Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Add First Time Completion Rewards To Help New Players

Unknown924

And there lies my problem with just handing out Serration and Hornet strike. There is no reason to just hand out these mods to new players when not having those mods does not significantly impact their experience with the first planet or two. They aren't expected to start the game and immediately be able to head into mid-high level areas. Nor would they be able to even if they were handed a serration and hornet strike. The current system isn't 'flawed and unfriendly' its just not a cake walk. That challenge that comes from farming that mod you really want is also the very thing that adds to the feeling of satisfaction when you finally get it. That is a major part of this game, trying to eliminate it (or dumb it down for new players) is doing little more than teaching them to expect handouts.

There is also the fact that a base (un-ranked) serration or hornet strike isn't helping a new player much and they aren't going to be able to level it very high with the few cores, fodder mods, and credits that they pick up on mercury.

TL;DR- Why hand new players the 'key' to mid-high level gameplay when they're just getting through the low-easy missions?

You seem to forget that it takes forever to max them and at lowest ranks they give like 20%? 

You seem to forget that it takes forever to max them and at lowest ranks they give like 20%? 

"There is also the fact that a base (un-ranked) serration or hornet strike isn't helping a new player much and they aren't going to be able to level it very high with the few cores, fodder mods, and credits that they pick up on mercury."

No I didn't.

I see no harm in letting new players get their serration/hornet strike early.  As has been stated, they take forever to get leveled.  Why not let new players get started on that process earlier?  What's the point in waiting until a player has the resources to immediately drop 5 or 6 ranks into it, when they finally get the mod to drop?  Let it be a slow curve, instead of a huge leap.  More harm is done by the wait.

And there lies my problem with just handing out Serration and Hornet strike. There is no reason to just hand out these mods to new players when not having those mods does not significantly impact their experience with the first planet or two. They aren't expected to start the game and immediately be able to head into mid-high level areas. Nor would they be able to even if they were handed a serration and hornet strike. The current system isn't 'flawed and unfriendly' its just not a cake walk. That challenge that comes from farming that mod you really want is also the very thing that adds to the feeling of satisfaction when you finally get it. That is a major part of this game, trying to eliminate it (or dumb it down for new players) is doing little more than teaching them to expect handouts.

There is also the fact that a base (un-ranked) serration or hornet strike isn't helping a new player much and they aren't going to be able to level it very high with the few cores, fodder mods, and credits that they pick up on mercury.

TL;DR- Why hand new players the 'key' to mid-high level gameplay when they're just getting through the low-easy missions?

I understand where you are coming from.  I absolutely hate the dumbing down of games, and it seems to be the new trend, especially when a game with good mechanics comes out all of a sudden there is an uproar about it being new player unfriendly and it gets nerfed into boring.

I don't like spoon-fed content.

That being said.  Mods like Serration and Hornet strike are kinda essential the game.  They aren't the key to jumping into mid level early, they are key to progression and fun in the game.  I can only imagine how frustratingly unfun the game is if those didn't drop by the time you've cleared all the way through earth.  You would be running into pug groups of higher level people 1 shotting mobs while you are sitting there bip-bip-bip-bip-bip ducking in and out of cover. 

I agree finally getting that one mod you've been after is part of the enjoyment, makes you forget about all the time searching.  I'm not saying they should hand out everything or even change the drops to make most anything more common.  Just that at an early stage vitality and redirection are more needed, remember frames level health and shield while your TTK is so long at low levels you are opened to more damage.  Serration and Hornet strike as well are just essential to the game.  There isn't a build out there other than someone trying to prove a point about skill with an unmodded weapon, that doesn't have those on the weapon.  Unless they never dropped, and how frustrated is THAT experience?  It is just not conducive to growing the game.

I don't want to see focus or flow or multishot or whatever other rare mods become pretty standard at high levels handed out, but the mods that are essentially the base of what you build a, build on should be.  It is why you get the 4 power mods when you get a new frame.  Making you farm for the basic powers that make that frame would be ludicrous.  Serration and Hornet strike are kinda that way with the weapons.  It isn't like a new player is going to have enough mods to ramp them up right away anyway they will stay balanced.

I understand where you are coming from.  I absolutely hate the dumbing down of games, and it seems to be the new trend, especially when a game with good mechanics comes out all of a sudden there is an uproar about it being new player unfriendly and it gets nerfed into boring.

I don't like spoon-fed content.

That being said.  Mods like Serration and Hornet strike are kinda essential the game.  They aren't the key to jumping into mid level early, they are key to progression and fun in the game.  I can only imagine how frustratingly unfun the game is if those didn't drop by the time you've cleared all the way through earth.  You would be running into pug groups of higher level people 1 shotting mobs while you are sitting there bip-bip-bip-bip-bip ducking in and out of cover. 

I agree finally getting that one mod you've been after is part of the enjoyment, makes you forget about all the time searching.  I'm not saying they should hand out everything or even change the drops to make most anything more common.  Just that at an early stage vitality and redirection are more needed, remember frames level health and shield while your TTK is so long at low levels you are opened to more damage.  Serration and Hornet strike as well are just essential to the game.  There isn't a build out there other than someone trying to prove a point about skill with an unmodded weapon, that doesn't have those on the weapon.  Unless they never dropped, and how frustrated is THAT experience?  It is just not conducive to growing the game.

I don't want to see focus or flow or multishot or whatever other rare mods become pretty standard at high levels handed out, but the mods that are essentially the base of what you build a, build on should be.  It is why you get the 4 power mods when you get a new frame.  Making you farm for the basic powers that make that frame would be ludicrous.  Serration and Hornet strike are kinda that way with the weapons.  It isn't like a new player is going to have enough mods to ramp them up right away anyway they will stay balanced.

I get you, maybe I'm just a little salty over having had to farm for so long to finally get mine. I got pretty good at adapting my builds to work without Serration (obviously they weren't hitting anywhere near as hard as they are now).