Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unleash The Fury! We Want To Give The "berzerker" Frame A Proper Name

Llyssa

I don't care. Only a handful amount of warframes actually live up to their names, the rest are purely named because it's "Cool". 

I believe this is one of those "cool" names that don't live up to the mythology. To be honest, I am fine with that and I am not going to make a pointless fuzz over something so simple as a name. As long as the gameplay is good she could be called Dirtroller for all I care. 

"Cool" is relative.

Calling an Orange a Pickle isn't cool IMO.

Her name would fit better as something that implies an ACTUAL ****ING Beserker!

Not a Cat

Not an Angel

Not Dominatrix with whip cords.

This entire time DE's been trying to sell this off as a Beserker yet is trying to get as far way from that concept as possible.

I'm glad they're doing the abilities right, hopefully.

But a Beserker is by no means a Shield Baring Angel.

I sincerely hope name won't be changed again. Just imagine how would her Prime look, if Mynki decides to make it her how she should have been before the corpus inprisonment.

Think for a moment.

If her prime version is honestly an Angel, would it make ANY sense that she'd still be ripping things apart with energy claws?

"Cool" is relative.

Calling an Orange a Pickle isn't cool IMO.

Her name would fit better as something that implies an ACTUAL ****ING Beserker!

Not a Cat

Not an Angel

Not Dominatrix with whip cords.

This entire time DE's been trying to sell this off as a Beserker yet is trying to get as far way from that concept as possible.

I'm glad they're doing the abilities right, hopefully.

But a Beserker is by no means a Shield Baring Angel.

Think for a moment.

If her prime version is honestly an Angel, would it make ANY sense that she'd still be ripping things apart with energy claws?

Well, of course it would. What else would you expect? Angellic choir as ulti?

Lets see, if the the Loki warframe we have was named Thor, would its be still as cool right? :D

The only warframe that strayed off a bit from its name source is Nyx. DC people should be serious about giving and approving about naming new warframes ==.

And i read somewhere, Becca said that its subject to change so suggesting fitting names is on the track.

Well, of course it would. What else would you expect? Angellic choir as ulti?

that is why naming her like that would not fit her.

Edited by KuzkinaMat

I found the following page about the Furies.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/222733/Furies

Since there is a rather general consensus regarding a shift towards referencing the Furies, perhaps we should suggest some names and OP could put them in the first post for people to vote on?

I suggest "Allecta" which is a feminized form of "Allecto" which means "Unceasing in Anger", according to the posted link.

Edit:

Also Erinys could work, a different name for the furies which means "The Avengers"

Edited by TheThreadWeaver

I found the following page about the Furies.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/222733/Furies

Since there is a rather general consensus regarding a shift towards referencing the Furies, perhaps we should suggest some names and OP could put them in the first post for people to vote on?

I suggest "Allecta" which is a feminized form of "Allecto" which means "Unceasing in Anger", according to the posted link.

Edit:

Also Erinys could work, a different name for the furies which means "The Avengers"

These are great suggestions! Hats off to OP for being spot-on, although still more suggestions would be great!

Erinys is IMO the best option.

Anything that rolls off the toungue

Can be googled to get the proper result, or immediately sounds relevant.

And fits or represents the character's function.

Vauban can be googled to find a French Military Engineer, extremely relevant to his character and function.

Volt, Ember, Frost, Nova, Loki, Excalibur, and Mag, all immediately give an idea of what they do.

Valkyr can't be pronounced aloud without some kind of glottal-tongue collision on the "-keer" syllable. And if you know anything about the English language and the accents, you'd know that even removing light vowel sounds from the end, especially "e" and "ie" completely screws with the pronunciation.

Erinys ("Erin-is") is much smoother.

Fallen Greecian Goddesses of Vengeance also fit perfectly because it is a "Beautiful form of Anger" and could be partially indicative of the way she was before her dissection.

It's not that I mind that her current work-in-progress name (DERebecca has confirmed it's able to change) being related to an angel.

But imo, it simply doesn't fit because it lacks the rage that is a key theme of the character.

Valkyrie = Warrior, bearing a shield.

Warrior =/= Beserker

Suggested Fury-inspired names:
The group:
Erinys (greek name)
Fury (latin name)
Dirae(alternate latin name)

The individuals:
Alecto (punisher of anger)
Tisiphone (punisher of murder)
Megaera (punisher of infidelity)

Related:
Nemesis (their buddy, and, interestingly, the name of the "original" warframe)
Adrasteia (alt. name for Nemesis)
Rhamnousia (another alt. name for Nemesis)

Oddly, I've noticed while double-checking these, the direct translations provided by most online sources are completely wrong.

For example, "Alecto" literally means "Without Speech", Megaera literally means "The Greatness", and "Tisiphone" literally means "Voice of the Weak".

As a personal note, I think "Tisiphone" would be the best name, just because of the awesomeness that implies.

Suggested Fury-inspired names:

The group:

Erinys (greek name)

Fury (latin name)

Dirae(alternate latin name)

The individuals:

Alecto (punisher of anger)

Tisiphone (punisher of murder)

Megaera (punisher of infidelity)

Related:

Nemesis (their buddy, and, interestingly, the name of the "original" warframe)

Adrasteia (alt. name for Nemesis)

Rhamnousia (another alt. name for Nemesis)

Oddly, I've noticed while double-checking these, the direct translations provided by most online sources are completely wrong.

For example, "Alecto" literally means "Without Speech", Megaera literally means "The Greatness", and "Tisiphone" literally means "Voice of the Weak".

As a personal note, I think "Tisiphone" would be the best name, just because of the awesomeness that implies.

Excalibur and Trinity seem to be the only ones to have gotten way with more then two Syllables.

And the last time that the Design Council tried for a Greek name, Athena, it was swiftly denied.

I hope they'll reconsider this time around though.

Naming it after one of the Greecian Furies would be badass beyond all levels.

Much more so then the Valkyries who are, at this point, over represented in video games and always in an incorrect fashion.

Edited by Yg-Dosst

Hey OP. It would be nice if you also edited the name suggestions into the First post, so that it's the first thing people see when they start reading the topic. That way it doesn't get buried and ignored in page 2.

(It would also be nice if DE gave feedback so we knew we weren't just spinning our wheels, but they're probably busy with U11 : P)

Edited by TheThreadWeaver

Hey OP. It would be nice if you also edited the name suggestions into the First post, so that it's the first thing people see when they start reading the topic. That way it doesn't get buried and ignored in page 2.

(It would also be nice if DE gave feedback so we knew we weren't just spinning our wheels, but they're probably busy with U11 : P)

Yeah. Was hoping to see some extra feedback before I popped it in(I'm not entirely certain on some translations, like "Erinys", which, as best as I can work out, means "Those consumed by passion". I imagine that's correct, but I'm not 100% sure.

Excalibur and Trinity seem to be the only ones to have gotten way with more then two Syllables.

And the last time that the Design Council tried for a Greek name, Athena, it was swiftly denied.

I hope they'll reconsider this time around though.

Naming it after one of the Greecian Furies would be badass beyond all levels.

Much more so then the Valkyries who are, at this point, over represented in video games and always in an incorrect fashion.

Interesting notes, but I have admit, 1: suggestions for a frame named "Athena" are from before I was on DC, and 2: Without looking, I can't actually figure out which frame that name would go to. My best guess is "Nyx", who, incidentally, still has a greek name.

By naming her Valkyr (which has nothing to do with her theme of being berserk aside from being a female warrior type warframe). Theyre restricting and adding confusion in warframe namings in the future. 

Naming her Valkyr(as the name implies), restricts her as the only female melee oriented warframe, that should've been reserved for the future, maybe for a female Rhino warframe (defensive/offensive), or a Supportive female melee warframe.

What?

The "Erinys" comes from "Erinyes", which is what I stumbled across in this wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinyes

Kind of a stylized change, similar to what they did with Saryn.

Hm. Noting that "Chthonia" or "Chthon" would be a good base for the name.

However, my point is,Erinyes breaks down:

Er - "desire"

in - "from"

"y" - turns a noun to an adjective, "having the property of"

"es" - turns an adjective to a noun, "object containing this property"

So, it would be "Those Born of Desire".

Which makes sense with Tisiphone et al. The connotation is interesting. However, I'm also not 100% sure on that.

While I applaud you for your skill with greek and the attention you are paying, I think you might also be over-thinking the exact connotations a little too much.

The basics that a game developer would worry about, I think, is whether the name being referenced is memorable, easy to say, and can be linked to some kind of reference material. Erinyes in a Google search brings back the Wiki page as the first hit, and Erinys brings it back as the second hit. A quick scan of the wiki page shows a possible connection to the Furies.

It is also easy to say and, in English, has both masculine and feminine tones based off of the phonetics and letters used.

I feel that, more than the exact anatomy of the word, this will be what is looked at.

While I applaud you for your skill with greek and the attention you are paying, I think you might also be over-thinking the exact connotations a little too much.

The basics that a game developer would worry about, I think, is whether the name being referenced is memorable, easy to say, and can be linked to some kind of reference material. Erinyes in a Google search brings back the Wiki page as the first hit, and Erinys brings it back as the second hit. A quick scan of the wiki page shows a possible connection to the Furies.

It is also easy to say and, in English, has both masculine and feminine tones based off of the phonetics and letters used.

I feel that, more than the exact anatomy of the word, this will be what is looked at.

I'd like to point out, for reference material, the Furies are found in the Oresteia, the Iliad, the Aeneid, and, of course, Bulfinch's Mythologies. There's lots of stories with them, they just are overly huge in pop-culture.

Hm. Noting that "Chthonia" or "Chthon" would be a good base for the name.

However, my point is,Erinyes breaks down:

Er - "desire"

in - "from"

"y" - turns a noun to an adjective, "having the property of"

"es" - turns an adjective to a noun, "object containing this property"

So, it would be "Those Born of Desire".

Which makes sense with Tisiphone et al. The connotation is interesting. However, I'm also not 100% sure on that.

And of Course Rage and Anger are indistinguishable from Passion and Desire.

The name gets more fitting as it goes by.

They said it was still possible to change.

ALSO: I'd like to point out, although, again, the current display name is "Valkyr", they're still calling her "Berzerker", so it's definitely not settled.

Edited by Llyssa

CHANGE THE NAME CHANGE THE NAME CHANGE THE NAMECHANGE THE NAME

Hey OP. Sorry to bother you again, but maybe it would behoove the topic to edit the title into something more representative of its current state? Maybe let them know that it's now basically community voting and suggestions for name changes?

Up for suggestions for a new thread name. Have a tenative one in mind, but if someone has something better, let me know.