Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Oberon Rework Ideas

PlatypusWarriorX

A while back I tried designing a whole rework for our favorite king of the fairies. This is more of a collection of ideas I’ve had before and since that post. 

Again, when addressing Oberon, I try to think about what are to me his biggest flaws, namely his bad energy economy, low damage, unreliable CC and a passive that just falls short. This’ll be organized by his abilities. Without further ado…

Passive: Allied companions gain 25% health, armor and shield links with Oberon. Oberon’s own companion gets 1 free revive per mission.

- In the other post I suggested a new passive that spawned special empowered health orbs called Blooms that granted increased ability duration and efficiency and gave allied companions a free revive for 15 seconds (cooldown on the revive). Other potential effects could be excess healing turning into energy or shields, or simply adding strength to his other abilities. 

- Either as a natural additional effect or maybe an augment, the health, armor and shield links could also apply to allied warframes in affinity range.

- Alternatively, companions could also gain 25% links to primary critical and status chances.

- Oberon’s companion could get double the bonuses.

Smite: Sends a number of projectiles out from the target to enemies in range. The initial target takes a forced knockdown and stack of radiation, while the projectiles force a puncture weaken effect and have a low radiation status chance. 35% of the target’s maximum HP (health and shields) is divided among the projectiles.

- My initial idea was to give Smite more potent CC by increasing the threat of the initial target to irradiated enemies for a few seconds. On death, the target could have a chance to drop a health orb (or Bloom)

- The hit point conversion could scale with strength up to 75% (not on the helminth version).

Hallowed Ground: Creates a field in front of Oberon that damages enemies every half second with a chance to proc radiation while eliminating status effects for allies that stand on it.

- The single most requested change for this ability is for it to have the full 360-degree angle naturally to match Reckoning and reduce ability spam. Personally, it’s all that big a deal for me but it would be a very nice QOL improvement.

- The status immunity could last a short time after leaving the field, either by jumping or through terrain changes messing with the ability’s ground coverage.

- For the Bloom passive, health orbs that touch the field could become Blooms.

- Enemies who stand in the field could be progressively slowed for each stack of radiation on them, up to a maximum of maybe 50%, as if they “lose their will to fight”.

- If nothing else I would even take a small base duration increase.

Renewal: This ability does many things, so I’d recommend checking the wiki if you don’t know what it does. Essentially though, it’s a channeled ability that heals allies over time. As long as said allies entered the radius, Renewal will continue to heal them wherever they are. Affected allies can also stand on Hallowed Ground to gain armor for the ability’s entire duration.

- Affected allies will lose the buff if they fall off the map or run into a nullified bubble, with no way to regain it unless Oberon recasts. Thus, a radius that follows Oberon consistently and can be reentered would be a solid improvement. Maybe to balance it the range could be shorter.

- Another popular request is a drain cap so poor Oberon isn’t burning through his reserves trying to heal 18 things all at once. I would say maybe let the drain/s and drain cap scale with ability efficiency.

- Companions should heal for free.

- We could have a slightly reduced flat armor bonus but also give Iron Renewal a 25% armor link, with both values scaling with strength. This might help it scale better in high levels.

- The effectiveness of Renewal could be affected by other sources, like attacking irradiated enemies, or picking up a Bloom, etc so on and so forth.

Reckoning: Lift enemies up into the air and slam them down. On top of the damage the targets will also release a small AOE blind effect upon being slammed and a forced radiation proc. Targets that were on Hallowed Ground when Reckoning is cast will have their armor stripped by 50%, and irradiated targets take increased damage. Enemies that die to this ability’s effects have a 50% chance to drop a health orb.

- One of the issues with Reckoning is how expensive it is for all the important things it does for Oberon, but between this, and Renewal preventing some conventional workarounds for energy issues, he’s left without many options. Even if you run Equilibrium the orb drop chance just doesn’t work in higher levels where the damage can’t keep up. One remedy could be to change the orb drop chance to apply during the entire blind duration, reducing the chance to 30 or 40%. Big QOL.

- To help with damage, the bonus on irradiated targets can increase with each radiation stack. Maybe the base damage could be a little higher too.

- Alternatively, when they slam down irradiated enemies could release an AOE blast in an area equal to the blind radius, damaging everything in it for a small portion of their max hit points. This creates a sort of theme with Smite and should increase Reckoning’s damage output significantly in high levels, especially when used with a grouping tool.

- Many have suggested improvements to Reckoning’s armor stripping to help it feel less clunky. An innate armor reduction that’s increased on enemies standing on Hallowed Ground doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

- Or, the strip could change to simply apply to irradiated enemies. That keeps synergy with Hallowed Ground without forcing it.

Who knows if devs even read things like this, but hey, maybe it’ll happen! 

What are your ideas? I’m all ears!