Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game freezes but still continues

Cephalon_Phendria

Hello.

It's been some time now (nearly one week) that i got some bugs really annoying, the game freezes - at least the framerate freezes- but the game is still running, i can hear and move according to friends but my screen is totally freezed. Can't extract, can't load anything not even the orbiter if i manage to extract blindly. If i restart the game i loose everything i looted during the game (happened right now with an Axi Relic Run where i lost Atlas Neuroptics) even if the game allows me to get back in the squad (and my relics are gone, of course).

I checked my settings, even tried to downgrade my graphic settings, update my graphic drivers, downgrade my graphic drivers (when i noticed that upgrading them didn't worked either). I also tried with another graphic card but nothing worked. Uninstall and install Warframe didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas ?

I'm getting the exact same problem. Sometimes in will completely freeze when logging in for me. It's super annoying, and I've tried everything you did as well, but to no avail. I've also, just uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, same thing keeps happening. 

Also reporting in to say I'm experiencing the same issue after coming back after a couple months.

For some reason, the graphics processer is being dropped mid-session, according to the Ee.log.

593.357 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
593.359 Gfx [Error]: Dx11TextureMgr::Present() failed, hr = 0x887A0005
593.359 Gfx [Error]: Present returned DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Checked my drivers and everything is up to date. I don't even know how to overclock anything, so I know that isn't it. Even tried turning off v-sync, and it is still constantly freezing. The longest I've gone without a freeze is maybe 5 minutes. Half the time, it freezes during log in. DE Please.

Edited by Hulthrend
meant off not on

What is your GPU and CPU?

If all else fails, use different GPU (graphics processing unit) or different graphics card. It is possible the graphics card might be defective or dying.

If your computer have switchable graphics, try power save GPU for Warframe. Stable and low FPS might be better then random crash or freeze.

There is at least an other user that switched GPU to stop the random graphics errors and random freeze. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1133826-7970-radeon-freeze-pixels-issues/

same perma freezes here, gtx 650ti stable 100+ fps on midhigh preset anywhere, temperatures are ok, no oc or anything else that can cause crashes, ANY other games run smooth 

w10 64 last 1903 or 1909 i dont know actually, all updates installed, all drivers up to date

Edited by FearStr1ke

I've been running some tests trying to fix this and i think i have finally fixed it. (For me) Hopefully it can be fixed for you as well.

I normally play with my GPU overclocked, I did a 4 hour stress test with Furmark (extreme burn in test) so i know it is stable. (It is in every other game i play)

Warframe seemed to be the only game that would freeze the screen but continue playing. I even had a friend guide me to extraction one time. lol

I tired almost everything trying to fix this freeze but nothing worked. So i blamed the game. .

Well it turns out all i had to do was tick "Disable Full screen Optimization " and "Run this program as administrator" and no more screen freeze.

d6XlD0t.png

This is what i use zLsdWyV.png 

I tested the game for like 8 hours on driver version 430.86 and my current driver 440.97 for 3-4 hours. No freeze for now. . .

I don't remember how long i played last night with the 440.97 driver but i know it was more then 2, and this screen shot is from today.

K7F2T2v.jpg

Hope this helps someone, good luck.

Edit: I also have this in my Nvidia control panel.

DYSyJhb.png

Edited by NinjaRican
Added another image.

I'll give the disable full screen optimizations tweak a go and see how it runs. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: I thought it fixed it, played for a couple hours yesterday with no issues. Sadly, I had the freezing again during the endurance run of the Tactical Alert. The log was just flooded with instances of the following line until the app was exited:

2273.822 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11OcclusionQuery::Create() returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)

Edited by Azure_Kyte
Edited to add sad news

On 2019-10-24 at 6:57 PM, Azure_Kyte said:

I'll give the disable full screen optimizations tweak a go and see how it runs. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: I thought it fixed it, played for a couple hours yesterday with no issues. Sadly, I had the freezing again during the endurance run of the Tactical Alert. The log was just flooded with instances of the following line until the app was exited:

Are you using Windows 10 version 1903?

Have you tried the Nvidia drivers 440.97?

If you have a factory overclocked GPU (example->Asus Strix GTX 980 OC) then it might be that causing the crash maybe. (idk i'm just tossin stuff around trying to help.)

Spoiler
Yeah that's really not terribly high, but still... the way Nvidia Boost 3.0 works, it may be trying to push the clocks higher than even the vBIOS boost clock (the one set by manufacturer) if it's cool enough. People run into this a lot when using liquid cooling blocks on GPUs in particular, because Nvidia's Boost 3.0 algorithm sees the card is only 40-50C and tries to ramp up the clocks too aggressively.

If you detatch the graphs at the bottom, you can actually see what the card is doing over time (or just use the OSD). But more or less, you can just run the game then mouse over and look at the details for the peaks on the graph for clock speed and see what it was doing when/if you get an ERR12 crash.

I had a friend who got this constantly on his GTX 1070 Ti and we had to manually downclock it from the factory 1783 MHz it would run at 65C to around 1650 MHz, 33MHz below even reference spec for a 1070 TI, to get it to run MHW stable. Unfortunately, the game came out after these cards were tested and I think some chips will run into instability at what the factory thought was good based on the games from 2015/2016 that most of the GTX 1000's were likely tested with when the factory clocks and AIB cooling configurations were going through their paces.

The error, in and of itself, is a TDR, which means the card or drivers locked up and did not respond within 2 seconds, so the driver was closed by Windows and restarted. It's the same as a D3D_DEVICE_HUNG or "The D3D device was removed" error in other game engines. TDR means "Timeout Detection and Recovery" and is put there to prevent what used to happen in games when a GPU was running into instability as just frozen hard locks (video frozen or black with continued or repeating audio, requiring a restart).

It can be caused by a buggy driver sometimes, but IMO, as prolific as it's been in MHW it's obviously caused by the card's core clock being unstable when handling the game's D3D11 calls. The game is just particularly good at exacerbating any even minor instability in GPU chips if you ask me. Some higher-end (binned) chips handle it fine like mine does, while others, like my friend's, may not even be stable at what is considered the reference clock for the chip.

Edit: Since you have Afterburner already, I can tell you some easy ways to muck around with the clocks.

With AB open, hit CTRL+F to open the V/F curve window. This is essentially the frequencies available to the card and the corresponding voltages it will use to run those clocks.

Now, there are two ways to approach this, you can lower the clock speed or you can increase the voltage the card draws at a given clock. Don't worry. You really can't do anything wrong here. The card is going to have a voltage limit set by the vBIOS and you can't go beyond that even if you want to, so killing your card through overvolting it isn't possible.

Just to test, I suggest clicking on the dots along the curve until you find the one that is 1733MHz or just below that. With that dot selected, if you hit CTRL+L, you will see a yellow vertical dotted line appear on that dot. That's telling you that the frequency lock is enabled. The card is now unable to go above or below that frequency, but will stay right there. Now test the game and see if you get an ERR12. If you still do I would move the dot to the right, increasing the voltage given to the GPU when it runs that frequency and test with the game again. More voltage means more heat, so ideally, you want to find the sweet spot where it's just enough voltage to run that clock stable and no more.

This is essentially just like CPU overclocking except much safer. When a frequency in a CPU OC is unstable, we keep increasing the voltage until it is either stable or we reach the safe voltage limits of the CPU. Same theory applies to GPUs. If a GPU is unstable at a given clock, you have two choices: drop the clock or increase the voltage. Luckily, modern GPU's have protections so that you cannot overvolt them so play around with it. If you have to bump up the voltage a bit to get it stable, that's fine. It just means that the factory V/F curve stored in the vBIOS was a little too aggressive on the clock vs the voltage it's feeding the GPU and it needs a little manual tweaking.

Once you understand this, conceptually, you can then move all the higher clocked dots you see to the right of the one we locked a bit further right, giving them a tad bit more voltage, and if you want to be thorough, test them each using the frequency lock (or just turn it off and let the GPU use the unlocked curve) to ensure they are stable.
Last edited by Ancient; Oct 22 @ 8:21pm

Taken from here https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1743357605563901479/?ctp=2

Did you tick "Run this program as administrator"?

You probably tried this but, have you tried setting the power management mode in Nvidia control panel to "prefer maximum performance"?

Last thing i can think of is this 

Spoiler

and maybe turn off everything in here.4KsCyU1.png

Edit: I forgot to mention that i had this problem ever since like a year ago (or 2) and the way i was dealing with it was to down clock my GPU from +192 on the core clock to +169 core clock and it ran fine. So if you don't have MSI afterburner maybe give that a try. 

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by NinjaRican
Added info.

Yeah, I did have Run as Administrator ticket, too.

I've already tried pretty much everything there minus underclocking, I'm afraid. My GPU is just a stock standard GTX 1060, not overclocked.

I'm currently running Windows 10 Version 1903 and the graphics drivers are at 440.97, with all power settings pretty much everywhere set to favour maximum performance. All the Gaming settings on the OS level are off as well.

I've filed a ticket with information to support at this point, but yeah. It's weird. Thanks for trying to help though, I appreciate it.