The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lackluster Corpus Gas Levels

Soaron

First of all, congrats on the update! The new frame looks amazing, and Ember Prime? OH HECK YES!!

Now, I was very excited about the new Corpus gas levels, but I was very underwhelmed by them. After the absolutely stunning work done for the Orokin Derelict (some of the best environment work I have ever seen) and the nice break from your usual space warehouse stuff in Phobos, the Jupiter work is very lackluster. Still pretty much the same layout and look as the rest of the Corpus stuff, lots of large flat areas and long bridges and corridors that use the same texture as other Corpus sets.

The gas effect on the sky looks like some generic fog setting and the repeating ship in the distance makes it look almost amateur. Should have only been 1 ship or at least have the other one rendered at a different angle. I mean, this being Jupiter, the possibilities of having an awesome, almost-psychedelic sky full of swirls are infinite and in game I feel I am looking at some out-of-the-box fog setup. Also, almost everything but a few large gas machines seem to be the same assets as every other Corpus set. And those even look a bit generic, as if you were texturing using tiling textures instead of uniquely created ones.

I feel like this is almost WIP and incomplete and I hope this is the case. I really, really hoped for a Corpus set that offered a new vibe and feel and I know your art team is more than capable of that, so I wonder what happened here.

Anyway, good work on all the new stuff!

I respectfully disagree. I think they are legitimately amazing. Yes they look Corpus, but they are. They have a refreshing verticality that is totally lacking from other tiles and have lots of neat touches and hidden rooms.

^ This

The gas cities are so unlike the other tile sets considering their physical layout. Sure the art assets will have a 'Corpus' feel to them, but that should be expected. The skybox may not be perfect, but overall the atmosphere is great, and such a contrast from the Corpus ships and outposts. Regardless, DE will most likely continue to add to the gas cities, just as they have continued to add to the other tile sets.

Oh yeah... I love DE. They improved all the stuff I complained about. The new sky looks amazing, and even though they still repeat the distant ship, they changed the size and angle (just mirrored it, but OK).

I thought I was going mad, trying to remember the old look, and this is what I found on a Wikia page

Alad_V_battle.jpg

Alad_scenematic.jpg

Yeah... that plain yellow fog was really bothering me. Now we get the nice swirly, oily gases... It looks awesome. Good job DE, I love you!

Since I know you guys listen to fans... Here are a couple suggestions:

Those panels that have the scrolling blue energy... We're all pretty familiarized with that Corpus piece of tech... It is interesting, but at this point it's just too familiar. Since these are gas refineries, wouldn't it be cooler to see some gas stuff happening there? Something like gas flowing behind some embossed glass panels or something? That would be a nice break from that scrolling UV blue stuff. It would be awesome if you just went ahead spent a bit more geometry, hollowed out those panels, added a gas particle inside so that it doesnt just look like scrolling texture and have a glass covering... that would be awesome :3

I know this is Corpus architecture (to reply to the replies I got above) but man, I know you guys can pull of something that will bring a bit of difference to these levels. My quick suggestion is that it maybe needs more pipes and tubes (in a Corpus style to differentiate from the pipe-heavy Grineer stuff) that could be on the paneling, etc. In a way to break the super-straight boxy look of Corpus (not because Corpus stuff shouldn't be boxy, but because it would be a good variety specifically in gas levels).

I can be a bit of a nitpicker when it comes to art stuff, but that's because you have proved that you can pull of some really great stuff with the somewhat polygon-cheap environments you make, and I love this game too.

Maybe at some point I will screengrab and be more specific with what I mean.

Thanks!