Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets fix relay lag, can we create a separate worker thread to handle loading in player instances in hubs and relays?

Eternal

As it currently is, the relay system works inside the main render thread which will make the entire game WAIT for player instance data to be loaded and then phase in the actual models of the players once the account data is also loaded. This causes way too much initial lag when walking into relays and hangs for even longer in busy instances with more players. Relays and hubs like the Zariman section off different parts to load and unload player instances (to save on performance) which will also cause the game to hang when moving into different sections of the hub. Yes, it only lasts 5-10 seconds but when speedrunning bounties it makes it incredible annoying having to fight the game to let me move over to another npc just to start another bountie.

If a background worker thread were made to handle loading all of this information in, it would completely fix this issue. Letting the information stream in the background and then popping it in once it was ready would make every relay and hub completely lag free without ever disrupting the player, which to me, would make the entire experience of loading into these instances way less jarring and overall increase player QoL.

Now I know the relay system is quite old and this more than likely isn't on the highest list of priorities but I think it would be a very welcome change across the board on ALL platforms.

Thanks for the read 👍