Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scott/grineer Change Braton Mk1 And Lato To Have Primarily Puncture Damage (Please).

Othergrunty

Okay i'm not one to create lots of new threads, rather prefering to use existing threads, but since i don't see any thread where this could be posted with a high chance of the people in charge seeing it, i make a thread about it. Sorry for cluttering the board full.

As the thread title says, i think the starting weapons Braton Mk1 and Lato (and Aklato logicaly) need a complete switch in the damage type they deal currently.

The current focus on Slash damage is totaly non-sensical and only makes life for new players more difficult. Something that is definetly NOT wanted if Digital Extremes wants to keep a steady stream of new players to finance this game in the long run.

Just to make sure my point is clear let's look at some data.

The Braton Mk1 has following damage numbers.

Impact: 2.55

Puncture: 4.25

Slash: 10.20

Ironical the description says it has no strengths or weaknesses despite the damage clearly giving it one advantage and one big disadvantage. This stands in contrast to the superior regular Braton which deals exactly 6 in each category therefor being totaly balanced. Same goes for the Burston another early replacement option.

The Lato deals damage in similar numbers.

Impact: 1.8

Puncture:  3.0

Slash:  7.2

We see that both weapons primarily deal slash damage and have pittifull impact damage.

Slash damage is primarily effective against Infested and unarmored enemies. It however deals no additional damage to armored opponents and even has a strong damage reduction against robotic enemies.

However the enemies a new player will encounter for most of their early 30 or so hours will be Grineer and Corpus. One half of the most encountered Grineer (Lancers and Troopers) are ARMORED and more than half of all Corpus enemies you'll encounter will be ROBOTIC and have SHIELDs.

Meanwhile Infested the enemies where slash damage are most effective against can only appear randomly on lower leveled parts of the Solar systems and regulary only at the highest point. Heck as i type this we are actively removing Infested from one of the mid level areas of the solar system further reducing their encounter rate for new players.

So why do new players get weapons which are most suited against an enemy type they will barely encounter when they start out? It makes no sense and if it makes sense to Steve and Scott i would like to see their explanation, but seeing how they have more important things to do than answer to this thread, i would more prefer it for them to just aknowledge this problem without having to comment on it.

Now if you ask me, the logical thing for them to do would be to switch these numbers around either towards impact damage or far more better towards puncture damage.

Braton Mk1. should deal:

Impact: 4.25

Puncture: 10.20

Slash: 2.55

And Lato should deal:

Impact: 1.8

Puncture: 7.2

Slash:  3.0

This way new players would gain a good advantage over the Grineer they encounter in their very first levels, while still retaining enough damage potential when dealing with the Corpus in Venus. It would also be in line with the Latron (rifle version of the Lato based on it's name), Bolto, Boltor and the Furis. All are Tenno tech weapons, which deal a lot of puncture damage.

How do the new damage types interact with headshots? - I believe Grineer are considered 'unarmored' there and they are 'flesh' enemies when not armored so slash would be best... Not real certain about how all of it works yet.

I thought grineer were fully clad in armor, and their heads would just be 'weakpoints' that gives bonus damage. I may be wrong, tho.

Anyway, even with accurate starting weapons(mk1 and lato are pretty accurate i say) warframe shouldnt force new players to constantly headshot grineers :P

those 2 isn't even an armor piercing weapon in damage 1.0, so making those weapon still bad at armored enemy makes sense

also its to make new players learn to headshot frequently, or to make them get used to using abilities

Furis wasn't armor piercing or serrated damage in 1.0 either, but they made it a high puncture MP now (in contrast to the high impact MP that is now the Viper).

Likewise the Latron wasn't armor piercing in 1.0 but now it deals a whooping 28 puncture damage compared to it's 6 impact and slash. The Braton wasn't armor piercing but now it has as much puncture as it does have impact and slash damage.

ALL bullet (that excludes the Strun) firing early access Tenno weapons now deal either great or okay puncture damage, only the starter weapons Braton MK1 and Lato deal for some odd reason slash damage, the damage type new players need the least.

So no, i disagree, this makes absolutly no sense.

I currently level up a single Furis and taking it for mercury still means i need several body shots or at least a few head hits to kill a low level Grineer. However it's still a lot less than i would need if the thing had slash damage. So the argument that it would become too easy for new players doesn't fly here either.

Also headshots lose a lot of their meaning once you encounter Corpus as newby who have armored heads and unarmored bodies and are constantly followed around by robots who have a unique form of damage reduction which especialy affects slash damage.

All starting post can be reduced to a few points:

-Before a person can buy braton, only available weapons are MK-1 and Lato.

-All enemies in available planets are armored

-Freaking Damage 2.0 Skana can't one-shot Grineers in mercury with charged attack anymore!(raging)

-New players do NOT need to be put in hardcore immediately

Conclusion: NEED MOAR PUNCTURE(in the same voice as NEED MORE GOLD).