Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Stealth Mechanic

FatRefrigerator

I often wondered about this myself. If I tried super hard on a given mission, I might be able to take out three guys without being detected...but there are just an insane number of security panels in this game. I think there are like 10 per room. Lets say I enter a room, and there are 3 guys. I mad dash one of them and take him out. The other two will reach a security panel within 5 steps and sound the alarm. For a game the devs are toting as "Space Ninjas" there isn't a lot of stealth involved.

Aside from that, AWESOME game. I purchased my founder pack 2 hours after trying it out.

I often wondered about this myself. If I tried super hard on a given mission, I might be able to take out three guys without being detected...but there are just an insane number of security panels in this game. I think there are like 10 per room. Lets say I enter a room, and there are 3 guys. I mad dash one of them and take him out. The other two will reach a security panel within 5 steps and sound the alarm. For a game the devs are toting as "Space Ninjas" there isn't a lot of stealth involved.

Aside from that, AWESOME game. I purchased my founder pack 2 hours after trying it out.

If you're sneaky enough currently the only way of killing an enemy without alerting everyone is by killing him with 1 hit of your melee weapon (or 2 if you're quick about it) Noone else will notice long as they don't have line of sight of you. But beating a mission without alerting anyone nets you very little to 0 xp so it's lacking the high risk = high reward factor.

If you're sneaky enough currently the only way of killing an enemy without alerting everyone is by killing him with 1 hit of your melee weapon (or 2 if you're quick about it) Noone else will notice long as they don't have line of sight of you. But beating a mission without alerting anyone nets you very little to 0 xp so it's lacking the high risk = high reward factor.

It's not so much of a risk/reward thing as it is a take-your-time vs. rush-through-it standpoint. The extra XP for being stealthy would be a reward for taking your time, putting in the effort, and having the required skill to complete a mission stealthily.

It seems like the awareness states are already in, but the suggested detection would be interesting to see implemented. Depending on the engine the devs are using, AI awareness can be tricky.

What could be improved;

-Better audio cues for when states change

-Better visual cues for when states change (character animation, mostly)

-Longer delay when NPCs hit panels to alert security. Right now they seem to hit the waypoint/nav of the panel and security goes off without even an animation playing.

-Add the ability to hack a terminal before an alert can be made. This would add several seconds of delay to NPCs triggering an alert via panels.

-Add panels to more doors and allow players to lock and unlock green doors, giving hacker players the ability to temporarily prevent enemies from flooding into a room from that direction (until the door can be unlocked by the hostile mobs).

-Allow players to hack terminals near turrets to reprogram turret IFF.

-Shooting windows sucks enemies out into space, but quickly drains player health if the timer runs out.

-Puzzle timer shouldn't start until the player actually clicks on a piece of the puzzle.

-Security isn't alerted unless the timer on a puzzle runs out OR a glowy red segment crosses the link you're trying to connect. Add glowy red lines to all puzzles, so if players are sloppily flipping tiles, they know how they're alerting security vs the seemingly arbitrary alerts which happen now.

-Puzzle timers are based on what you're attempting to hack. Optional hacks listed above are shorter. Mandatory hacks like airlock or lockdown are longer and easier.

-Melee backstab/takedowns would be fantastic. Alpha Protocol used lethal and non-lethal takedowns. This sort of feature could be used in case 'killing' robots causes security to alert.

-Shooting cameras should cause a security alert. Hacking panels disables cameras without detection.

None of these hacks should be required for mission progression (exception being windows and security lockdown). Difficulty and alert status should also vary based on what the player is attempting. Reprogramming turret IFF and adding delay to alerts would involve much more challenging puzzles than lockdowns, airlock, etc.

I may have more later.

It seems like the awareness states are already in, but the suggested detection would be interesting to see implemented. Depending on the engine the devs are using, AI awareness can be tricky.

What could be improved;

-Better audio cues for when states change

-Better visual cues for when states change (character animation, mostly)

-Longer delay when NPCs hit panels to alert security. Right now they seem to hit the waypoint/nav of the panel and security goes off without even an animation playing.

-Add the ability to hack a terminal before an alert can be made. This would add several seconds of delay to NPCs triggering an alert via panels.

-Add panels to more doors and allow players to lock and unlock green doors, giving hacker players the ability to temporarily prevent enemies from flooding into a room from that direction (until the door can be unlocked by the hostile mobs).

-Allow players to hack terminals near turrets to reprogram turret IFF.

-Shooting windows sucks enemies out into space, but quickly drains player health if the timer runs out.

-Puzzle timer shouldn't start until the player actually clicks on a piece of the puzzle.

-Security isn't alerted unless the timer on a puzzle runs out OR a glowy red segment crosses the link you're trying to connect. Add glowy red lines to all puzzles, so if players are sloppily flipping tiles, they know how they're alerting security vs the seemingly arbitrary alerts which happen now.

-Puzzle timers are based on what you're attempting to hack. Optional hacks listed above are shorter. Mandatory hacks like airlock or lockdown are longer and easier.

-Melee backstab/takedowns would be fantastic. Alpha Protocol used lethal and non-lethal takedowns. This sort of feature could be used in case 'killing' robots causes security to alert.

-Shooting cameras should cause a security alert. Hacking panels disables cameras without detection.

None of these hacks should be required for mission progression (exception being windows and security lockdown). Difficulty and alert status should also vary based on what the player is attempting. Reprogramming turret IFF and adding delay to alerts would involve much more challenging puzzles than lockdowns, airlock, etc.

I may have more later.

Yes, I really like all of these ideas, this is good stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I really like all of these ideas, this is good stuff

Thanks. I've worked on a few AAA games featuring stealth. This stuff shouldn't be too difficult to implement onto the existing systems. It really just depends on how much time their team has to hit it. I'd love to see how their procedurally-generated level stuff works.

Thanks. I've worked on a few AAA games featuring stealth. This stuff shouldn't be too difficult to implement onto the existing systems. It really just depends on how much time their team has to hit it. I'd love to see how their procedurally-generated level stuff works.

I assume their main focus is going to be on stealth. In fact I hope it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...