Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reactors, Catalysts, And New Players

Seanjuju

(This began as a post but became a topic)

In all honesty, DE has said that they plan to add ways to obtain 'potatoes' aside from RNG based systems. Before they do that, they need to understand that catalysts should come more frequently than reactors. Catalysts and Reactors don't have equal worth. There are many more weapons than there are frames. Some of these things never occur to DE and they don't like to think about it because in truth, potato sells are good revenue.

It's well that they keep in mind that new players aren't already diehard fans of warframe and aren't willing to wait months to charge weapons simply to discover if the weapon is one they like. Gauging the potential of uncharged weapons is very difficult except in rare cases in which weapons shine immediately (thrown weapons). Weapons that don't shine immediately are neglected and ultimately, weapon choice is narrow.  

(tangent) New players need a better opening experience and should not be told that Excalibur is the go-to frame for new players. They should be walked through, in detail, how each frame functions and make their decision based on that. Why? Because the historically overwhelming choice of Ex as a 'starter' coupled with narrow weapon choices for a significant time belie the ideals of uniqueness warframe has. Each 'starter' needs to begin with a weapon representative of their play-style, though not necessarily a primary.  

On the other hand, its not extremely hard to determine whether you like a frame especially with the introduction of the aura system. Powers and base stats are straightforward. A squishy frame when given a reactor doesn't become a tank. Mods may improve powers that have already been maxed but don't drastically change their function, strength, or niche.

This is not so with weapons because as DE has recognized recently, all weapons are not equal, one weapon can be a direct upgrade of another. This, in theory, never occurs with frames. Weapons are tier based and frames are not; DE now needs to recognize this distinction and act accordingly. DE doesn't need to cater so much to casual players as they do to those that aren't immediately diehard fans.       

Why? Because the historically overwhelming choice of Ex as a 'starter' coupled with narrow weapon choices for a significant time belie the ideals of uniqueness warframe has. Each 'starter' needs to begin with a weapon representative of their play-style, though not necessarily a primary.

I agree with the majority of it, but this part stood out to me. I personally like this idea, however it would need some tweaking. For example, it would make sense that Mag would start with a Boar or Strun, so should they make a "Mk-1 Boar"? And what would be Loki's signature? Any of the stealthy weapons are actually mid-high tier. Perhaps a "Mk-1 Latron", or some new base tier DMR? The should expand the pallet of base tier weapons as it is very limiting. And all such base tier weapons should be pretty dang cheap...just sayin.

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

I agree with the majority of it, but this part stood out to me. I personally like this idea, however it would need some tweaking. For example, it would make sense that Mag would start with a Boar or Strun, so should they make a "Mk-1 Boar"? And what would be Loki's signature? Any of the stealthy weapons are actually mid-high tier. Perhaps a "Mk-1 Latron", or some new base tier DMR? The should expand the pallet of base tier weapons as it is very limiting. And all such base tier weapons should be pretty dang cheap...just sayin.

Actually the vulkar is kinda of junky to begin with, it would actually make a good freebie starter, cause it ain't good for much else. Loki could use that and a good stealth stabby weapon to teach crit stabs from day one.

Edited by -Kittens-

frames do have "tiers"

excal vs excal prime

frost vs frost prime

mag vs mag prime

etc...

I do not regret potatoing my frames but, for example, i am finishing up frost prime, my potatoed frost will never get used once prime is done.

What I would really like to see is a method to scrap old stuff and extract the potato.

frames do have "tiers"

excal vs excal prime

frost vs frost prime

mag vs mag prime

etc...

I do not regret potatoing my frames but, for example, i am finishing up frost prime, my potatoed frost will never get used once prime is done.

What I would really like to see is a method to scrap old stuff and extract the potato.

And maybe get some resources back for scrapping it...

frames do have "tiers"

excal vs excal prime

frost vs frost prime

mag vs mag prime

etc...

Huh? The only difference is one polarity slot, and that can be easily forma'd in.

And the slight shield regen buff for Excal Prime is speculated to be false, but I'm not going to do the testing myself. It really is a miniscule number.

I thought you were going to say something along the lines of some Frames being nearly useless. That would be a valid argument, but primes?

And maybe get some resources back for scrapping it...

It should be everything you paid in, period. The rest of the meta-economy is predatory enough as it is, and it's eventually going to fatigue even die hard players. Most f2p require power and utility scaling to stay relevant long term, and they need a method on return that doesn't punish the people supporting them. Anything else is simply slow suicide.

frames do have "tiers"

excal vs excal prime

frost vs frost prime

mag vs mag prime

etc...

I'd actually prefer this not to be the case and I'm sure DE would too. My idea was that primes we're their own frames. The original and prime should share alternative helmets but when worn by the prime, the design should mutate. In other words, many new helmet designs for the primes along with stat changes that may or may not be the same. Primes should have a unique or mutated ability for which they're, in turn, unable to use one of the original abilities. Primes need to be their own frames because that's the direction DE has taken. 100 Energy from Death Orbs is a place-holder at best; at some point, primes must be more than a skin and polarity.  

Edited by Seanjuju

I'd like to see at least 6 base tier weapons (three more than we have now) but I'd prefer more.

MK-1 Versions of:

Latron, Grakata, and Boar.

Furis

Furax*, Fang* 

However, this would follow proper tiering for weapons we already have.

*After longswords are made viable

None of these weapons should have significant dps over any of the others but should instead represent a play style.

Edited by Seanjuju