results relating to the exact same issue.

As for CPU higher than GPU usage, yes and no. Yes with the I5, no with the I7 and Ryzen 7. All drivers are always kept up to date, and I have tried rolling them back 2, 3, 4 versions to see if it made a difference. None.

This has been ongoing for me for at least 2 years now, and no matter the rig, I am experiencing the same issues to varying degrees. Btw, WF is always installed in my SSD. I have tried the Steam and Non-steam version.