Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should I Dumb Down My Posts?

ForgemasterHD

Read an article about stupid internet cliches once. I think you'd appreciate this paragraph:

TL;DR
What It's Supposed To Mean

I didn't read this because it's too long.

Why I Hate It

I could have written about any number of internet cliche. "Fail," for example. It's overused and usually bandied about by idiots. But the thing is, some things actually do fail in their execution. There are situations where the term is appropriate, even if pathetically conveyed. Not true for TL;DR. TL;DR is never right. Yes, some things are too long, but in order to figure that out, there's something you have to do first: read it. Only then can you say whether the presentation lasted longer than the idea. Too long; wish I didn't read (or "TL;WIDR") would make sense, but that's about it.

But what irks me most about TL;DR is that people who use it have no shame. No one is perfect. We all have failings, but we're supposed to be ashamed of them. We're supposed to keep our sins and shortfalls in a dark place we hope no one ever finds. "**** that," says the Internet. "I'm functionally $&*&*#(%&, and I don't care who knows it! Words? ****. Who reads words? Sounds pretty lame." So go ahead; keep using "TL;DR." Just know that it is not an abbreviation for "too long; didn't read," but, instead, "hi, I am a miserable cretin of the Internet that must be spoon-fed pictures and factoids or I will &!$$ myself." You might be the type of person who disagrees that that's what it means, but trust me, it's what everyone who's smarter than you is thinking. And since you're not so big on reading, that's a lot of people.

So no is what I'm saying. Don't dumb your posts. If someone doesn't want to read, screw that guy.

Edited by Runlock

Make Point - BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLA

Make 2nd Point - BLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLA

Make 3rd Point - BLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLA

Don't lay out your thought process to us.

It all depends how you craft it.

If I'm writing a really long post for whatever reason I'll break it up with some light comedic relief.

Spoiler tags also can help break it up.

Also you have to consider the topic. 2000 words breaking down a major update is fine. 2000 words telling me why one gun is better than another is not.

Make Point - BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLA

Make 2nd Point - BLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLA

Make 3rd Point - BLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLABLA BLA BLA

Don't lay out your thought process to us.

One of my most popular posts on this site was one regarding elemental mods where I layed out my thought processes to the readers. The trick is being funny while you do it.

The most popular post I ever put on the forums was a joke on the first page of the Prime Time thread.

Make your posts short and sweet, but make sure they deliver the point.

Also doesn't hurt to make them funny.

Which contradicts the majority of my crap.