The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Inflicting 0 damage on critical hits

(PSN)Homunculu

Hi, I rolled a riven for my Kohn and received the following stats: damage, toxin, status chance and negative critical damage. At first, I was not concerned about the negative critical damage since I would run a status chance build, but, for my surprise, when my smeeta kavat procs the 200% bonus on critical chance, I start to inflict 0 damage on foes until the bonus runs out. If I equip a mod to avoid the negative critical damage, everything runs smoothly. Well, I am still new to the game but critical damage was not supposed to be something that adds to the weapon base damage? Instead, what is happening is when I inflict a critical, all my damage is calculated based on my critical damage, but my critical damage is 0,1 because of my riven, so I start to inflict zeros on foes. In my understanding, if your critical damage is 0, then the lowest damage that the weapon should inflict is the base damage of the weapon, Am I wrong?

• Like 1

No.

What you see happening is happening. What you think should happen isn't happening and shouldn't.

Welcome to the joys of negative scaling. 

First- the kavat ability doesn't add 200% to crit chance, it sets it to 200%. So, unless you have something else adding to or taking from your CC (Harrow, Arcane Avenger, etc) you'll always orange crit.

Second- Your critical multiplier is what your damage is multiplied by when you critically hit, rather than how much is added to the damage when you critically hit. For example, if you have a crit multiplier of 2x, your critical hit will deal double damage, not triple.

Higher crits add the multiplier-1 to your critical damage- so if a normal (yellow) crit does 2x damage, and orange one will do 3x, and the first-tier red ones will do 4x (as it's adding 2-1=1x per level). If you have a 4.4 crit multiplier, orange crits will instead do 7.8x damage, and reds 11.2x (as it's adding 4.4-1= 3.4x per level). If you have a 0.1x crit multiplier, orange and red will deal no damage- as it add 0.1-1= -0.9x per level, making orange crits -0.8x and anything higher theoretically worse. 

However, since the game makes it nearly impossible to heal enemies accidentally; you instead just deal 0 damage.

So if your critical multiplier is 0.5x or lower, orange crits and better are always 0 damage. If it's 0.666... or lower, first tier red crits and better are always 0. If it's 1.0, all that changes is color.

• Like 1

On 2019-11-15 at 10:08 AM, (PS4)theMycon said:

No.

What you see happening is happening. What you think should happen isn't happening and shouldn't.

Welcome to the joys of negative scaling. 

First- the kavat ability doesn't add 200% to crit chance, it sets it to 200%. So, unless you have something else adding to or taking from your CC (Harrow, Arcane Avenger, etc) you'll always orange crit.

Second- Your critical multiplier is what your damage is multiplied by when you critically hit, rather than how much is added to the damage when you critically hit. For example, if you have a crit multiplier of 2x, your critical hit will deal double damage, not triple.

Higher crits add the multiplier-1 to your critical damage- so if a normal (yellow) crit does 2x damage, and orange one will do 3x, and the first-tier red ones will do 4x (as it's adding 2-1=1x per level). If you have a 4.4 crit multiplier, orange crits will instead do 7.8x damage, and reds 11.2x (as it's adding 4.4-1= 3.4x per level). If you have a 0.1x crit multiplier, orange and red will deal no damage- as it add 0.1-1= -0.9x per level, making orange crits -0.8x and anything higher theoretically worse. 

However, since the game makes it nearly impossible to heal enemies accidentally; you instead just deal 0 damage.

So if your critical multiplier is 0.5x or lower, orange crits and better are always 0 damage. If it's 0.666... or lower, first tier red crits and better are always 0. If it's 1.0, all that changes is color.

Tyvm for your explanation, well, so my options are: add a cd mod to counter the neg cd or reroll.