Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railguns, And A Way To Snipe Behind Walls.

Nazder

So I am sure EVERYONE has at least experienced one Railgun MOA that hits you through 8 feet of steel and stuns you. Annoying but then I thought, what if WE could do that. Yes we have Shred and Metal Auger for a nice total of 1.8 puncture. AMAZING for groups of enemies I won't lie. Even with that Puncture sometimes you want to lay one bullet and tear through a line of enemies, or hit that target that just went behind that slightly too thick wall. Well what about a Clan Research Railgun that has all the visual and tactical effects of those Railgun MOA? Seems cool. Maybe instead just a special mod for sniper rifles only that adds something like .5 puncture a level, level it 10 times, and now you have a sniper with 5.0 puncture, allowing targets to be easilly hit behind walls. Now what about how those annoying MOA can see you and aim for you when behind a large amount of cover? My idea to give players that ability is to either have a frame ability that outlines targets in an AOE, a mod that marks them visually (Kind of like enemy Radar but not on the map) or a sentinel that applies that? This can provide a slightly more tactical use to puncture and the satisfaction to a sniper to finally see that pesky heavy that is sitting behind a corner. Obviously you could look at that idea and say: "Well then they can just sit behind a wall and kill everything without being seen". Well then what are you supposed to do with a sniper? (besides awesome slides one-shotting things) Simple idea.

Suggestions and criticism is ALWAYS welcome. Please drop any ideas you have about this idea!

Thanks and good day/night!

I think while what you're proposing has some merit, it's a large scale implement thing. Maybe if a mod was added instead that gave some sort of X-ray vision (sounds stupid, I know) and perhaps paired it with another mod that gave Terrain puncture, not enemy puncture?

You used to be able to equip puncture mods each with up to 10m range (though stacking multiple was a bit of a waste, as a single puncture with 10m is more than enough), back with the old mod 1.0 system, when each weapon only had like 5 mod slots potatoed. But yeah, I'm sure a railgun is in the works and will most likely be added via corpus research in the dojo lab. Probably would have a loooong &#! wind-up time or some other serious setback to rein in the obvious op-ness of such a weapon in Tenno hands.

I think while what you're proposing has some merit, it's a large scale implement thing. Maybe if a mod was added instead that gave some sort of X-ray vision (sounds stupid, I know) and perhaps paired it with another mod that gave Terrain puncture, not enemy puncture?

Hey that sounds good actually, having 2 separate mods, one for enemy vision through terrain (not as stupid as you would think, as we already have that between Tenno), and one for terrain puncture.

Thought I would let you know that Puncture acts as enemy Puncture AND terrain Puncture. it is usually just so minimal terrain wise that it cannot punch through anything.

Thank you, though, for the awesome feedback!

Edited by Nazder

Hey that sounds good actually, having 2 separate mods, one for enemy vision through terrain (not as stupid as you would think, as we already have that between Tenno), and one for terrain puncture.

Oh yeah! I totally didn't even think about how we have teammate vision!

Thought I would let you know that Puncture acts as enemy Puncture AND terrain Puncture. it is usually just so minimal terrain wise that it cannot punch through anything.

Thank you, though, for the awesome feedback!

Yeah, I know, my point there was having a 10.0 Puncture mod that works on enemies would be pretty ridiculous.

I was thinking about this the other day actually.  My version of the mod was a combo mod for snipers that gave up to 1.5 puncture and a passive that when you scope with the gun, you get the outlines of targets much like you see other Tenno through walls.

Thank you for these ideas. They are awesome and I feel the ideas on this page could help improve the effectiveness of snipers quite a bit more.

Honestly the only rational gun that would be able to pierce that deeply would be, indeed, a railgun.. you cant expect a laser to travel all degrees of obstruction.

As for seeing behind walls, we do have enemy radar.. but we can do better honestly. Since MOA is computerized we can rationalize they have some sort of system to do their work for them, hence our sentinels could have a mod that uses echolocation, infrared or something. We could be given infrared scopes too, as an attachment via 'appearance'.

Really a fan of the idea of a Railgun with innate puncture. Maybe not 5.0, that's a bit ridiculous, but something like 1-2 meters could have some pretty silly implications and be a lot of fun for those of us who prefer to hang back a bit and take out high value enemies or blow through a line of enemies as they file through a door.

Okay so judging from the posts I have seen this is what sounds good;

Railgun Clan Tech weapon

2.0 innate puncture

Same animations as MOA Charge and bullet effects

250+ Base damage (To make up for the possible long charge time)

"Target Seeker" Mod/Sentinel Ability

Allows targets to be seen through solid objects, much like Thief's Wit or the Highlight we have on fellow Tenno.

Well that is all I can come up with from this. Any more ideas or criticism is always welcome! I will refine this post as I see fit to any more suggestions!