The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Odd Fps?

Moe372

Hey guys,

I have recently been experiencing problems with my game and lag. I have re-installed the game, to no avail. I have also tried both the steam and stand-alone versions, doesn't seem to make a difference. The problem is that regardless of what settings I'm playing on(up to a certain point) I get around 45 fps. When I had first installed the game, I got 60 fps all the time. The really strange thing is that even if I turn the settings down ALL the way, I still get 45 fps. I also noticed that while multi-threaded rendering gave me a performance boost, 64-bit mode took away about 5 frames per second. (I am running 64-bit windows 7) Something is going wrong here. Any ideas? My specs are as follows:

Intel Core i3 540 (2 cores, both at 3.06Ghz (Hyperthreading enabled))

4gb DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 mb

It's your card. Unfortunately 256mb on a graphics card these days, is nearly unheard of.

Your specs are quite low, what resolution are you playing at?

1920x1080. Like I said in the OP, I had 60 fps at one point.

Also, That wouldn't explain why I get 45 fps if my settings are on high, and 45 fps on low.

Edited by Mathracer1

DE have made several changes to fundamental systems, with more to come in Update 11. 64-bit mode has been reported as a cause of crashes and other instability in some cases, so the FPS drop there isn't too surprising. There's also little consistency to the framerate in general, it can be 130 FPS one moment then plummet to 45 as soon as some enemies spawn, making measurement and comparison difficult.

The 4670 is a legacy card, you might try rolling back to a previous driver version (the current release for 4xxx cards, 13.9, was a little flaky for me, although I have a 7950). Other than that, there's not much you can do. The optimal settings to run with the least problems (judging from forums and elsewhere) seem to be 32-bit with multithreaded rendering, but unfortunately the in-game graphics options have very little impact on performance. This is a situation where it would be nice if DE did not obfuscate the .cfg files, to allow manual hand-tweaking, but that is not the case.

As much as I hate to say it, because it always comes across as a cop out, you might want to consider upgrading to a GPU that has 1GB of onboard memory. In my experience, Warframe uses about 600MB of RAM on the GPU. It's great that you can run the game, but with only 256MB onboard, the game has to swap data to/from main memory, which can impact performance as well. By all means, if you can live with what you have, do so, but bear in mind that performance is more likely to degrade than improve in the future as more visual flair and effects are added.

Come to speak of effects, the smoke/fog they added recently might be the whole of your performance problem, if it only appeared recently. Sadly, there's no way to disable the effect so far.

DE have made several changes to fundamental systems, with more to come in Update 11. 64-bit mode has been reported as a cause of crashes and other instability in some cases, so the FPS drop there isn't too surprising. There's also little consistency to the framerate in general, it can be 130 FPS one moment then plummet to 45 as soon as some enemies spawn, making measurement and comparison difficult.

The 4670 is a legacy card, you might try rolling back to a previous driver version (the current release for 4xxx cards, 13.9, was a little flaky for me, although I have a 7950). Other than that, there's not much you can do. The optimal settings to run with the least problems (judging from forums and elsewhere) seem to be 32-bit with multithreaded rendering, but unfortunately the in-game graphics options have very little impact on performance. This is a situation where it would be nice if DE did not obfuscate the .cfg files, to allow manual hand-tweaking, but that is not the case.

As much as I hate to say it, because it always comes across as a cop out, you might want to consider upgrading to a GPU that has 1GB of onboard memory. In my experience, Warframe uses about 600MB of RAM on the GPU. It's great that you can run the game, but with only 256MB onboard, the game has to swap data to/from main memory, which can impact performance as well. By all means, if you can live with what you have, do so, but bear in mind that performance is more likely to degrade than improve in the future as more visual flair and effects are added.

Come to speak of effects, the smoke/fog they added recently might be the whole of your performance problem, if it only appeared recently. Sadly, there's no way to disable the effect so far.

Thanks so much for the info. It has only started recently, so you may be right about the smoke effect thing. Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade my GPU. I own a mac, and am bootcamping windows 7 exclusively for warframe. I currently have an older version of CCC, the one that came with my mac os install disks. Here's to hoping that they let you toggle the 'smoke' effect!

just a quick question as i see you are talking about 64 bit systems, is there even 32-bit client available? i have the 64-bit client, and i do experience similar problem right now, but i still can play normally, only sometimes getting fps drop and a lot of stuttering when in menus or on login screen, which is unusual, just at some time it started ... 

just a quick question as i see you are talking about 64 bit systems, is there even 32-bit client available? i have the 64-bit client, and i do experience similar problem right now, but i still can play normally, only sometimes getting fps drop and a lot of stuttering when in menus or on login screen, which is unusual, just at some time it started ... 

Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the actual launcher, or about the actual game? If you're talking about the launcher, then I would assume that there is ONLY a 32-bit launcher. I could be wrong in this, but pretty sure that's how they would have to do it. If you mean in the game, you can toggle between 64-bit and 32-bit games in the launcher. Just click the gear icon and check or uncheck the 64-bit mode.

On-Topic: This error seems to be resolved. U11 seems to have fixed it for for. I now get a constant 60 fps, no problem whatsoever. I also put some thought into why 32-bit mode would give better performance, and I believe I have finally figured it out. If I am not mistaken, 64-bit mode would use up to all my 4 gbs of ram. This would mean that I would have less, if any, extra RAM to spare. With my rig, I need extra memory for the graphics card, as my GPU only has 256 mb. As stated above, this means that the GPU is transferring data in between my RAM and VRAM. When I have 64-bit mode enabled, I don't have the same amount of space for the GPU to use, which in turn, slows down the GPU.  Just some info for those people out there who are having this issue.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the actual launcher, or about the actual game? If you're talking about the launcher, then I would assume that there is ONLY a 32-bit launcher. I could be wrong in this, but pretty sure that's how they would have to do it. If you mean in the game, you can toggle between 64-bit and 32-bit games in the launcher. Just click the gear icon and check or uncheck the 64-bit mode.

On-Topic: This error seems to be resolved. U11 seems to have fixed it for for. I now get a constant 60 fps, no problem whatsoever. I also put some thought into why 32-bit mode would give better performance, and I believe I have finally figured it out. If I am not mistaken, 64-bit mode would use up to all my 4 gbs of ram. This would mean that I would have less, if any, extra RAM to spare. With my rig, I need extra memory for the graphics card, as my GPU only has 256 mb. As stated above, this means that the GPU is transferring data in between my RAM and VRAM. When I have 64-bit mode enabled, I don't have the same amount of space for the GPU to use, which in turn, slows down the GPU.  Just some info for those people out there who are having this issue.

i mean the game itself - in game folder i only have x64 executable, but ok ill give it atry like you said, and i shouldnt have any problems with my rig, i7 -2.4ghz, 8gb ram, gt650 ... can run all newest games atleast on high settings ...

OK guys I don't really know how or what, but it seems my game stuttering is gone.

What I did was 

- I switched off all options (tesselation, shadows ...) and made shadow quality low, same with textures, turned vsync off, played one match and then i started turning options back on and just paid attention if world map has started stuttering, no it didn't turned everything back on (except for vsync) and wuola  everything is working nice and no stutters.

running 64-bit version with multi-thread option on.