The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

[Simplified Chinese] Parazon Translation Error

BenkerDevice

In short, the current simplified Chinese translation on Parazon is not just inaccurate, but totally wrong from the start.

Here is how it looks in game:

O9rLWUD_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

The word means: "Blade that is used to vanquish Kuva Lichs", in a nicely written form that would please most simplified Chinese user, yet not even close to accurate.

First of all, this translation specified that this weapon is used for "Vanquish" Lichs, and only Kuva Lichs. It failed to cover the possibility of "Convert" as the result of fighting your Lich, which is by your choice of course. As the launch of Sister of Parvos, new Corpus Lichs, Sisters, were introduced, and we also use Parazon in the process of fighting Sisters. As this weapon is specified to be used on Kuva Lichs, now it makes no sense at all.

Second, although Parazon was launched with the Lich system, it is not only used on Lichs. There is console hacking and the new Jackal boss mechanism, which involved using Parazon as a data conduit rather than a lethal weapon, also used as a lasso in the same encounter and Railjack forge. Just as above, the current translation did not cover the full utility of this weapon, as it is specified to be a lethal blade.

Third, this translation may cause confusion and it is a spoiler for new players. In the Fossa node on Mercury, new players will face the Jackal, which requires using Parazon. And here is on of the transmissions before the encounter:

• Lotus: "Every Warframe has it its disposal special blade, a Parazon. As lethal as it to technology as it is to flesh. Disrupting the Jackal's auto-repair may require it."

Using the current translation here will indicate that the player is required to use a weapon designed to counter Kuva Lichs, which are not yet reveled to them at this time as it is locked planets away.

Finally, naming it with Lich related terms is in conflict with game lore. Parazon predates the appearance of Kuva Lichs in the time line, despite being launched at the same time. The in game description for Sigma Series Parazon Skins reads:

• This Parazon model was gifted to the first Warframe Railjack crew.

At launch, it looks like this "Warframe Railjack crew" means the players, since Cy mentioned that his crew is Dax only and there is no additional information mentioning any Warframe on Railjacks. Until the launch of Call of The Tempestarii, which included an Orokin era Railjack under the command of a Warframe, Sevagoth. This makes the players lost the tile of "first" on Railjack Warframe crews as there might be other Warframe Railjack crew other than Sevagoth, and thus this Parazon skin should be meant for a certain crew back in the Gold Age if not Sevagoth himself. 

As is mentioned above, this translation obviously need a rework. And here is some of my humble opinions.

1. I can't actually find a proper Chinese translation for the origin of Parazon, the parazonium dagger. It is simply called 罗马三角形仪式匕首 which literally means "a Roman triangular ceremonial dagger", so this is no a possible approach.
  2. The in game performance of this item resembles the Data Knife in Titanfall series, a multi-tool that can be used to hack/disrupt electronics while also being a lethal melee weapon. In the process of converting a Lich/Sister, an execution was also performed, therefore it is possible to say that Parazon can also alter biological structure, in this case the brain of the Lich/Sister.
  3. However, this item is not used as a conventional melee weapon. It is only used as a weapon when performing mercy execution or targeting Lich/Sister weak spots. This actually fits the "ceremonial dagger" mentioned above, a ritual execution.
  4. And don't forget the lasso function, you can see that rope extending from your wrist while waiting to choose covert or vanquish, also in the Jackal encounter mentioned above. This makes it a dagger on a rope.
  5. Therefore, I think the proper translation for this item should be 破击之刃, which means "a blade used for sabotage (破) and attacks (击)". This covered both main utility for this item, sabotage through hacking or striking Lich/Sister's weak spot and perform lethal finishers on enemy. I find it impossible to implicate the lasso function here, though both words I choose to represent it's function do not specify the method to do so, which is a middle point I can find, also makes it compatible with most if not all future update on the usage of Parazon.

PS: I haven't use simplified Chinese version of Warframe since before the launch of Plains of Eidolon, wasn't aware of this situation until no long ago. I can provide further assistance if needed.

Archived