Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Galatine Gonna Be The New Standard For Melee Weapons?

Inberun

I'm going to try much to stay out of serious topics, but I want to insert my 2c in here.

For the risk vs reward, anything from the Dual heat Swords and stronger should have been this strong to start with. So, I am glad.

I'm just mad about how it's going to outrank Prime weapons. No weapon is safe from being outclassed anymore, and that is most likely going to hurt DE's sales of potatoes and forma.

I finally thought that Dual Ichors were an introduction to making non-charge melee a viable option against higher level enemies(70-100), and compete with charge melee builds.

This release makes the charge melee build the direction they want players to work for in terms of being useful in damage.

They need to really take a hard look at the overall melee system. It needs to be tweaked, getting bored of having to go to lower level enemies to make non-charge feel useful(Ichor being the exception atm), then switch to charge melee on higher level enemies, and then at 120+, I'm forced to switch to guns because melee scales of horribly despite the risks we take going into melee range.

you do realize orthos prime I still a good deal better? yes the charge damage is ridiculously high, but so is the time  (1.7)

If my math is correct, Galatine's charge speed would be 1.06 seconds(after both charge speed increase mods) for 400 base damage. Orthos Prime has .31 second charge speed(after both charge speed mods) for 200 base damage.

Galatine's base attack is 35, with an attack speed of 1.4. Orthos Prime deals 60 damage with an attack speed of 1.3. They share the same jump and slide damages.

TL;DR: Galatine is cool looking, but Orthos Prime outclasses it. Galatine isn't worth building, unless you'd just like a giant pimp-sword.

Edited by Grascen

Coming from someone who maintains melee ALOT as I played Loki throughout my endeavors, I will like to say this about melee.

It's very easy to get something like Dual Cleavers *Which are very fun and useful* or Dual Zoren and chop away at the lower mobs. I mean, waisitng a whole gram attack on one Grineer is useless.

However, against heavy enemies and elites, most weapons do infact lack the damage needed to kill them. By a far shot.

Giving this sword a quick base attack speed not only gives it the ability to chop through normal units with the elements, but with a huge charge damage it can blow heavies out of the water much quicker with charge damage + elements.

Overall, there is no downside to this weapon. It looks good on paper to give everyone something super OP like this, but only time will tell.

Let's put it this way. This weapon is the Acrid of melee.

No, it isn't.

Orthos Prime attacks .1 seconds slower, but does 25 more damage per hit than Galatine. Orthos Prime with max charge mods does 3 charge attacks(600 damage) to a single one of Galtine's charge attacks(400 damage).

It's the Supra of melee weapons: Looks good on paper, but is completely outclassed by something else(Soma).

Edited by Grascen

Coming from someone who maintains melee ALOT as I played Loki throughout my endeavors, I will like to say this about melee.

It's very easy to get something like Dual Cleavers *Which are very fun and useful* or Dual Zoren and chop away at the lower mobs. I mean, waisitng a whole gram attack on one Grineer is useless.

However, against heavy enemies and elites, most weapons do infact lack the damage needed to kill them. By a far shot.

Giving this sword a quick base attack speed not only gives it the ability to chop through normal units with the elements, but with a huge charge damage it can blow heavies out of the water much quicker with charge damage + elements.

Overall, there is no downside to this weapon. It looks good on paper to give everyone something super OP like this, but only time will tell.

Unfortunately, the swing speed that we witnessed in the video was with a Fury mod, at least. Unranked, this beautiful weapon is as slow as my younger sister.

That said, it hits so hard that it makes the Grineer quake in fear.

Unfortunately, the swing speed that we witnessed in the video was with a Fury mod, at least. Unranked, this beautiful weapon is as slow as my younger sister.

That said, it hits so hard that it makes the Grineer quake in fear.

I'm not trying to point you in a different direction, but judging weapons and skills based on unmodded first glances are a very bad thing to practice.

There is even a thread on weapon feedback about it.

Orthos Prime with max charge mods does 3 charge attacks(600 damage) to a single one of Galtine's charge attacks(400 damage).

A modded Lato can outdamage an unranked Acrid.

A high-leveled Grineer Lancer can outdamage a low-leveled Heavy Gunner.

My dad can beat up your mom.

Edited by SortaRandom

Really don't understand whats with DE's fetish to release weapons that render older weapons worthless.

I highly doubt it's that hard to make weapons more diverse instead of making some black on white better than others and then laughing at those than forma'd the "lower tier hur hur" weapons.

Hopefully basic attacks will fare better when armor 2.0 comes out.Even if so I doubt any other melee weapon will outclass dat 400 charge damage.

I'm pretty dissapointed in DE. 'We want every frame to be at the same standard as Vauban and Nova.' Proceeds to nerf Vauban and probably Nova in the future. I have little hope that upcoming melee weapons will be up to par with the galatine and instead it will most likely be nerfed.