The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boltor & Gorgon

LadyScootaloo

Question

No more 'about how you play it' or 'useful for different stuff'.

No need to mention what they're good for, as I already probably know.

I want simple opinions from the people who have seen them at their best, whether their own or others.

Boltor vs Gorgon.

My vote goes to Gorgon.

Armour pierce is a wonderful bonus, but I think Gorgon's initial fire rate and damage make up for it.

Multishot would work loads better with Gorgon in ALMOST ANY scenario.

Gorgon can be built with criticals. This is almost insanely overpowering when you consider it's fire rate.

Boltor can't crit. Not entirely worthless as you can then focus on other stats, but it feels very much less worth it for this.

19 answers to this question

I stopped using my Gorgon and only ever take out it rather rarely cause the wind-up time ruins it for me. I can't take advantage of it's firerate cause i have to 'restart' it all the time. Don't have such problems with the Gorgon, it does its thing all the time in every situation, no matter if i get interrupted in melee or just come out of a jump+roll... one click and I got access to the full damage potential of the Boltor with no downside if i decide to just press forward via a jump, slide, etc.

It might have a role in killing off waves of infested, but that's what my HEK already does realy, realy good while also not restricting me in my movement.

So it's Boltor for me. (though i prefer the Latron or Braton, cause i'm weird like that)

I find the Boltor the weirdest gun ever, if you find very mobile targets you cant do much than Hope to get them, couse his needles are so slow! i waste so many bullets! :(

I personaly prefer the Gorgon 5m+ pierce %armor pen %multishot %damage- and whatever you can add the better :P

I know what you're saying but U have to consider that the boltor had the 100% armor piercing damage . I think they equal each other. The boltor may be more efficient against the greener and the gorgon against infested

Note that apparently, bosses do not use 'armour' the same way mobs do, and this has no effect on them. (not sure if true)

To make that point, 100% armour piercing's value is lost that Gorgon CANNOT crit in any way.

I know I am not entitled any rights to stop you, but I was hoping(read the first post) for an actual opinion of the user.

I don't need a 'how-to' or 'pros and cons' for either of the weapons, as I, like many, have them at rank30.

Edited by FlameLaevateinn

Boltor is great against Grineer because they are slow, easy to hit and have high armor. If you are solo farming Grineer, it is the best weapon for the job. It is a poor choice against fast moving targets, especially those little flying robots. I only use it against Grineer or bosses.

I don't have a Gorgon but it looks like it is great against infected. It has a wind-up time and terrible accuracy. Infected come in swarms so the wind up time is probably not a big deal against them. I tend to melee infected a lot on my Rhino. If I were using a lighter warframe the Gorgon might be more advantageous. I'll probably try it out when I level my Volt.

Gorgon is the boss-shredder. Get in medium range so you don't miss and you don't need to worry about the windup time nor reloading. Perhaps with a bit of freeze damage besides your tipical mod choise to keep the boss from moving. And you get the best DPS weapon afaik. But it's good at anything except sniping if you mod it accordingly

I've yet to try the boltor but the slow bullets can be compensated by your warframe abilities or a sidearm, not to metion that the rooms aren't that big anyway.

I'd love to see a shotgun of the bolt type, THAT would be efficient: being a close range weapon, the slow bullets wouldn't matter at all.

I find boltors increased accuracy is nice. It helps to use it as a sniper weapon. The gorgon is just a much closer range weapon.

Basically I don't feel one is better than the other, just different.

-Edit- holy cow my words, what happen to language how do i...

Edited by Nothus

I have both weapons, upgraded, but don't really like either one of them. The lack of accuracy of Boltor is a real disappointment, I was expecting better since Bolto pistol used to be perfectly accurate at any range. And of course all those wasted Crit nodes in the upgrade tree...

For main weapon I prefer Snipetron with Puncture/Multishot, or Hek. However the non-working max ammo upgrades on Snipetron is a problem.

I like boltor. It is more economical and reliable, once you get used to the projectile travel time. I kill stuff with much less bullets than Gorgon, and due to its armour ignoring properties, you can use it form any level. A lvl 1 boltor can kill stuff on lvl 30+ just fine. Take much,much longer for a lvl 1 Gorgon to do the same.

Gorgon is the boss-shredder. Get in medium range so you don't miss and you don't need to worry about the windup time nor reloading. Perhaps with a bit of freeze damage besides your tipical mod choise to keep the boss from moving. And you get the best DPS weapon afaik. But it's good at anything except sniping if you mod it accordingly

I've yet to try the boltor but the slow bullets can be compensated by your warframe abilities or a sidearm, not to metion that the rooms aren't that big anyway.

I'd love to see a shotgun of the bolt type, THAT would be efficient: being a close range weapon, the slow bullets wouldn't matter at all.

As far as I know, the Hek has the highest potential DPS of any gun. It all depends on what mods you have, of course. It has to reload more than the Gorgon of course, but it's pretty quick for a long arm.

I like boltor. It is more economical and reliable, once you get used to the projectile travel time. I kill stuff with much less bullets than Gorgon, and due to its armour ignoring properties, you can use it form any level. A lvl 1 boltor can kill stuff on lvl 30+ just fine. Take much,much longer for a lvl 1 Gorgon to do the same.

Why are you comparing the lowest rank to lowest rank?

We should always think of endgame ability.

As far as I know, the Hek has the highest potential DPS of any gun. It all depends on what mods you have, of course. It has to reload more than the Gorgon of course, but it's pretty quick for a long arm.

I think it is, too.

That's sort of why it isn't being contrasted to these two.

As a gun, HEK is a bit OP once given a bit more clips/ammo, multishot and reload speed.

I like boltor better, Gorgon is nice for boss purposes, but I have no problem soloing bosses with just charge attacks only.

Moreover Boltor is more of an all purpose gun compared to gorgon, mainly because gorgon isn't ammo efficient compared to boltor, plus the start up time for gorgon is annoying and you can waste so many bullets on one little target compared to boltor.

imo, boltor > gorgon

Team Boss nuking purposes, boltor < gorgon

Have both ranked/charged/modded.

I do like to solo Hades/Exta bosses, so I've tried Boltor and Gorgon respectively. And while I do like to pwn Grineers with my Boltor but. Boltor's damage is very low when fighting against Kril, altho I like the way he getting staggered, with almost no chance to fightback. In Hades however, Boltor works better, but against Ambulas I still prefer Gorgon's DPS. Most of time I end up picking my Gorgon, simply because I can kill these bosses in no time with it. I also don't have any problems killing things with both of these weapons, nor I have problems aiming with Gorgon.

So, I prefer to use Gorgon in most cases. Sometimes I do use Boltor when I feel like nailing things. :3

Edited by Dendrobium