Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Improving usefulness of early kuva lich attempts

BearPerson

In the eternal topic of lich improvement suggestions:

I wish the lich attempt-kill mechanic could yield not just "word correct" and "word wrong" results, but also "that word is in the kill phrase, but not in that position".

I have a metagame reason for this change:

Right now, things seem balanced that the first lich encounter and the first murmur solve happen around the same time.
However, the current mechanics incentivize players to ignore the lich spawn if it happens, specifically:
If on the first encounter I try word A, fail, then get a murmur for word B, try that on the second encounter, and it succeeds, that first encounter retroactively has no value:
The only information it gave me was that the first position is not A, which is now no longer useful information.
In fact, it's providing negative value, because my lich leveled up, making the remaining fight harder unnecessarily.
Ultimately, there's a 1-in-3 chance that blind attempts are obsoleted by the first murmur, and a 2-in-3 chance by the second murmur. That's just awful odds.

This leads to a somewhat monotonous optimal strategy, of getting your first two murmurs while ignoring lich spawns,
and only trying out kills if you have a murmur-revealed word to test out, until you get to the brute-force-remaining-word phase.

If, instead, a kill attempt revealed information as described above, now kill attempts have universal value (provided you're not trying the same phrase over and over),
since "wrong" now means "that word is not in ANY position" and that continues to have value throughout the lich's lifetime.
There would still be the unlucky potential of confirming a word by blind kill attempt and then getting a matching murmur solve,
providing no further information, but at least that's just "screwed by RNG" which warframe players are intimately familiar with, not "screwed by my prior decisions."

Of course, this may be obsolete if y'all are fundamentally redoing lich mechanics, but still, figured I'd put it out there - I think it might be a worthwhile change,
and it shouldn't be hard to do, apart from figuring out a good UI representation for the "yes, but elsewhere" result.

• Like 1