Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Getting Very Tired Of Fighting The Jackal (Boss Feedback)

Mebhin

First off. This is not a feedback about the difficulty. If anything this is one of the easier bossfights (ignoring the crazy bugs with invisible/instant missiles)

My issue is how this fight has been made artificially long and is as a result very boring. In addition to the fact that it has shown up for every single corpus assassination alert that I can remember doing.

As you know, the Jackal has shields and cannot be hurt until you destroy one of his four legs. This is cool! I like this!

The Jackal then goes into a 'downed' state and you can attack his body. After ~4% damage has been done to him. He immediately gets up. He is then immune to damage for a few seconds and the process repeats. This immunity is awful as most players will unload all of their ammo to no avail.

No matter how much DPS you do or what abiltiies you try on him, you can never do more than 4% of his HP when he is downed. This means you have to down him around 25 times to kill him. It artificially lengthens the fight and bores everyone to tears as pretty much one person can solo him at level 84 while the rest just sit on their rears and maybe kill mine layers every so often.

The fights usually go like this:

Aggro the boss stand around 10 feet away from him.

Zoom into his front left leg (he stomps with his right leg so the left is a more stable target)

Shoot his leg twice with your hard hitting weapon of choice

Shoot his body once.

Hit Reload and Count to 5.

Watch your groupmates unload clip after clip into an invincible boss.

Repeat.

I would love to see a couple of things:

1) The damage cap on the boss' body removed during downed states. Have him stay down for 5 or 10 seconds. He will probably need more HP to compensate, but we really should be able to kill bosses quicker if we bring better gear.

2) The immunity to damage on his legs when he stands up retuned. I won't say removed as I realise this is probably to stop him bobbing up and down like a jack rabbit but it's very frustrating right now since there's no feedback. He simply doesn't take damage and I feel very bad for people trying to learn the fight and wasting all of their ammo.

3) Some assassination alerts with the Hyena and the Sniper dude for more variety!

Edited by Mebhin

protip when dealing with Fossa's Jackal:

1-Stand under him with a multi-hit melee weapon with charge damage at or above 180dmg. A single hit at one of his arms or legs will bring him down.

2-Spam charge attacks at him until he gets up

3-Repeat 1 through 2 until Jackal is dead.

With a level 20 loki and level 17 heat daggers with two rank 10 fire rate mods, if i ignore all the other enemies i can rush, kill jackal and get to extraction in under 5 minutes.

1) I wholeheartedly agree with; this is quite frustrating to play, and not very fun at all.

2) Maybe a different sound effect occurring when bullets hit his body in that state; a low clunk sound effect or something would instantly tell you it's not doing anything/is ineffective

3) Nef Anyo is a pretty lacklustre boss, but I definitely agree with more variety, even if we had to eliminate a level 86 Ambulas with +150 power range every now and again.

Even then I heard requests for Hyena to be downgraded to a lower senior mook in a sense of the corpus equivalent of Heavy Bombardier/Napalm. To me, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Corpus can be steamrolled way too easily at present, except for the bosses, and the Hyena is the only one that offers any real degree of difficulty.

shoot the leg

jackal's down

bang bang bang

shoot the leg

jackal's down

bang bang bang

repeat

????

profit (in a few minutes)

too easy IMO

4%? maybe you should come back to jackal once your weapon is better, or jackal has been updated after the hotfix

Edited by valkrein

shoot the leg

jackal's down

bang bang bang

shoot the leg

jackal's down

bang bang bang

repeat

????

profit (in a few minutes)

too easy IMO

4%? maybe you should come back to jackal once your weapon is better, or jackal has been updated after the hotfix

I think you misinterpret what he's saying. You can only do a fixed amount of damage to the boss while he is down. So no matter how powerful your weapon may or may not be, you will still only be able to get him down by a fixed amount of health, not at all related to your DPS.

Has someone read my post? Are you talking about alert jackals or the original one in Fossa? Because i said that i @(*()$ do it in less than five minutes by just standing under him and spamming charge attack. Dont even need to tank anything, because nothing causes damage (mine moas drop the mines on top of the jackal, so they actually help).

I think you misinterpret what he's saying. You can only do a fixed amount of damage to the boss while he is down. So no matter how powerful your weapon may or may not be, you will still only be able to get him down by a fixed amount of health, not at all related to your DPS.

yeah and the problem is 4% is too small.

just done jackal twice, dealt around 10% per down using 30 charged boltor..

Edited by valkrein

Well, yeah. He was probably exaggerating that aspect. 10-15% is much closer.

words

I read it, but just because you can do *something* doesn't mean that should be the only way to play properly. Whilst there should be room for Melee to do things better, especially since it's currently underpowered compared to other weaponry, it should also be possible to do fun stuff with the guns, too.

I counted 25 downs earlier on a level 70ish one which was where I got my 4% from. Using a HEK with 250% MS so I hardly need a better weapon :)

He gets up in one hit. I shoot the leg and he goes down in one hit. I shoot the body once, he gets up again. I was on my Ash at the time and tried using my blade storm to see if it did any more. Didn't change a damn thing (1500 damage and it still did roughly 4%)

Yeah, as I said, it's EASY. It's just a bit boring, artificially long and really shouldn't be.

Edited by Mebhin