The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mercy finishers and fixed camera

Steel_Rook

I have a simple request - can I please be allowed to disable the fixed during Mercy Finishers and (if possible) Lich Executions? Personally, I don't like it when the game takes control of my camera for the sake of trying to be "cinematic." It's always disruptive and takes me out of the experience. I've nothing against preanimated takedowns, just against taking control of my camera. We've had non-fixed-camera melee finishers for years. What was wrong with those? Now Mercy finishers all too often jam my camera into walls and through enemies and at awkward angles, where I'd much rather retain control of it so I can pan around and actually look at the animation.

I'm not asking for the fixed camera to be removed form the game. Just, please give me an option to turn it off. It doesn't add anything to my experience.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

I wish we could at least shake off the camera lock ( either pressing x again or violent mouse movement removed the camera lock ). Because options burried on the menu often go unnoticed. 

Yes, options for minor convenience like that are often overlooked, but I'd still rather have them than not. I'm not opposed to also having a way to manually cancel the camera lock, but I'd still like to have an option to disable it entirely. When video games take control of my camera, I tend to find it jarring and disorientating. I can understand this maybe for bosses like the Exploiter and the Jackal. However, there exists the Ropalolyst, and that's a boss that doesn't lock your camera when you grapple with it. What, then, would be the issue with stabbing the Jackal or pulling pieces off the Exploiter without camera lock? I guess the latter also has a full-party teleport after the cutscene, but the Jackal doesn't... Does it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mitranim said:

Now I'll be even more annoyed with locked camera every time I Parazon someone. Thanks...

Sorry 🙂 To be fair, I mostly realised this when watching a friend of mine execute his own Lich. I hadn't paid attention earlier, but it struck me just how much better the animation looked with a natural camera angle that I controlled, vs. the "angry closeup" of the default fixed camera. Watching other people do preanimated finishers just looks more natural because it feels more integrated into world.

9 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Yes, options for minor convenience like that are often overlooked, but I'd still rather have them than not. I'm not opposed to also having a way to manually cancel the camera lock, but I'd still like to have an option to disable it entirely. When video games take control of my camera, I tend to find it jarring and disorientating. I can understand this maybe for bosses like the Exploiter and the Jackal. However, there exists the Ropalolyst, and that's a boss that doesn't lock your camera when you grapple with it. What, then, would be the issue with stabbing the Jackal or pulling pieces off the Exploiter without camera lock? I guess the latter also has a full-party teleport after the cutscene, but the Jackal doesn't... Does it?

Bad wording on my part I'm not exactly agaist a menu option ( they are nice QOL and people that really want them usually find them). I also want the oprion to shake of the camaera because this option is easyer to stumble upon. 

About the how I feel about the ridiculous levels of zoom I feel the same way I feel about the overuse of shake cam on movies. If you ever had the parazon console finisher bug ( your warframe just interacts with the enemy the same way it would interact with a console ) it is so easy to notice how disorienting the normal finisher is.

3 hours ago, keikogi said:

Bad wording on my part I'm not exactly agaist a menu option ( they are nice QOL and people that really want them usually find them). I also want the oprion to shake of the camaera because this option is easyer to stumble upon. 

Fair enough, then - we agree 🙂 I'm not opposed to players being able to take back control from a fixed camera even if they leave the option on, and we seem to agree that having the opinion in the first place is a good thing.

3 hours ago, keikogi said:

About the how I feel about the ridiculous levels of zoom I feel the same way I feel about the overuse of shake cam on movies. If you ever had the parazon console finisher bug ( your warframe just interacts with the enemy the same way it would interact with a console ) it is so easy to notice how disorienting the normal finisher is.

I'm convinced that this isn't so much a "bug" as it is a "fallback." If for whatever reason the player character can't be positioned properly to initiate the Parazon animation, play "something, anything" just to avoid soft-locking the player like. Parazon finishers are particularly prone to nasty soft-locks, as you've likely discovered if you've tried executing a Lich while he's falling off the map. Ugh... It looks janky, but I'm glad it's there.

And yes, I agree. Dumb as it might look, it does show that this works just fine without initiating an "angry closeup" finisher animation. It really does feel like those awful action movie "fight scenes" where the camera shakes and the cuts around every quarter second so you can't tell what's going on. I've actually jokingly called one of the Parazon execution animations the "Tactical Slap." From the camera perspective, it looks like my Warframe takes a running leap and delivers a massive, fatal open-palm slap across the enemy's face. And then there's the one which looks like my Warframe is picking the enemy up by his crotch and slamming it over my shoulder... I suspect some of those issues may be down to the fixed camera forcing me to over-examine simple animations where I normally wouldn't 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

I'm convinced that this isn't so much a "bug" as it is a "fallback." If for whatever reason the player character can't be positioned properly to initiate the Parazon animation, play "something, anything" just to avoid soft-locking the player like. Parazon finishers are particularly prone to nasty soft-locks, as you've likely discovered if you've tried executing a Lich while he's falling off the map. Ugh... It looks janky, but I'm glad it's there.

I initially assumed that too than I thought they would just create a fallback animation of stab to chest ( no leg moviment involved or camera moving ) so people would not even notice that the game bugged. Not sure of this of noticed later on the development cycle and the animation side was already done.